ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Great looking engine. Where's the cambelt? Are they usually hidden away like that?

Its under the cambelt cover and top engine mount. Perfectly normal.

But often people take pics of it before they have the top mount on as it can be easier to line up if thats not all bolted in place straight away.

Ie:
P1000843.jpg

Its under the cambelt cover and top engine mount. Perfectly normal.

But often people take pics of it before they have the top mount on as it can be easier to line up if thats not all bolted in place straight away.

Ah I see. Never really paid much attention before. Isn't the aux belt change a cam belt off jobbie too though? From the pictures I struggle to see why this would be the case. Or was it the other way round lol - that would make more sense.

Both those engines look mint!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ah I see. Never really paid much attention before. Isn't the aux belt change a cam belt off jobbie too though? From the pictures I struggle to see why this would be the case. Or was it the other way round lol - that would make more sense.

Both those engines look mint!

Other way around mate, you cant change the cambelt unless you take the aux belt off.

Do i have to check it and set the timing this time?
Haha no mate it's spot on and so is the tensioner unlike the last engine! :D
Fred posting at 8.13 :eek:
Haha I thought the same ;)
All coming together nicely, certainly looks fresh
Thanks Mike :)
Tango-tastic! Can I have it, please? Looking good mate. :D
Haha I think I need to brighten it up a little more ;) I'll swap you this engine for all the parts you are buying for yours :rasp:

Yeah :(! Don't worry no substandard stuff is going back in!

Thanks Russ! Haha I will hopefully keep it looking this good all season :) Hopefully will have some diff news in the next few days! I'm hoping all done and ready to collect before xmas

Shhhhhhhuuusshhh, ;) I'll send you a PM ok.

Regards Russ......

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Well done on building the engine, it doesn't look half bad ;) and if it goes even half as quick as it looks it will give the Burpspeed boys some jip!

Update:

So over the last few weeks I have been sorting out bits for the spare engine (will be used for next season) The plan was to buy something in fairly decent nick and transfer the 421 cams over along with the throttle bodies, tweak the cam timing from how it was originally (was miles off what cat cams recommended to me) and then get the map tweaked to suit.

Firstly I got the new engine off the pallet and loaded it onto the engine stand for inspection. Luckily learning from my mistake the last time I collected an engine and filled the back of the van with oil I checked this one before tipping it upside down and sure enough it was full of oil too! The oil was fairly black so I was a little concerned but once I had the sump off the bores look ok, no crank end float, and the bearings were in good condition.

file-1.gif

file-2.gif

I am going to be incorporating oil pressure and oil temperature sensors into the new loom so I got my local engineering man to make me up an aluminium boss to be welded into the sump.

file.gif

The sump was corroded and very coke'd up on the inside so I degreased it as much as possible and my welding chap welded the boss in, I then blasted the sump on the outside and put it through the dishwasher to clean it up good as new :)

file-20.gif

file-21.gif

I then removed the rocker cover to paint, this was done by masking up all the bolt heads to stop the bolt seats from being painted. It got etch primered and then sprayed in FF-Racing orange :) The block was painted black with VHT and I gave the head a clean up too.

file-5.gif

file-7.gif

file-6.gif

file-10.gif

file-11.gif

file-12.gif

file-13.gif

Next up was to assemble the bits together to make sure everything fit okay. The alternator brackets had come back from powder coating so they were fitted but the length of the aux belt meant that once tensioned the alternator touched the underside of the ITB's which it used to do from when it was originally built but as with everything else BTM fixed this by running a slightly shorter belt which dropped the alternator and gave clearance so I did the same with the new brackets.

file-9.gif

I then fitted the oil cooler take off and oil pressure tee but unfortunately when the tee is tightened it leaves the sensor hole where the oil filter is so I need to work out a solution for this.

file-8.gif

The following day when all the paint had dried it was time to fit the cams and build up the rest of the engine. One of my friends (NorthloopCup) was up near Leeds so very kindly he offered to come along with his Renault timing tools and help me out and also teach me how to fit the cam belt. This went smoothly and I think I would now be able to manage it all on my own in future so massive thanks to Mark for that and all the other help he gives me :) Thanks also to Chip and Fred who both offered to come up and do the timing on the engine for me very kind of you to offer!

After this I refit the covers and then fit a new set of spark plugs along with a set of ARP rod bolts. Luckily I realised the torque figures on the rodbolts are in Ib/ft rather than nm as I was going to put them in at 42nm but then read it again and realised!

file-18.gif

file-19.gif

Then that was it really just a new sump gasket, fit the ITB's and then tension the Aux belt ready to pop it into the the car.

file-22.gif

file-23.gif

file-24.gif

I have now ordered the gripper diff and all being well I am hoping to collect the gearbox from Agency before the xmas break so I can get the box painted and then fitted to the engine ready to go in the car.

All the parts came back from powdercoating so I will start assembling everything together next weekend.

file-15.gif

file-3.gif

The only thing that I haven't managed to get done to the deadline I set was the shell for welding and painting. I am still working on the setup for the front turrets so this is holding me back as i'm trying to work out the best way forward so the shell won't be going for welding and painting until January which I'm gutted about as I wanted to start the rebuild over xmas but this will still work out okay :) Wiring will start in February and when that is done then the car will be ready for shakedown! I make it sound so easy ;)

Thanks as always for reading

James

Shhhhhhhuuusshhh, ;) I'll send you a PM ok.

Regards Russ......
Whoooops :quiet: lol ;)
Really liking the updates mate. That engine looks fantastic!
Thank you very much :D
Well done on building the engine, it doesn't look half bad ;) and if it goes even half as quick as it looks it will give the Burpspeed boys some jip!
Haha thanks Simon! We will see what happens mate got to look at the grid as a whole instead of just one competitor ;)

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Thanks Russ! Haha I will hopefully keep it looking this good all season :) Hopefully will have some diff news in the next few days! I'm hoping all done and ready to collect before xmas

Did you get him (Russ) the 1:1 final drive he asked for ;)

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
No I ended up getting him 5 reverse gears and one forwards ;)[/QUOTE]

Cheers James that will give us a chance of beating him next year, :)

Tut Tut Colin :nono: lol!

Haha lets see if the car works first but yeah much more confident doing stuff on the car now than 12 months ago! Can't wait to drive it again really miss blasting it round a track :(

Looking back on that day at Anglesey when I came off thinking your car really should have been a lot quicker than mine makes me feel so depressed now

On the upside - next year will be awesome

Love the work you've done, I need to get my rocker covers painted up and bigger trumpets fitted and etc.. etc.. etc..
Trying to find the motivation to go out into the garage in the cold though is failing lol - fair play to you!!

With the oil pressure t-piece could you use a copper washer so that it nips tight a bit earlier - or some more ptfe tape?

TrackCar & F30 330d
Very snazzy!

With all this painting you'll end up with and orange car with silver bits!! Not a silver car with orange bits ;)

I'm only kidding, the bits and bobs are a nice colour!

Satisfying doing the work your self?