ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

220 Trophy
My callipers are off the car if you want me to get the number for you? I did have it written down somewhere but couldn’t find it yesterday when I looked. I spoke to Alcon a while ago and they said they didn’t produce different pins as I did ask them directly. I didn’t need to change the pin for the pads i’m using now though. Will be interesting to see what PF say if you could let me know please :)Yes definitely Mark, Unsure I will be testing at Brands this year due to funds but if I do then I will let you know and you can come and have a drive. We are racing there in May and as you say would be good to catch up!
Thanks, but it wont take 5 minutes so I'll get the part number off mine tonight to be sure. I could've got crossed-wires regarding the pin but will confirm with Alcon again tomorrow. I spoke with a very helpful guy at PF called Charlie, I learnt a lot about the different torque characteristics and basically the pads he would recommend for our cars are the 01 (which you're running) or the 07. The 07's aparently give better initial bite but might be prone to locking the wheels on a light car like the Clio but because I mostly drive Brands Indy would probably be better suited for me. I think for you, your car and racing it the 01's are best especially because you're not running ABS. I just need to get the part number tonight and speak with Alcon first to then find exactly which pad size/reference I need to give PF. I'm away for a lot of May but if around will take the day off and come and get in your way!

Lionel Richie
hence why i spec'd 01's for James' car, i'm good at this stuff!

Calipers on James' are 304/26-38/41LL i've got the correct PF number for 01's too PFC7745.01.16.44

WTF is Sam's website about lol.
Haha lol! I guessed it isn’t his site
Thanks, but it wont take 5 minutes so I'll get the part number off mine tonight to be sure. I could've got crossed-wires regarding the pin but will confirm with Alcon again tomorrow. I spoke with a very helpful guy at PF called Charlie, I learnt a lot about the different torque characteristics and basically the pads he would recommend for our cars are the 01 (which you're running) or the 07. The 07's aparently give better initial bite but might be prone to locking the wheels on a light car like the Clio but because I mostly drive Brands Indy would probably be better suited for me. I think for you, your car and racing it the 01's are best especially because you're not running ABS. I just need to get the part number tonight and speak with Alcon first to then find exactly which pad size/reference I need to give PF. I'm away for a lot of May but if around will take the day off and come and get in your way!
No I’m sure you are correct I was told they did a pin but then when I asked them they said they didn’t :(

Sounds great Mark will be good to see you :)
hence why i spec'd 01's for James' car, i'm good at this stuff!

Calipers on James' are 304/26-38/41LL i've got the correct PF number for 01's too PFC7745.01.16.44
You certainly know your stuff mate, the brakes were epic since the change :)

220 Trophy
Thanks Fred. The part number on mine looks to be exactly the same CRH304/28-38/41RL, other than the 28 rather than your 26, but perhaps this is just badly printed on one of our callipers. Regardless I guess it refers to the disc width they'll accept. I took one of the pads out and drew around the back plate and also made a note of the Pagid part number so I'll phone Alcon and see what shape of pad I'm meant to have. Am probably going to go for the 07's as I'm after a bit more initial bite plus I still have ABS.

220 Trophy
I found the correct calliper details myself on the Alcon site, I don’t think there is a '26' so must've just been a typo as they're all 28-32/32 or 28-38/41 Have also spoken with Alcon and PF again and in the end ordered a set of the 07's, same part number as your 01's but the 07 compound. I'm not sure that there ever was different pad sizes for our callipers?? - but Alcon are going to confirm this afternoon. As far as we can tell they only accept the one size of pad (obviously the different brands have slightly different shaped pads). Looking forward to testing them out!!

That was the problem for me, mine had the wrong size pads in to start with that were much smaller so I was just letting you know and hoping you didn’t have the same issue :)

This is what I originally had
file-32.jpg

And this is apparently the correct one
file-33.jpg

220 Trophy
A-ha I see, my 'old' Pagids are the same dimensions as your correct pad diagram and my new 07's are exactly the same dimensions as the 01's so it looks like I wont be gaining any pad surface but the 07 compound will hopefully make a big difference!!

220 Trophy
Have just come off the phone again with Matt at Alcon, he confirmed that there is definitely only the one pad shape & length that will fit our H-type callipers - there are small differences in pad depth but as I have found out from looking on the different manufacturer's sites only by a mm or so. He confirmed he was previously thinking of another style of their calliper where a larger pad can be fitted by replacing/adjusting (I cant remember which) the retaining pin. So possibly you were just 'unlucky' with the original pads that you found in your callipers, but the ones you have now are perfect size-wise as are the Pagids I'm taking out - but obviously I'm going for the PF 07's because of the different compound.

220 Trophy
No problem James and thanks for your help on this. The 07's, along with the rest of the shopping list, will be arriving at some point towards the end of next week so will pop them in next weekend and take it for a bedding-in session....!! What's the next job on the race-car?

No worries Mark anytime :) Sounds good!

Find some money is they next job unfortunately! Will get the shell back to rolling on its wheels over xmas and then that’ll be about it I think for a while. Not got a chance to get it ready for February like I originally planned just can’t afford it so it will just have to wait

Update:

Having a bit of a change in direction and plan for the winter rebuild unfortunately. I had planned the winter budget down to the last £ but unfortunately I can no longer spend what I was planning to so some of the nice tasty bits I was going to have are being cut.

The car is still getting the welding work done to get the shell fundamentally sorted and finished along with a repaint of the inside and engine bay. I will then be reassembling the car to a rolling shell which I will hopefully achieve by the new year. I will then be waiting until I can get the gripper diff ordered and once that arrives and is fitted to the gearbox then the engine and box can go back into the car. I was budgeting and really looking forward to a very nice BTM spec engine but unfortunately I am going to have to put this on hold until funds allow and I am going to be fitting my set of 421’s into my spare Ph1 engine and fitting a set of ARP’s. Along with Oil cooler, Oil temp and pressure gauges hopefully the engine will see me through until I can afford the proper engine when it can be removed and kept as the spare it was intended to be.

One of the biggest costs for winter was the re-wire with prices varying on spec and how much needed doing but it has become evident that it needed starting from scratch and the costs would of been very high by the end. I have spent the last few weeks researching car wiring and along with the help of Northloop (Mark) and Jay along with a few other I now how a much greater understanding of the basic principles of wiring. So I am now going to try and wire the car myself to save the man hours that cost the money in wiring looms. I plan to start this in February and am expecting it to take a month or so realistically as my OCD will add a lot of time to the process. Then the car will need the mapping to be tweaked as the Ph1 has a slightly different head and the cam timing is going to be very different to the last engine.

I will then be shaking the car down at Teeside hopefully and reflecting on a successful rebuild. As I say unfortunately can’t afford to do the trick things I was planning such as pit to car radio and other posh bits but I had to make my mind up between a year out and get everything perfect or compromise on the car and still be able to race and do track days which is the option I have gone with :)

The welding should be getting done in the next week or so and I will get pictures as this progresses :)

I am selling my current puremotorsport top mounts and strut brace if anyone is looking to buy a set then mine has only done 3 hours track time since I replace the bearings.

Thanks for reading

James

Clio
Sorry to hear about the budget woes, but seat time is better than any mod you can make! I'm sure another season of racing will improve your lap times more significantly than a trick engine anyway!

I really enjoy doing the wiring for some reason lol.

At least this way you'll know it backwards when you have issues ;)

Does that mean I have longer to decide on a diff then... must resist :evil:
Yes I am quite looking forward to a new challenge still need to work a few things out but hoping it will be okay :)

Issues..... My wiring loom will never have any issues ;) lol In all seriousness though yes that really is a plus point.

Haha yes it's upto you I'm ordering one next week for a friend so if you want one then can either get an extra one then or when I order mine in January :)
Sorry to hear about the budget woes, but seat time is better than any mod you can make! I'm sure another season of racing will improve your lap times more significantly than a trick engine anyway!
Thanks, yes that's what my sensible head said but the perfectionist in me wanted to get the car perfect but as one of my good friends always tells me nothing is ever perfect so I made my mind up to get it back out on track

182cup & 172 racecar
At last, you have seen the light. Standard engine, itb's, cams, job done. We managed for a couple of yrs like it.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
I really enjoy doing the wiring for some reason lol.

At least this way you'll know it backwards when you have issues ;)

Does that mean I have longer to decide on a diff then... must resist :evil:

Best buying one as they rarely come up second hand..hang on theres one in the for sale section ;)
:)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That is just a final drive for sale for a diff but doesn’t include the diff

Not worth buying secondhand for that little difference to the new price IMHO, you can probably get a bit of a deal buying one with a diff and get it down to that price new anyway Im sure.

I'm actually pretty glad you've broken the OCD cycle

I had to do the same - constantly buying the very best camera gear, and trying to buy the absolute best I could for the car has meant this last year I've only done 1 track day. Utter lunacy and my mates slapped me about a bit.

Sold all my camera gear and bought a camera that was "good enough", settled for KW V2 coilovers rather than stretching for AST's - and now I have money in the bank for a track day at least every month next year AND a trip to monaco/swiss alps/ring/spa - so chuffed to bits

I find having a bit of OCD can really hurt your hobbies as you spend so much time trying to do everything perfect you never get to enjoy it :(