ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

James have you sat down and worked out where all your new "FD" gear changes will be on various tracks? I sort of did in an amaterurish way, with help from a thread I started on PH, came to the conclusion that unless I could actually change all the ratio's (as per Kenny) the FD alone would give more pain that gain.....need 55-60 in first and around 20mph jumps to 130 - woods for the trees and all that......

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You want about an average of about 22% jump per gear really (although generally will have a little more lower down and then less in the higher gears), then you can have a 60mph first and 132mph fifth, but the cost of doing so is massive, far beyond James's current budget.

IMO getting to the top speed quicker is more beneficial as a whole on most UK circuits over limiting on a few straights 'potentially'

In reality in most club racing the over taking is done on corner exit and on the first 85% of a straight, it's not really the done thing to stick one down the inside last minute unless someone runs out of talent.

Are cammed and throttled clios getting to 135 down the back straight at Silverstone for example anyway?
Yes I agree but the only thing I am unsure of is the fifth gear now that I am set on the FD for the car, Changing fifth will give me 129MPH and my top speed this year has been 130 or a little more than this at Spa where I was well into fifth. I think for the slight compromise of the standard fifth it will give me more flexibility. If I fit the modified fifth into last years car then I would bounce of the limiter very slightly but with the diff, engine and suspension tweaks I would like to hope my cornering speeds would be a little higher along with faster at the end of a straight this year. If this is the case then I would be bouncing off the limiter further down the straight.
James have you sat down and worked out where all your new "FD" gear changes will be on various tracks? I sort of did in an amaterurish way, with help from a thread I started on PH, came to the conclusion that unless I could actually change all the ratio's (as per Kenny) the FD alone would give more pain that gain.....need 55-60 in first and around 20mph jumps to 130 - woods for the trees and all that......
Yes mate but only the ones I have got data from, in theory it should be the best option that I have available to me. As everyone says 1st is the downside and also 5th is a slight compromise as I will need to be in 5th for some corners. I know what you mean Pete :)
You want about an average of about 22% jump per gear really (although generally will have a little more lower down and then less in the higher gears), then you can have a 60mph first and 132mph fifth, but the cost of doing so is massive, far beyond James's current budget.
Unfortunately so :(

Just found a better 5th though! Only slightly better than the std but will drop top speed to 141mph

Cup In bits

Did you find there was a "okay" setup for Clio friendly track's like Brands and Oulton and a comprise for the likes of Silverstone where its more a power circuit where clio's don't compete for wins so much? If so what was the FD ratio?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
39/32 would certainly be better than the standard and have no downside at all as still higher speed than any you are likely to hit on track.

3% more torque in fifth with no penalty sounds win/win to me.

Are they readily available new like the 37/33 is?

39/32 would certainly be better than the standard and have no downside at all as still higher speed than any you are likely to hit on track.

3% more torque in fifth with no penalty sounds win/win to me.

Are they readily available new like the 37/33 is?
Yeah that was my thoughts, not sure I will ask Martin!

Cup In bits
Are you swapping the FD and fifth on your gripper? It's the 4.29 at the moment isn't it?

I plan to use what I have, I was told it was a 14/60 4.29, 10% reduction I believe?

I just looked and and its a jc5 130 non speedo drive so I'm presuming its a 182 box with slightly longer ratios than the 172 cup, is that right? 172 cup is the best of all ratios in the 1*2 range?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I plan to use what I have, I was told it was a 14/60 4.29, 10% reduction I believe?

I just looked and and its a jc5 130 non speedo drive so I'm presuming its a 182 box with slightly longer ratios than the 172 cup, is that right? 172 cup is the best of all ratios in the 1*2 range?

What code are the 172 cup boxes? I was under the impression they were just ph2 boxes but with a speedo drive, I wasnt aware the actual gear ratios themselves were different?

Cup In bits
I don't have my cup g/box to hand to check, afaik they are a 132 from what I have read? Different ratio between phase 1, 2 and cup is what I have heard :S ?!?

edit: just read ash's above post for 089.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I don't have my cup g/box to hand to check, afaik they are a 132 from what I have read? Different ratio between phase 1, 2 and cup is what I have heard :S ?!?

edit: just read ash's above post for 089.

The actual main shafts with the 4 cogs on (which cant be removed as they are part of it) are the same between all 172 boxes as far as I am aware.

132 is WIDER ratios than standard 172 (ie 089, 130) ones, as 3rd is the same but 1st is lower geared, wouldnt be an upgrade at all IMHO, in fact quite the opposite.

Cup In bits
That 132 figure was purely off the top of my head as I'm unsure if that is cup, just remembered hearing that. When I said "closer ratio's " I meant different final drives, the wrong choice of words from me really as it doesn't close up the ratios like Kennys box would by actually changing driven/driver numbers of the gears, it just reduces the top speed while bringing maximum gear speeds down via the change in FD = faster acceleration?? Right Chip, Ash?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes a larger number final driver lowers top speed. Cup fd is same as all other ph2 as far as I'm aware. Ph1 is lower number, hence higher top speed per Krpm.

Cup In bits
All I'm worried about this year is the two wheels lock together lol, later on I will evaluate the need to change ratios as I drive mine more.

Can you give a % difference with my 4.29 final drive against the 130 box please chip. Your good with numbers n s**t!

Edit: PM me if you want to save Ash's thread.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Teeth inTeeth outGear RatioChange ratioOverall GearingMPH @ 7500MPH @ 8000
CrownPinionDiff ratio

All I'm worried about this year is the two wheels lock together lol, later on I will evaluate the need to change ratios as I drive mine more.

Can you give a % difference with my 4.29 final drive against the 130 box please chip. Your good with numbers n s**t!

Edit: PM me if you want to save Ash's thread.

5.67%

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Standard Ph2 diff here:

James, going back to our discussion the other night on the phone, I knocked up a quick spreadsheet for you, and if you get a JC5-106 fifth gear into your car, then based on 205/50/15 tyres you should see the following:

Teeth inTeeth outGear RatioChange ratioOverall GearingMPH @ 7500MPH @ 8000
1st11340.3240.08040.643.3
2nd22410.5371.6590.13267.371.8
3rd28370.7571.4100.18694.9101.2
4th34350.9711.2840.239121.8129.9
5th37331.1211.1540.276140.6150.0
CrownPinion
diff61154.067

Have listed speed at 7500rpm as the point you would typically change up, and speed at 8Krpm as a max achievable in gear.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So to confirm I have the 37/33 5th gear fitted in my 130 but I could fit the jc5 106 5th to lower top speed( what car is this from)

The 37/33 is what is in the 106 for 5th, so I dont understand the question you are asking?
Sounds like you are saying if you swap from 37/33 to another 37/33 will it lower your top speed?

182cup & 172 racecar
It all seems to be getting a little over teccy in here atm.

James, are you racing at Spa, if not, why are you bothering about hitting the limiter in 5th and compromising all the other circuits?

Can't see the point myself, but if you come whizzing past, then I may have to look into it further, but until then I'll keep it simple.

Cup In bits
The 37/33 is what is in the 106 for 5th, so I dont understand the question you are asking?
Sounds like you are saying if you swap from 37/33 to another 37/33 will it lower your top speed?

LMAO, basically...what 5th gear is in a 130 box standard and what is the jc5 106 fitted to?

So to confirm I have the 37/33 5th gear fitted in my 130 but I could fit the jc5 106 5th to lower top speed( what car is this from)
I'm sure Mark told me he fitted the shorter 5th and in that case you have the 37/33. That is the shortest you can go, the other option is to swap the FD which gripper can provide in the new ratio's they are doing.
It all seems to be getting a little over teccy in here atm.

James, are you racing at Spa, if not, why are you bothering about hitting the limiter in 5th and compromising all the other circuits?

Can't see the point myself, but if you come whizzing past, then I may have to look into it further, but until then I'll keep it simple.
Yeah it's all just trying to calculate weather or not to fit the shorter fifth or not. The three top speeds could be 129, 141 or 146.

Not 100% racing at Spa no, I didn't really see it as a compromise on the other circuits by having the longer 5th as it's still lower than the standard FD but still gives me the flexibility.

I know exactly what you mean Tony but while I'm doing it just want to make sure I do it right :) Lol!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
LMAO, basically...what 5th gear is in a 130 box standard and what is the jc5 106 fitted to?

The 106 is a megane box IIRC, but dont worry about trying to track one down, just buy the 5th gear from agency brand new they arent dear (65 quid IIRC).