ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bought a 172 Cup yesterday

172 Cup
As title, bought a 172 Cup yesterday..

Couldn't get it insured right away because my insurer's call center was closed.
Barely slept.
Got it insured first thing this morning as soon as the call center opened, just in time to drive it a whole 2 miles into work.
Couldn't concentrate all day.
At 4 I started fixing it. High level brake light confirmed for "bulb" blown but 12V coming through to connector.
Silly iPod cable removed and CD player back in action.
Left work at 5:15
Eat. Order brake light.
Drove for 3 hours+, getting lost several times.
Saw another 1X2.

Cheshire cat mode engage.

Oh I should mention mods.
Noisy "induction kit".
Stainless exhaust.
Front strut brace (previous owner reckons it gives a little understeer but we shall see as I get used to it)
Eibach 15mm lowering springs.

172 Cup
I finally got my replacement high level light this afternoon so I wiggled the old one out the spoiler using my work security pass which is now a bit worn round the edges, unplugged it and plugged the new one in, it worked, fantastic.
Or so I thought.
Shoved it back into the spoiler and it no longer worked. Seems the O/S one also stopped working sometime between Monday and now. Ace.
So I took the high level one back out and it turns out wiggling the wire makes it flicker on off.
Try doing this on your own, pushing the pedal while wiggling the brake light. I'm not particularly tall.
Two hours of wiggling and pulling out grommets, realising the wire was in perfect condition, I suspected it may be the round black connector that lives under the spoiler (not the one into the back of the light). Stuffed some thin solder into there to pad the pins out. It's the connector on the side that goes into the body, not on the short piece of wire from the back of the light. Does anyone know if I can even buy a new connector?
Well it appears to be "fixed" for now, I think.
Is the OS brake light somehow powered via the high level one? Because that wiring fault would explain why that wasn't working. I bought a "universal" bulb set from Tescos (the third one I tried) but it didn't have one with two filaments like the one I would have replaced. But anyway both filaments appear to be intact and when I went to replace it the tail light part of it at least was working. After I eat I'm going to look for something shiny to back up to.
Also CD player makes lots of clicking noises when it first starts and sometimes drops out.

Still love it to bits.
I guess that's what Va Va Voom means?
Marilyn Monroe said:
If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.