ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bristol Motor Club are proposing to run the Bristol Clio Cup, exclusively for normally aspirated Renault Clios. In 2017, it is proposed that the cars will compete in two sprints at Castle Combe Circuit, one at Llandow Circuit (near Cardiff) and two AutoSolos in Chepstow. All the events are against the clock, so the risk is low, rather than rubbing door handles like you see on ITV4. Completely standard road cars can be used (full interior, inertia reel belts, no rollcage, etc.), although modifications are allowed. It's an ideal way to step up to proper competition from track days or even to get your first track experience.

The series will run in the same format as the Vincenzo & Son Bristol MX5 Challenge, but only if there's enough people wanting to have a go. If you want to compete in your Clio, please fill out this form. There's no obligation from filling out the form, but it helps us see if there's enough demand before we launch the series. See you on track in 2017!

Clio 172 Merc ML55
i'd be interested but mine is virtually race prepped now, (and the form states road going with full interiors) ie no interior, fully caged, cut offs etc etc. Would this be too 'modified' ? sprints/autosolos are new to me

Safety gear like cages and cut offs are encouraged, but to run in the road going category, you need tax and MOT and the full interior (except carpets and seats can be changed). The reason being that road going is intended for cars you can use daily and lots of usability goes out the window when the car is stripped.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Thats understandable, it is still road legal (just) but virtually everything else has been binned. Are you only looking at a road going series?

Thanks Ads

The way the sport is regulated means you would need to fit seats, belts, harnesses and a roll cage to the car as well as running a Hans device if you strip the interior. At this point, you're getting serious and we are really after new competitors. The last thing we want is for people to have to shell out £3000 preparing a car and buying safety gear just to get on the grid. That would buy a car, prepare it, buy all your safety gear and run your first season with what we are proposing.

I realise this decision means it rules some people out immediately, but it lowers the bar of entry for everyone. It's cheap, accessible and fun.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I couldn't agree more and it's great that you are bringing through a more cost effective start to motorsport. I've got a very good mate who's just starting out and it'll be ideal for him even if I can't compete myself

Motorsport this cheap has always been available. You can still compete at the events, just not in the championship. The events cater for anything with an MOT, provided it meets the safety regulations aligned with its state of tune. For a stripped interior, that puts it into Modified Production. You will need a cage, harnesses and a Hans device, but on the flip side, you'll be allowed to run on slicks.

Awesome! Please fill out the form linked in the first post and I'll keep you up to date with what we are doing. We have lots of interest already and it's only about 45 hours since it was announced.

182cup & 172 racecar
Awesome! Please fill out the form linked in the first post and I'll keep you up to date with what we are doing. We have lots of interest already and it's only about 45 hours since it was announced.
Just e prepared for about a 40% drop out, people will say they will do things, then never do.

Sounds a good idea though. Good luck.:)

We'd be happy with just a 40% drop out. We're working on 1 in 4 to turn up, which is what happened with the Vincenzo and Son Bristol MX5 Challenge. As a club, we've been running events and championships like this for over 100 years, so we know the score.

Megane 175 & BG182
Id love to do this, where do I stand with my spec: Stripped car but with buckets and harnesses, no cage, full standard dash.

You'll need to put interior back in, but the seats/harnesses are fine and you don't need the carpet. It's been known for people to cable tie the interior in the boot when putting it back in!

Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do here. Whilst there are categories for stripped out cars, they require full cages. We may allow cars to strip the interior if running a full cage if there is enough demand.