ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Building a Clio Sport Replica. Opinions?

After watching a few people i know build some rather nice 172 replicas, im seriously considering doing so myself.

The two key things to consider is time and money.

The time for me isnt a problem as i have all the time in the world.

Its the money.

Front bumper 110 pound
Rear bumper 90 pound
Side skirts 100 pouns
both front wings 80 pounds
front grill 45 pounds
2.0l badges 20 pound
lowering springs 50 pound
wheels and tyres 300pound

plus a few other things and thats forgeting spraying the parts.

Then theres buying a clio insuring the clio... is it worth even buying a car?

opinions welcome

Mercedes C Class Sport
i thought you were doing this ages ago?
Remember spraying on top of this. Yes a clio is worth buying

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If i were you (insurance is obviously the factor as to why you can't afford a 2.0?) I'd buy a rep that someone has already spent their hard earned on.

IIRC, there is a 172 replica in the for sale section for about 4k which has probably had well over 12k spent on it (including the car obviously)

Mercedes C Class Sport
If i were you (insurance is obviously the factor as to why you can't afford a 2.0?) I'd buy a rep that someone has already spent their hard earned on.

IIRC, there is a 172 replica in the for sale section for about 4k which has probably had well over 12k spent on it (including the car obviously)
Which ones that? the inferno rep?

I agree with that, or maybe even not bothering and just saving up for a sport?

Not a Clio, but i spent a fortune building a MK5 GOLF GTI replica, only to find myself gettin bored of it after 6 months because at the end of the day, unless u mod the engine, it still feels too slow.

So, i ended up spening best part of 5k on my Golf, only to get rid after 6 months for a R27, when i could have saved a lot of time and effort and money!

^
Not as gay has having 2.0 badges on a replica. Especially if it still has the 1.2 engine in it.

All of your local chavs will be going on about how they scalped a 172 in their chav car.

Does that really bother you though?

Don't bother me. Because when the chavs come up against me they will lose. Thats all that matters to me

RS 172
Sport reps are quite cool, but I wouldnt do it. I just cant see it being worth the investment. Best off buying a Sport when you can.

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
If your going to do a replica & leave the 1.2 engine in, don't put the 2.0 side badges on it.

1.2 badges are the way ;)

100_0276.jpg

Turbo LY R27
Yeah but it will have that rubbish sunroof and i think the wheels dont look right on replicas. If your gonna put 2.0 badges on at least put the word 'wannabe' underneath!:rolleyes:

or....

By a nova, sign up to vauxhall, put some 19s on it colour coded body kit, 5 subwoofers in the boot, and for the exhaust 2 massive mellon shooters, and toppoed off with a k&n induction (for performance reasons)

Best advice, deck it, wheels, not to loud exhaust (gotta keep that bad boy engine at bay) and leave it till you can afford the real thing, you will only be dissapointed and skint!:S

Mercedes C Class Sport
Yeah but it will have that rubbish sunroof and i think the wheels dont look right on replicas. If your gonna put 2.0 badges on at least put the word 'wannabe' underneath!:rolleyes:

or....

By a nova, sign up to vauxhall, put some 19s on it colour coded body kit, 5 subwoofers in the boot, and for the exhaust 2 massive mellon shooters, and toppoed off with a k&n induction (for performance reasons)

Best advice, deck it, wheels, not to loud exhaust (gotta keep that bad boy engine at bay) and leave it till you can afford the real thing, you will only be dissapointed and skint!:S

Oh, so do these cars look s**t?

IMGP0374.jpg

IMGP0415.jpg

All replicas, pretty good ones too.
What people like you dont realise is that its also a project for someone. Sourcing all the parts, deciding on different styling on the car, getting wheels, then putting it all together is a very good project and very good fun. I know my mates enjoyed their time building their replicas.

ph1 172
Personal opinion here - i dont get why ppl put visual mods on their cars to make them look like sports. when in actual fact the added weight, is gunna make ur slow car go even slower. i dont get why ppl spend a hell of a lot of money tryin to make their cars "look" good when in actual fact, they just look stupid.
use ur money to get performance mods or even to buy a faster car, if its fast ur after.

Mercedes C Class Sport
its not all about speed though, would you have a robin reliant if it was quicker than a 182? Its about the look of a car too...as you mentioned

Meg on pistonheads £6995
horses for courses

depends what YOU want

- have the cash, want the looks now, but not bothered by performance? do it!

- desperate for the performance as well? save and go for it in 2 years!

Evo 6, E92 320d
CRIM0011-1.gif

My sport rep, 1.6 RSi, so its still got a bit of go in it, cost me £2100 with all the kit on. Notice i have 16v badges on the doors as it is a 16v.

Meg on pistonheads £6995
p.s: it's surprising what silver door badges (£10 using originals), new wheels (£200 if you sell standard ones towards cost) and a 30mm drop (£150) can do for the looks.

I get loads of compliments about my car and it ain't no 172

Attachments

• Black Kro.jpg
    Black Kro.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 138
  Clio's
Personal opinion here - i dont get why ppl put visual mods on their cars to make them look like sports. when in actual fact the added weight, is gunna make ur slow car go even slower. i dont get why ppl spend a hell of a lot of money tryin to make their cars "look" good when in actual fact, they just look stupid.
use ur money to get performance mods or even to buy a faster car, if its fast ur after.

They look stupid? so what your saying is that your car looks stupid! and I think mos people buy cars on thier looks!!

ph1 172

or....

Oh, so do these cars look s**t?

IMGP0374.jpg

IMGP0415.jpg

All replicas, pretty good ones too.
What people like you dont realise is that its also a project for someone. Sourcing all the parts, deciding on different styling on the car, getting wheels, then putting it all together is a very good project and very good fun. I know my mates enjoyed their time building their replicas.

sorry to say it but those wheels on the white 172 arent the right ones :) they r the wheels from the phase2 172

Clio's
Correct they are! and if you really knew what you were talking about yuo'd also know that the bumpstrips on the ornage one arent the "correct" ones as they are from a 197 and so are the indicators! Anyway chris who is the owner of the white one has 16" OZ F1's on now!

Mercedes C Class Sport
The wheels on the inferno arent the correct ones either....they are still wheels off One of the renaultsport range. They are among the best replicas ive seen. Joshydees replica was one of the best, along with combines and dutty_112s.