ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Burpspeed - From The beginning

172 Race Car
Re: My Ph1 172 track sl*g Progress Thread

Looking good fella, cant wait till the RRd to see how much it has changed since its last outing to a RRd.

can only compare it to yours really as were gonna be on a different dyno. as long as yours hasnt changed

Mine has in itg now, might have a new exhaust by then as well, depends how much longer the oem one lasts.

Qashcow

good point, im going back to bedford tomorrow so will be trying to push mine a little harder again. bloody love trackdays now, just got to get good at them!!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

Just read the thread from start >> finish! Nice work mate :cool: , bet the thing flies compared to a standard 172, lol at the height drop prob with the h&r's just imagine what it would look like on standard springs with that much weight :dead:

Need abit of advie on the battery re-location, plan to do this to my PH2 172 but have read its not just a case of using a decent wire & fuse to the positive.. from what i've read i need to use 0 guage cable along with some sort of fuse/junction box but looking at yours it seems fairly simple & straight forward, any tips on how to go about doing it would be ace :)

Keep up the good work!

172 Race Car

Just read the thread from start >> finish! Nice work mate :cool: , bet the thing flies compared to a standard 172, lol at the height drop prob with the h&r's just imagine what it would look like on standard springs with that much weight :dead:

Need abit of advie on the battery re-location, plan to do this to my PH2 172 but have read its not just a case of using a decent wire & fuse to the positive.. from what i've read i need to use 0 guage cable along with some sort of fuse/junction box but looking at yours it seems fairly simple & straight forward, any tips on how to go about doing it would be ace :)

Keep up the good work!
will pm you

182cup & 172 racecar

Jay,we must get a block of dry ice to suck in some really cold air

182cup & 172 racecar

We have just bought a new one so yes,but I'm not strapping myself to the front of the car

M

mini-valver

Looking good fella!

Little bit of advice.... I cut the airbag loom out, removed all the airbags etc but the light is still on. Any ideas? Apart from removing bulbs which is the last option....

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

Looking good fella!

Little bit of advice.... I cut the airbag loom out, removed all the airbags etc but the light is still on. Any ideas? Apart from removing bulbs which is the last option....

lol...my way would of worked perfect.

jay - you've been paid, you got the positive battery terminal plastic cover by anychance? if so and you don't need it could you chuck that in too?

FF Blackgold 182

Looking sweet Jay. Just watched the video. Curborough looks quite tight and twisty. Mostly second gear was it?

172 Race Car

Yea mate all second gear, grab third for a few seconds on the straight

172 Silver Cup

Love this post so much, best one I have ever read! Burp I am getting my 172 on the weekend. Cant wait. I dont have much experience when it comes to cars but I am pretty good at giving things a go. What bits would u recommend taking out (heaviest). Nothing to technical to start with so easy heavy bits. can u list in order of what u think it best stripped out! Cheers

Ph1 172 + Combo van

Love this post so much, best one I have ever read! Burp I am getting my 172 on the weekend. Cant wait. I dont have much experience when it comes to cars but I am pretty good at giving things a go. What bits would u recommend taking out (heaviest). Nothing to technical to start with so easy heavy bits. can u list in order of what u think it best stripped out! Cheers
back seats, carpet, trim around the sides of the boot, rear door cards, then id reccommend dewipering and removing all of the tar/ sound deadening stuff. depends how far you are going to go really stuff like aircon, radio/speakers and powersteering maybe?

172 Race Car

anything u dont need/want.......thats was how i did it

FF Blackgold 182

anything u dont need/want.......thats was how i did it

I can vouch for that! :cool:

Golf GT TDI, IS220d

Good to see that filters going to good use mate, great project

172 Race Car

Finished off the induction setup. Fitted a pipe off the idle speed valve, long enough to tuck it out of the way and away from heat, into a small filter so it doesnt breathe from the main induction pipe.

IMAGE_022.jpg

IMAGE_031.jpg

Its been about 6 weeks since i last drove the car (holiday, family and work comitments) and ive not even strted it since fitting the induction set up. so today i took it out for a run into town.

The induction noise is amazing!

172 Race Car

Im booked in to do the Renaultsport track day at oulton park on the 20th of August.

Tony will be 'Guest' driver again.

Really looking forward to it.

172 Race Car

As Tony confirmed at Curbourgh the car has a tendancy to understeer, going on my past experiance of setting up model race cars and a chat with DanR one evening recently the conclusion was reached that the rear needed to be stiffer.

I popped into 'Powerstation' in Tewkesbury earlier in the week and had a word with Curtis, their suspension guru.

The guy really knows his onions! :hail:

He confirmed what we thought and sugested testing a rear spring to see what we already had and go from there.

So today I went along to my mates place, did a few measurements (that Curtis would need to calculate clever suspension stuff) and whipped out a spring.

Curtis then tested it

IMAGE_023.jpg

The H&R's use a progressive spring and this made measuring it difficult.

Then he had to find me some stiffer springs that were the right size as im already at the lowest setting on rear ride height and a stiffer spring could raise it. found some 120mm springs that looked good. They are twice the stiffness of the normal h&r rear springs!!

left = new............................. right = 'stock' h&r spring

IMAGE_025.jpg

Trusting his judgemnt that i wouldnt end up backwards into a tree in the first corner, I went back to the car and my mate poped them in. (I didnt want to get dirty today;))

IMAGE_024.jpg

re-set the ride height

IMAGE_026.jpg

and took it for a jaunt.

The difference was VERY noticable, even at a slow pace the car turns much better. It felt like a different car tbh.
Giving it a bit of stick into a bend (at my mates farm driveway) the car tucks in better. With a little lift off oversteer if u go in too hot.

Exactly what i wanted! The only problem was................

jacking the car up and this happened........

IMAGE_028.jpg

The 120mm springs were just way too short, so got some 140mm ones from Curtis and swapped them over.

IMAGE_027.jpg

IMAGE_029.jpg

PERFECT!

IMAGE_030.jpg

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172

As Tony confirmed at Curbourgh the car has a tendancy to understeer, going on my past experiance of setting up model race cars and a chat with DanR one evening recently the conclusion was reached that the rear needed to be stiffer.

I suffered from understeer, which has now been cured nicely by serious negative camber up front... My car is higher at the back than the front, so 'tail-happyness' can be induced under hard braking into bends etc...

Just like you Mr Burp, I find my ph1 sooooo much fun!!

See you at Oulton on the 20th!! :race:

172 Race Car

I suffered from understeer, which has now been cured nicely by serious negative camber up front... My car is higher at the back than the front, so 'tail-happyness' can be induced under hard braking into bends etc...

Just like you Mr Burp, I find my ph1 sooooo much fun!!

See you at Oulton on the 20th!! :race:
I will probably be going for more front camber at a later date, its on -1.5 atm. It wont be untill i replace the top mounts with some better ones so i can get it all set up again.

See u at Oulton, be nice to have some more ph1's there. When I went with bomber to Bedford recently it was almost like a white 197 cup exclusive track day

Qashcow

sexual springs mate, glad its made the difference that you've been after. now we can both get arse happy on wet corners again lol (no sick comments please :p)

cant wait for Oulton park now either, getting a few bits on mine measured today for the brake cooling ;)

172 Race Car

140 newtons apparetly. He did tell me what that was in lbs but ive forgot

182cup & 172 racecar

Thats good news Jay,abit of sharpness on turn in will be perfect.Good job you found out the spring fell out before taking it out on track,could have been intresting.
Good work..

172 Race Car

You can get the back end round now if provoked, you should notice a big difference

will wait on your verdict tho, oh great one!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

i was hoping to ask about how everyone finds the back end since its been stripped.

was chatting with my mechanic and sprayer friends and they reckon it will be sooner rather than later that i call them needing to be towed out of a bush as its so light in the rear now with no seats / spare etc etc

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182

i was hoping to ask about how everyone finds the back end since its been stripped.

was chatting with my mechanic and sprayer friends and they reckon it will be sooner rather than later that i call them needing to be towed out of a bush as its so light in the rear now with no seats / spare etc etc

put the battery in the boot? helps so much :)
mine and bazz's 172 track car is stupidly light and takes some getting used to after driving our 172/182's. It can be quite sketchy but you adapt to it

/carl

172 Race Car

Really dont know why but mine was the opposite. No way was the back end coming round, ask Tony. Better now with the spring change

Neil, if its a little wayward on the rear, lower the preasure's