ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car's back in at renault tomorrow..

for 2days

new steering wheel to be fitted
third attempt at fixing common alarm fault
second attempt at fixing knocking noise
gonna tell them about the tapping on idle too.

the knocking noise, last time they said everything was tight and they couldnt find anything wrong..

it happens whenever i let off the throttle or sometimes now if im a bit aggressive after a gearchange. sounds to be coming from the left of the engine bay (infront of driver). i thought it would be engine mount but they say theyre fine?

it used to only happen if travveling at say 5-15mph then letting off the throttle.
now it seems to be happening at 30+ too.

also if i was going down a hill (it bends too) in second gear and let off it would like knock-kn-kno-knock

Lionel Richie
i bet you snapped the bolt on the gear box mount, yoz has snapped about 4 of them!!!

its on the ali part below the battery (can be hard to see)

Dirty E91
GuyS said:
for 2days

new steering wheel to be fitted
third attempt at fixing common alarm fault
second attempt at fixing knocking noise
gonna tell them about the tapping on idle too.

the knocking noise, last time they said everything was tight and they couldnt find anything wrong..

it happens whenever i let off the throttle or sometimes now if im a bit aggressive after a gearchange. sounds to be coming from the left of the engine bay (infront of driver). i thought it would be engine mount but they say theyre fine?

it used to only happen if travveling at say 5-15mph then letting off the throttle.
now it seems to be happening at 30+ too.

also if i was going down a hill (it bends too) in second gear and let off it would like knock-kn-kno-knock

Certainly sounds like the engine mount prob, did you take a technician out with you to show him the prob?

martynh said:
Certainly sounds like the engine mount prob, did you take a technician out with you to show him the prob?

yes, but it was a saturday near closing time so i think he just wanted to 'brush it off'

he said ''theres definately a knocking noise there, but he cant fix it if he cant pysically see whats broken''. he said they checked everythign was tight, check mounts were ok and everything was fine apparantly.

said to come back in january and have to hope the problem has 'progressed' so he can diagnose it..

what a load of ballfucks.. thats just letting the problem carry on and possibly put strain on other areas!

fred - the noise sounds asif its coming from the drivers side of engine bay though.

the technician said it sound slike something is loose and moving about.

well duh. lol

well what a suprise.. its an engine mount like i told them in the first place.

mount will be here first thing tomorrow

also got them to bleed my brake system with silkolene pro race 2000 fluid.

182cup/D40/Hornet
What about the tapping noise at idle coz mine does that,has done it since new but some days it I think it sounds louder than others perhaps I'm being paranoid!

Der Panzer
bartebk said:
What about the tapping noise at idle coz mine does that,has done it since new but some days it I think it sounds louder than others perhaps I'm being paranoid!

Same here. Only have 3300 on the clock. Somedays I can't hear a thing, others it's quite apparent.

182cup/D40/Hornet
^^Yeah I know what you mean,got just over 7 on mine,changed the oil/filter at 6 for total exce. fully synth.still doing it,not that I changed the oil for that reason but I thought a better oil would have helped

Knocking noise could be the exhaust hitting the subframe.

Common issue I think most will agree.

I had a similar issue and had all the mounts checked out by Mike @ Rentech.

vx220
I was going to nip into renault tonight to see if someone could tell me about the very same noise! They have another 182 on the used car pitch so i was going to ask if i could listen to that one at idle to see if they all make that noise! Im starting to think it could be some texaco fuel i put in the other week after i couldnt find a shell anywhere!
Its defo a tapping noise from the engine though day!

fat 182
mja182 said:
I was going to nip into renault tonight to see if someone could tell me about the very same noise! They have another 182 on the used car pitch so i was going to ask if i could listen to that one at idle to see if they all make that noise! Im starting to think it could be some texaco fuel i put in the other week after i couldnt find a shell anywhere!

is your engine cover on tight the front screws came loose on mine and i could ihe it rattle at idle

vx220
the noise has only just come on the last couple of days on mine! done 8000 miles and it can only be heard properly from inside the car! it comes and goes and its only once the car is warm at idle! Thought there was a taxi behind me tonight at the lights but i realised it was me!

mja182 said:
I'm no car doctor but like fudgey says they all sound tap tap tapity.
Oil change needed?

It's a Renault so it could be anything to be fair!

vx220
it had the oil and filter changed at 6500 miles! Elf exil. Its not a noise the car has made before and i know the engines are noisey anyway! But its defo only come on as of late! sort of like a diesel engine noise

Your 182 has a warranty...

Use it ;)

Get everything replaced now before you get F**ked over after 3 years...

vx220
I will dont worry! Thing is can the monkeys at renault find and fix it though?
My mate who is used car sales manager is back tomorrow so im gonna go have a listen at the used 182 he has on the pitch and have a listen to that aswell!

BMW M3
Tappety Noise??? I get that too and have ask many times on here but dont think anyone has a cure or a reason.

Done it since new and now on 20k and only happens when warm. Sit stationary for 45 secs and it starts tapping quietly and gets a bit louder. Can only hear it properly inside the car and near the front drivers wheelarch. Increase the revs and the tapping increases until about 2500 rpm and then goes away. Car performs 100% though, had up to date services ( + personal care £££ lol) and only ever use optimax so a bit baffled!!

Took it to renault and naturally they couldnt hear a tapping noise even though i explained all factors involved to get it.... I give up !!!!

dazraffan said:
is your engine cover on tight the front screws came loose on mine and i could ihe it rattle at idle

funny you should mention that.. ive only noticed it tapping since ive had the cover off to mess with the brake fluid...

will check and refit it, see if that helps.

182 Spiced

tapping is getting louder now! I've done 23 K, thinking is it worth me taking it in before my next service? Or should I get it all done during the service and hope they DO try and FIX it - not fob me off and say it's normal.

When I sell this car and someone take it for a drive, loves it and then sits inside and hears this TAPPING. It's all over! Would you buy a car that made a tapping noise?

182 Spiced

going to print this off and take it with me before I get my service done next week.

They can't say it's nothing then.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
check the fuel rail cover they can come loose.. only abit........but ui cant half hear it

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
my 172 reminds me of my 1.2 sometimes the way it taps to be fair my 172 taps but i thought i was being parranoid mines got 16k its going to renualt tommaro to give it a good check.maybe the engine tappings need to be allighned i raed in the user book that they should be allighned or maybe its a renual;t thing/oh well

vx220
Not this damn tapping noise subject again lol!
Just turn the radio up or the climate fans up higher so it drowns it out!
Im imagining the noise according to renault!!! Just off to take another pill (damn tapping noise in my head)!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
if the tapping on idle dissapears onced revved to about 3-4k.... then comes back after a min or so its the caharcoal canistor solinoid... its to do with fuel vapours

172 cup and Saab 9-3
hey ho guys just got my car back after 4 days of "we cann't fix it" and guess what they've fixed it with modified mounts from renault!!! so keep with it and if they need a reference point tell them to contact James at Arnold Clark in stirling poor bloke loves me just keep telling them it wasn't always like that and they HAVE to fix it.

vx220
gt_gaz said:
if the tapping on idle dissapears onced revved to about 3-4k.... then comes back after a min or so its the caharcoal canistor solinoid... its to do with fuel vapours
and can it be resolved?

172 mk2...with clima
mja182 said:
and can it be resolved?

Yes, it can. Buy a Mercedes. :D

Loads of cars make noises like this; 172s and 182s are light cars for a reason; all that sound deadening that luxury cars have isn't there. They are rorty tappy little demons and we love 'em!

Seriously, don't worry about it. Try listening to an air-cooled motorbike engine; you'll swear its just about to go chernobyl. Then rev it to 10,000 rpm and be truly scared!

Justin182 said:
Tappety Noise??? I get that too and have ask many times on here but dont think anyone has a cure or a reason.

Done it since new and now on 20k and only happens when warm. Sit stationary for 45 secs and it starts tapping quietly and gets a bit louder. Can only hear it properly inside the car and near the front drivers wheelarch. Increase the revs and the tapping increases until about 2500 rpm and then goes away. Car performs 100% though, had up to date services ( + personal care £££ lol) and only ever use optimax so a bit baffled!!

Took it to renault and naturally they couldnt hear a tapping noise even though i explained all factors involved to get it.... I give up !!!!

any luck with yours??

mines still tapping.. been in 3 times and they still cant find anything....
they sent out some c**k of a ''technician'' to check it and he couldnt even hear it? it was doing my head in. what a c**t.

renault dealers really are s**t..

gt_gaz said:

told them that.. and pritned off that other lads 'fix' of how he got it insulated with rubber and rubber put between the cannister and the body, they said they had doen it when i picked it up

still did it, took it back in. then they said they cant performan any work on that as its not a common fault..

what the f**k :(

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
on my old punto gt, if you disconnected the vac pipe to it, it stopped, some guys just bunged them up, but i thought that might be too much lol and left mine connected
i'd imagine its just the solinoid getting noisy, it can hardly be heard outside the car, doesn't bother me