ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Choose me a subwoofer :)

Hello,

Accidently blew my sub today. Lethal Bizzle, the swine!!

Anyway, i need a fairly cheap yet niceee subwoofer. MUST BE 10" too

My amp ( JBL GTO7001) runs at:

• 700W RMS at 2 Ohms

or

• 425W RMS at 4 Ohms.

Thankyou :)

SDC11182.jpg

Mk2 172
New JL audio 10WO- £80 now, absolute bargain!!!
Ignore the power figures of the amplifier. It will most likely have been measured at 14.4 volts so is kind of irrelevant tbh. Dont worry about the wattage of the subwoofer either because it really is a pointless figure!!
Just because a wattage figure is higher it doesnt mean that it will play either louder or better etc etc.

Last edited:
  Mk2 172
:lolup::lolup:

Alpines obviously one of the best and most reputable.

Cant remember which model but its either the Type r or Type s which is very good.

Not as good as a JL sub tho ;) well sell both and the JL stuff is far superior!!
Even our alpine rep agrees and we built his alpine demo car lol

Polo + Micra
New JL audio 10WO- £80 now, absolute bargain!!!
Ignore the power figures of the amplifier. It will most likely have been measured at 14.4 volts so is kind of irrelevant tbh. Dont worry about the wattage of the subwoofer either because it really is a pointless figure!!
Just because a wattage figure is higher it doesnt mean that it will play either louder or better etc etc.

no that is true but you don't want to be putting best part of 400wRMS up a 150wRMS sub

Mk2 172
no that is true but you don't want to be putting best part of 400wRMS up a 150wRMS sub

why?? it wont do it any harm. Ive had a JL audio 750/1 HD amp running a JLW3 rated at 250 watts and absolutely no problem at all :) wattage is a very dangerous subject!!

Polo + Micra
well it is it's thermal handling power

if it's can't dissipate the heat it is going to cook the voice coil

so you have got the full 750wRMS going into it? if so thats some good going

Mk2 172
well it is it's thermal handling power

if it's can't dissipate the heat it is going to cook the voice coil

so you have got the full 750wRMS going into it? if so thats some good going

Yeah and its rated at 12v too and JL HD and Slash amps produde what they say they do at any impedance between 1 and 8 ohms. You cant really beat JL subwoofers. The technology in them is fantastic and so too is the way they sound

Polo + Micra
yeah but is the gain set so it gives it the full berries as 3x the power is asking alot tbh

yeah the Rips tech is a brilliant piece of engineering as my 1000/1 hasn't put a foot wrong running at nearly 1200wRMS :)

Mk2 172
yeah but is the gain set so it gives it the full berries as 3x the power is asking alot tbh

yeah the Rips tech is a brilliant piece of engineering as my 1000/1 hasn't put a foot wrong running at nearly 1200wRMS :)

The gain has nothing to do with the power the amp puts out. Its a level. It doesnt change the power of the amp aslong as it working within its operational range of impedances and supply voltages
The 1000/1 is a great amp. Produces a real 1000 watts of power all the time. (at that all important 12 VOLTS!!)
Unlike most amps out here. It wont do 1200 watts but 1000 real watts is more than adequate :)

Last edited:
  Mk2 172

It is a bit much for that sub but having lots of power is far better than having too little. Just have to listen to it with ur head screwed on.
Less likely to damage anything with plenty of power

Mk2 172
Surely you'd look at changing the settings for a new sub anyway. Especially seeing as you blew your last one up!

Edit wrong person!

I would put money on it blew up because of lack of power and the amp not bein of particularly good quality!

Polo + Micra
so your saying that if the gain is set to 8v and the hu is outputting 2v you will still get full power? as you won't sorry

well what does 48volts into 2 ohms give as the book with the amp says i should set it to 44volts to get the 1000w?

Polo + Micra
there is only 2 ways to break a sub and that is

way too much power or too much clipping

Polo + Micra
you can't have too little power though

it's an underpowered amp thats clipping it's tits off that kills most

Mk2 172
What's clipping and how can you detect it?

It happens when an amplifier is driven beyond its capabilty, put simply.
Thats why u should ignore most amplifier output claims that maufacturers give you because its likely to be bo**ox!!

Polo + Micra
clipping is where the output voltage tries to be be higher than the voltage rails inside the amp

so the sine wave has a flat bit at the peaks

the common way to measure it is with a cathode ray oscilloscope

Mk2 172
clipping is where the output voltage tries to be be higher than the voltage rails inside the amp

so the sine wave has a flat bit at the peaks

the common way to measure it is with a cathode ray oscilloscope

Or just look in the customers boot when he says it sounds crap or its not loud enough!! You find a mosfet purple amp in there and that come with free distortion out of the box!

vaux cavalier
Wow, decide to have an evening with the Mrs & I miss a little debate I could have entered....

A few facts that hopefully will dispel tripe already posted....

You read the box didn't you!!!

Most amplifier output claims are based on 14.4v, this is the normal charging voltage from an alternator....

The amp in question is CEA rated, so will do what it says on the box....
Good advice....Over powering a sub to that extent could cause over excursion as well as exceeding the coils thermal limits....

why?? it wont do it any harm. Ive had a JL audio 750/1 HD amp running a JLW3 rated at 250 watts and absolutely no problem at all :) wattage is a very dangerous subject!!
In your initial post you recommend ignoring wattage!!!!!
The gain has nothing to do with the power the amp puts out. Its a level. It doesnt change the power of the amp aslong as it working within its operational range of impedances and supply voltages
The 1000/1 is a great amp. Produces a real 1000 watts of power all the time. (at that all important 12 VOLTS!!)
Unlike most amps out here. It wont do 1200 watts but 1000 real watts is more than adequate :)
Interesting theory mate....Just like saying the volume control on the Head Unit doesn't affect how loud it is.....Oh, hang on....The volume control does affect how loud it is....

The gain control attenuates the signals input voltage to match the amp, which in turn permits the amps voltage rails to achieve full voltage at full volume....If it is set too low, full output will not be achieved, if it is set too high, full output will be achieved too soon causing 'clipping' & excessive heat build up....

Why are you so obsessed with 12v???
It is a bit much for that sub but having lots of power is far better than having too little. Just have to listen to it with ur head screwed on.
Less likely to damage anything with plenty of power
NEWS FLASH The only way to burn out a coil is with too much power....
Whether the excess power is delivered by a correctly set up high output amp or an incorrectly set up low output amp, the issue is the same, too much power creating excess heat....

A coil receiving a clipped input will be acting in a similar fashion to a heater element at the point of clip...Getting hotter & hotter till it deforms & comes into contact within the motor gap.....

I would put money on it blew up because of lack of power and the amp not bein of particularly good quality!
Could of made a few quid here....It blew because it was receiving too much power from a poorly set up amplifier which exceeded its thermal handling limits....

If it blew due to lack of power, then why don't they blow when being played at low volume?????

you can't have too little power though

it's an underpowered amp thats clipping it's tits off that kills most
Holy crap, I concur with Mr Dink....Must be coming down with something....Probably a touch of DC.....:rasp:;)

What's clipping and how can you detect it?
Amplifiers have 'gain' controls so the input signal voltage can be adjusted to permit the amp to achieve full output power, if the gain is set too low, then the amp won't achieve full output, if the gain is set too high, then the amp will reach full output too soon & signal 'clipping' will occur....

The RMS voltage of a 'clipped' signal is much higher than that of an 'unclipped' signal, so heat generated from a 'clipped' signal is much greater than that of an 'unclipped' signal.....Essentially, 'clipping' = BAD NEWS....

A 'clipped' signal can be heard as distortion, basically as the speaker cone reaches full excursion, (max power), it simply stops and sits at full power for the extended time spent at full voltage, (extended duration at the peak of the wave form), whilst the cone is stationary heat build up in the coils is greatly increased, (in basic terms, the coil acts in a similar fashion to a heater element)....

This would be easier to explain using a sketch.....You should at first realise that a speaker receives voltage through both the negative & positive terminals, positive voltage pushes the cone outward, negative voltage pulls the cone inward....an amplifier has two voltage rails, ones positive, ones negative....once the max output voltage of these rails is achieved, then clipping will occur, (no increase in volume can be had once an amp is clipping although RMS voltage will increase).....

SPEAKERTRACE.jpg

KEY;
Trace A & B = Amplifier running at full volume, (GAIN SET CORRECTLY)
Trace C & D = Amplifier running 'clipped', (GAIN SET TOO HIGH)...
Trace E & F = Amplifier running below full output, (GAIN SET TOO LOW)...

If you check the peaks of TRACES C & D you will see the time or duration spent at full voltage is much greater, (the wave form is squared off or 'clipped'), this is where the heat generated is at its greatest.....

It happens when an amplifier is driven beyond its capabilty, put simply.
Thats why u should ignore most amplifier output claims that maufacturers give you because its likely to be bo**ox!!

Not sure I even understand that statement????!!!!!
lol so you can't hear it then.

I'm guessing you wouldn't get this unless you put all the settings to max on an amp?

Clipping can actually be heard quite well if you use a 1KHz tone recorded at 0dB....Whilst playing this tone increase the volume level on your Head Unit and at the point of 'clip' the pitch will alter....If you then repeat this step whilst increasing an amplifiers gain control it will again alter in pitch as the amp 'clips', then simply back off the gain slightly for safe use....

When running this test with a sub you should use a 50Hz tone recorded at 0dB, although it is much more difficult to actually pick out the point of 'clip'....

Much better to set using a scope....

Mickb

ClioSport Club Member
  van low and 1.6 16v
lol owned.

tbh dont matter what 1 nick goes for if its any more than 60 notes he wont buy it

Polo + Micra
:lolup: i think you need to take some of those pills and have a lie down in a dark room to be agreeing with me

Fiesta RS Turbo & Pug 206
sdc10347r.jpg

JL are the best subs out there , ive had loads of different ones over the years , i paid only £100 with the box = HAppY DaYs

yes i know, the amp is s**t , and yes i will agree it is gutless

vaux cavalier
Without knowing your musical preference or preferred enclosure type & space available for enclosure, a valid recommendation for any particular sub is pretty much a guess....

As posted previously the JL sub will cover most bases....