ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chris' Petrol Blue Project

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
So got the bumper back yesterday from my mate. He took 6 attempts to get the colour right ! He also sanded down the carbon splitter and lacquered it for me, we spent 10 mins building it back up and then fitted it. Spent the rest of yesterday cleaning and polishing the car ready for some sealant today.

The match is pretty much bang on but not 100% These photos are not doing it any justice as they look darker on the bits hes painted but when taking the photos they looked a lot lighter. When walking round the car in the sun you cant tell the difference at all.

18390236623_fc76470ace_z.jpg

18388364184_9968d92500_z.jpg

For £40 im not complaining 😂

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
The match between the wing and side of the bumper looks spot on to me.

Hope so...... He didn't spray that bit :)

I should of elaborated a bit more. He only blended in the bits of the bumper that were damaged when i dropped it. So its the bit under the drivers headlight and the bottom of the bumper where i did my best Dukes Of Hazard jump. It would look massively different to the original colour if he had done the whole bumper.

Mini GP2
Love how the colour changes so much depending on the light, looking at the pics the match looks pretty consistent. My bumper needs a good tidying up, problem with Nimbus it looks a PITA to get the perfect colour match to the wing and doors etc...

Sigmamark

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW 530 Touring
I got the wheels powder coated by the chap in Bristol who charges £80 a set Paul. He couldn't do the caps as it would require a wet paint that he didn't do as part of the service.

Hi Christopher

Can you let me know who and where the chap in Bristol is, because I need some wheels sorting?

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Been a bit busy recently with finding a new job and sorting that out and have neglected the car quite a bit. Up until recently the list of bits to do to the car has been getting longer and longer. The plan was to sort the brakes and give the car a good service as its been 5k now since i had the cams installed. Well the brakes didn't happen and now im paying the price as one is binding quite badly and all could do with a re-fresh. I held off a service for quite a while and then the other day the car forced my hand. I had noticed a bit of smoke when taking it up to the top end of the rev range.....Not good i thought. Came to wash it a day after i noticed the smoke and found the whole rear of the car covered in tiny black marks. They looked like soot from the exhaust and when holding my hand near the pipe the 'soot' would cover it in a second.

19185922163_8416c0e017_z.jpg

Got the car booked it with Mike. Didn't drive the car for the best part of a week in fear it would go pop ! Thankfully Mike got it sorted with a couple of new O2 sensors and a good service :) Now i really need to sort the brakes and get some new tyres on ASAP. Sadly wont be making CSS now as some issues with work have come up.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Sounds like ups and Downs mate. Glad Mike got it running again.
Shame css is off for you. Give me a text or call if anything I can do. Hope work stuff sorts out OK for you.

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
So iv sorted the brakes...... Well painted them and re fitted the slider bolts. Just need to find the enthusiasm to fit them.

20454495602_5ace390c5e_z.jpg

Need to get down to the guys that were powdercoating the last bits of the metals for the engine bay as they have had them for the best part of 3 months !!!! Also at the end of the week il be ordering some new AD08'r for my fresh set of wheels.

Sadly the car is still smoking when using the higher part of the rev range :anguished: It still pulls really well mind and there has been no noticeable use of oil. Want to get the car checked over at RStuning soon to see if there happy with the map. And also the car had started to misfire under load like it was before the cams were installed so im looking at a new Coil pack, Ignition leads and Plugs. The cars getting expensive.........

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
So iv sorted the brakes...... Well painted them and re fitted the slider bolts. Just need to find the enthusiasm to fit them.

Need to get down to the guys that were powdercoating the last bits of the metals for the engine bay as they have had them for the best part of 3 months !!!! Also at the end of the week il be ordering some new AD08'r for my fresh set of wheels.

Sadly the car is still smoking when using the higher part of the rev range :anguished: It still pulls really well mind and there has been no noticeable use of oil. Want to get the car checked over at RStuning soon to see if there happy with the map. And also the car had started to misfire under load like it was before the cams were installed so im looking at a new Coil pack, Ignition leads and Plugs. The cars getting expensive.........

Good work Chris, those calipers look unrecognisable from when you collected them off me on Friday!

You might be better off getting someone local like JKM to check it first. It's a long drive to RS Tuning if the car isn't right for them to map when you get there as I know from experience.

Chris, if there's been an issue with the lambda's this will have put the adaptions out, which will cause the map to wander off where it was set. (Or if they were on they're way out when the map was done, they'll have had an impact then) the adaptions can take up to 500 miles to reset. I'm more than happy to take another look at it, if it's not right again I'll make the required changes foc of course.

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Come to think of it, the lambda could well have been starting to play up, which would explain why the afr's were so different when you had it at SRR and when it came back to me.

Your a good man Dan. Just need you to move closer :tongueout: Il see when im able to run the car down.

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Another great show from the guys at Origine RS this year. Car was washed and polished ready for the show on the Friday, never found the time to fit the brakes or the refurbed alloys 😧

20821939489_cb818c209f_z.jpg

She scrubbed up quite well considering this was covering the back.

20387669293_74d2d2d97f_z.jpg

So yes........ On to the unfortunate news.

The black soot was getting worse and it had started to drink oil at an alarming rate. The decision was taken to get the car off the road for the winter source and new engine and get it back stronger than ever. I will be taking my time with the build so everything will be just the way i want it. Am getting a list together of all the parts i want to turn the car round to a standard(ish) mint example of a PB. The bonnet will be going up to my mates to get rid of the stone chips, a dent man will be coming round at some point to pull the tiny ones out also. Will be sourcing new parts that are needed and will also be fitting the INR cams back in. The Engine came from jon-r all the way up in Durham. It had slowly been semi rebuilt over time with Jon just working on it when he had a spare 5 mins. Its already got fairly new parts fitted to it and came with other parts that have had less than 1k miles on them. Will be cherry picking all the new parts of my engine and fitting them as well as tidying up the bay. Once the new engine is at a decent point the old one will be lifted and inspected too see what has failed. As for what caused the damage we believe it was the lambada Sensor and O2. As you can see from a couple of posts up Dan has speculated on what was up with it. Dan has been very helpful and also patient as iv been deciding what to do, really is a decent guy with offering to take time out of his hectic scheduled to look at the car.

So in the mean time whilst the PB is stashed to one side of the drive i get too roll around in this 😊 It was my sisters old car before she took my dads much more reliable focus, it hasn't been the most loved car as you can see. Very little maintenance has ever been done to it, just enough to get it through MOT's. The exterior is shocking and the interior, though it scrubs up well, its in a bad way. Both bolsters on the drivers and passenger side have worn to nothing and bits are falling off all over the place. The perfect choice to take on a 700+ mile round trip to pick up an engine....... But it made it ! The plan is to sort some cheap seats out, replace the wing and try to get it in to enough of a decent shape too sell it on.

20387611423_ba8427976b_z.jpg

Iv had the last week off as im staring a new job come Tuesday :smile: I planned to get the engine and also at the very least get it on a stand ready to work on. I picked the new engine up on Thursday and yesterday after trying to get a stand off my mate a SGS Engineering one turned up in the post. Me and the old man got it out of the boot and on to the stand yesterday. The first job is to replace the rod bolts with some ARP ones to strengthen it up. Then will be painting the red block a nice standard silver. Where we go from there is anyone's guess. There is no time limit to get the PB back up and running so as said will be taking my time and getting it just so.

20982432146_02f2198dcd_z.jpg

Got the sump off today and gave that a quick clean, will be cracking on with the ARP's next weekend.

20820760448_85b2427591_z.jpg

21016224101_253a3eed46_z.jpg

Thanks for taking the time too read. Will be updating as and when so keep tuned.

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
With the weather being pony i got on with the ARP bolts today in the garage. Took my time and got them all changed over, had to hunt around for the correct size sockets though. For the original they were 7/16th and the ARP's are a 3/8th 12 point socket ! Got them all torqued to spec but will be checking them over again with my mate just too make sure.

Old v New
20846016989_d0683d948f_z.jpg

21022885412_4f041d31b6_z.jpg

Job Jobbed :)

20410158654_4801429ff7_z.jpg

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
The cars been off the road for over a month now and iv not once even looked at it. Started my new job last month and also had my mate wedding so this is the first weekend iv had some time to spend on it. Decided to get the big bits out of the engine bay so the entire right side has been removed. Next few weekends il tackle the auxiliaries and other bits, with a plan on removing the engine and box in the fist week in November. Once its out il tidy the bay up and get the gearbox off to be played with :smilingimp: Also iv started painting the block today, still needs finishing off.

21915835476_25993625a0_z.jpg

21754142358_f4a1d26de2_z.jpg

21754140528_99352b4ffb_z.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
That looks great mate. [emoji106]

The plastic pipe under the oil filter has a rubber O ring seal on it, while the engines out then I'd replace that seal bud.

There be nothing worse then getting it back in the car and it starts to leak.

I replaced it on the PH1, it was penny's from Renault. [emoji2]

Unless you know it's already been replaced?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Just read the entire thread, awesome car and will be so fresh once the engine and bay are sorted.

I bought a Petrol blue 182 on Friday. The paint is absolutely stunning and changes colour depending if its in the sun or its dark.

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Thought this deserved a little update. Been taking bits and pieces off ready for the engine to be lifted out. These pictures are from a few weeks ago so there is even less in the bay now. Just waiting for a free weekend when my mate can come by with an engine crane and we can lift it out.

22277914650_d3c4b4e05d_z.jpg

When taking the oil out you could see how badly it was contaminated with fuel. Not only did it smell you could see it separating on the tray!

22439876316_a946c98074_z.jpg

Since then Fletcher and Tim came over and we removed the gearbox oil, and had planned to take the drive shafts out but didn't have the correct toolage . Waiting on some bits to turn up to start putting the final touches to the other engine. Then its send the gearbox off :smilingimp: and get some other parts off to be powder coated and start to think about freshening up the bay itself.

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Parts Update :)

Been getting some of the small bits together now for the engine. Thanks to @Russ_16v for supplying the Clutch, Ignition parts and the new oil pump. Also finally collected after 5 months my ECU brackets i had powder coated ! Also got a 172 inlet to fit to the engine that will need powder coating...I just wont leave it for too long this time :)

And finally with a massive thanks to @NorthloopCup iv got my self a Quaiffe Differential :) No pictures of it sadly, im not sure il ever even see it tbh!!! I cant wait too see what a difference it makes :) Very excited.

22652102847_b401e2d6a8_z.jpg

22652068308_b8875a68c1_z.jpg

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
And so yes the engine is finally out :)

Started by taking the bonnet off for easy access, then the PAS pipes, loom then the mounts. Quite simple really when your best mate is a mechanic :) I was chief tool passer 😅 Came out with no drama's thankfully. Took the gearbox off ready to be sent for its new Diff :) Il start removing bits off the old engine as and when and migrate them over, then when the box is back it will all be thrown back in and trailer-ed down to Dan@SJM.

23312645621_84a12f5743_z.jpg

22768064603_a2d63970d1_z.jpg

22768063763_d4a289993e_z.jpg

Took out a spark plug to see the damage :frowning:

23369074966_c5072f0b71_z.jpg

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
The past couple of days iv been sorting out all the bits and pieces iv removed and sorted through all the bags of bolts and fixings ! Hope i can remember where they all go.

23428737155_21e41b115f_z.jpg

Also been removing all the bolts and brackets off this little lot, ready for powder coating.

22825148153_cf3e20127a_z.jpg

Will be ordering some new solid engine mounts and a full set of Powerflex bushes soon. As the engine is out it seems only right to sort all this stuff out now.

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Been a productive weekend on the car front :) Finally dropped the box off to Mark, was meant to be last weekend but i came of my bike in spectacular fashion and was crippled of the rest of the week. While i was there i picked up these beauties.

23352145679_9a2fe996fd_z.jpg

They aren't painted and are just the standard alloy finish. Thinking about keeping them looking standard. Got the pads and some 300mm discs. Just waiting on some bracket and lines then they can go on hopefully before Christmas.

Then this morning iv been stripping the old engine down.

23093037503_0e4bcc04e2_z.jpg

23424400820_c460a3e191_z.jpg

23352147459_befac7a4b4_z.jpg

23352146849_c6615736db_z.jpg

23093034693_2a78e15980_z.jpg