ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chris' Petrol Blue Project

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
Is it a bottom end or top end knock? If it's a bottom end knock I'd say it's spun the centre main bearing. Just like they all seem to do! If it is, it'll be terminal I'm afraid mate.

It sounds more top end when running but on start up there is a horrible loud clunk from lower down. Dan has said similar.

Im pretty much resigned to the fact it will need another engine. Currently looking at storing it away for a while.

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
Gutted for you mate! Looks epic with the recaro sportsters in.
I need a new set of seats for the Vee, just got to finish my house first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
:( I'm sorry to hear the bad news mate. Everything was coming together so well. I hope it doesn't take you too much time and money to get things sorted.

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
28643194264_e113524257_z.jpg

28643195544_dec90652b4_z.jpg

29266454795_2124e5a3b9_z.jpg

Will hopefully be at the point of taking it out this weekend. Tidy up the new one, Swap bits over, Get new one in.

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Haven't really done much with it this weekend, Have lost all enthusiasm now.

Anyone want to volunteer to come remove the old engine and put the new in ? Once its in id like to take it to Rentec to get finished then decide what to do with it.

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Old engine is out, new is in and we stripped the old one to inspect the damage. Only pictures of the damage today. Will be getting it all put back together tomorrow.

Tiny bit of metal floating around in the sump.
29634318462_e6d22d6b28_z.jpg

29710546016_b59c110a0d_z.jpg

Doesn't show but the cams have some light scoring.
29119107294_6c368dd813_z.jpg

29454465110_9d9ab37545_z.jpg

Pitted and scored
29634323702_0979b09135_z.jpg

29710552346_307771437c_z.jpg

29745944055_1c8920c37d_z.jpg

Propper job.
29119104134_321277002d_z.jpg

29454465760_b76f1199a8_z.jpg

A not so goosed one for comparison.
29634319762_7485d9b3f0_z.jpg

The bores were very slightly scored but a lot of pitting in them. The remaining oil in the sump was grey.

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Just the driveshafts left now, then all the fluids and on Saturday it will be fired up :tired: Got hold of a PMS Ac delete kit and fitted that last weekend with everything else.

29362403854_9f2e8007d7_z.jpg

29990103855_f341888c55_z.jpg

Currently looking for a winter hack :)

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
And for the Second time..... Shes Back :sweat:

Mate came round to button up the shafts while i sorted all the fluids out. Whipped inlet on and she fired right up :) Sounded a little rough for the first 5 mins but then soon settled down. Got the rest of the bodywork back on along with the wheels and took it out for a little test run up to the test triangle and back. Car felt Aok, gears selecting well driving fine. Came back and pulled up to a horrid smell, Coolant dripping ! One of the Forge hose had come loose on the firewall. Done it back up and double checked all the other clips and filled it back up. Ran it up to temperature again and then took it for a little 5min spin.

29774991730_ba7de54f68_z.jpg

Then this morning we took it to Goodwood Breakfast club for its proper maiden voyage. She ran perfectly. Took it back out for a longer run earlier and took some pictures.

29985659271_dd4ac80585_z.jpg

30068987685_3cc72bfc35_c.jpg

30068986945_86de53a7a5_c.jpg

It will be getting a full on detail next weekend, Will also tidy up the engine bay as it looks terrible compared to what it used to with the 182 inlet.

30068986015_1d0a5d199c_z.jpg

27578687894_61292e9209_z.jpg

The same bits are there pretty much but the inlets are for the 172 so need to pickup a spare inlet from @Fletcher soon to be powder coated.

So whats next for the car ? For peace of mind i want to take it to get mapped again to be 100% sure its running Aok. Really want to spend the winter just finishing off the little bits, the paint is in terrible condition and the amount of dents in it are very annoying.

All in all its been a pretty crap year so far on the car front but hopefully the engine gremlins have gone for Good !

So whats next for the car ? For peace of mind i want to take it to get mapped again to be 100% sure its running Aok. Really want to spend the winter just finishing off the little bits, the paint is in terrible condition and the amount of dents in it are very annoying.

All in all its been a pretty crap year so far on the car front but hopefully the engine gremlins have gone for Good !

Assume it's still on the cams? Map shouldn't be far out atall. Pop it down and I'll sort out a nice deal for you as you've not exactly had the best luck!

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
There's value in all of that what you are classing as scrap mate!

Local guy only wanted the Blocks ! Suppose its better than nothing.

Assume it's still on the cams? Map shouldn't be far out atall. Pop it down and I'll sort out a nice deal for you as you've not exactly had the best luck!

Messaged you mate :)

So yesterday i took the car upto Goodwood for a Porsche track event. Didn't take a camera sadly, but whilst i was there the car died :( Wouldn't even bump start !!!! Got my mate to take me home and grabbed some tools. Found a dodgy earth so cleaned that up and she fired right up. Went to go out this morning and the STOP and Battery lights are on but go out if you rev it. Alternator is goosed. Thankfully with the AC delete it will only take 5mins to swap :)

Im sure my luck is bound to change soon with this car :astonished:

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Have sorted out some of the little bits in the engine bay last week, New Airfilter, New Breather filter and sent the 172 inlets away to be powder coated.

30700020122_6fbe3d48b8.jpg

30728668371_6b7f7ff259.jpg

No picture of the inlet but it will be a darker version of the old one :) Should look good once its all put together.

EFI Parts.

So early yesterday i set off to EFI. Got there all ok no issues coming from the PB thankfully. Met Chris and he went straight to work fixing the EML light by soldering on a resistor to the old carbon canister wiring. After logging the old map he went straight in to a pull on the Dyno. Made 182bhp straight away :) Later explained the top end mapping was spot on and a credit to Dan as the AFR only needed tweaking slightly. In the mid range it was a bit all over the place. Tidied it up a bit and did another run. 184bhp this time. Some more little tweaks and she finally ran 185.3BHP :) Really chuffed with that result. Chris was a little disappointed he couldn't get any more from it but i was happy. He did some more pulls to check all was Aok.

30699766562_653b70f5a8_z.jpg

30728667031_ef7cf144c0_z.jpg

30817094045_0b0f35b926_z.jpg

30700134732_323663aacd_z.jpg

Chris then deleted the Airbag and service light that was pulled up when swapping to the Recaro's. Got it off the Dyno and handed me the keys. Took it for a quick test drive and it felt great.

Can't recommend Chris enough really. Absolutely top of his field.

Wales.

Had been wanting to do at least once decent driving trip this year !!!! With having to replace 2 engines and all the time taken this year iv driven my car......... 1079 miles !!!!! I thought it was a little more but iv really lost track of how long we were working on it ! After spending the night just out side of Welshpool i had a plan of where to go and just headed out towards the Elan Valley.

Was a little cold in the morning though.

30816696355_a60ef81712_z.jpg

Headed for the Elan Vally and came down the road through Cwmystwyth stopping off for some photos along the way. The roads were a touch icy where the sun hadn't been so was taking it relatively slowly.

30728459611_e211262bf8_z.jpg

30699765112_9bba6837c5_z.jpg

Had previously headed down at the top of the reservoirs but this time headed straight for Rhayder then down towards Brecon.

30699764662_61a235ca2e_z.jpg

30184815764_f9e24ed951_z.jpg

Spent a little while driving round the beacons and really started enjoying the car. The smoothness of it now is lovely, Diff working very well and the tyres playing there part quite nicely. Have noticed the rear shocks are on there last legs though. Hitting a bump mid corner would send the back out a touch, nothing too bad but enough to make me quite weary of pushing on. Will get them sorted asap. Took a couple more pictures and then headed home :)

30816692335_335fdb7777_z.jpg

30181724823_9e117587d3_z.jpg

Thanks for reading. Heres looking forward to a new less stressful 2017 :)

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Good to hear it's all running smoothly now, and pulling good numbers too! Time to enjoy it now, but not too much as 1k a year it must be a ultra rare low miles pb 182 now. [emoji38] [emoji106]

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Thought this needed updating :)

Engine

- 172 Engine
- V6 airbox with SFS silicone bend
- Forge Motorsport hose kit
- Magnecor Leads
- Standard Mounts with Powerflex insert
- KTR Ultra Performance exhaust
- Powdercoated inlets, fuel rail guard, and ECU cover/brackets
- Bosch S4 battery
- New Coolant and Power Steering fluid bottles
- Zinc plated bolts
- Mapped by EFI Parts. 185.3bhp/161.1lbft

Transmission
-
Rebuilt Gearbox
- Quaife Differential
- PH1 gear shifter

Handling

- Standard shocks
- Eibach springs front and rear
- Whiteline ARB
- Standard 182 cup alloys, Bridgestone Potenza RE002
- 5mm spacer (front)

Braking

- Brembo 4 pots, Un-painted
- Custom HEL braided lines
- Custom Chris Powell 300mm Brembo brake brackets
- Brembo Pads
- 300mm Brembo HCs (Front)
- Renault OEM Discs (Rear)
- ATE Super Blue Racing brake fluid

Interior

- Recaro Sportster seats
- Custom JonFoz frames
- Connects 2 3.5mm jack install

Exterior

- Carbon Splitter
- 197 Renault Sport badge
- 3/4 Plate

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
As previously mentioned the rear shocks needed replacing. I did think about doing it after Christmas but after a drive out last week the car was all over the place when pressing on. Going over a slight depression in the road would unbalance the car a fair bit, then the diff would lock and pull wildly in any direction the wheels were turned. At one point the car felt like it jumped into on comping traffic !!! Ordered a new set from Russ (£40 cheaper than Ktec) and then fitted them this weekend. The cars now back to its predictable self :)

The old set wouldn't even compress
31019989581_00e44757e7_z.jpg

The car also passed a milestone
31019990071_b1f86ca507_z.jpg

And some photos from the test drive with the new shocks
31134297435_88470b14ac_z.jpg

31019989301_6dd7e342a8_z.jpg

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Hadn't really planned to do an track time until well into next year. Pistonheads held there annual Sunday Service at Goodwood again this weekend. Track day on the Saturday, big meet up on the Sunday. The track day was only £200 so i booked it :)

Took the Friday off before and as you can probably imagine checked over the car a lot. Also gave it a clean. Got my go pro charged and all my camera gear sorted. My mate was also driving as a thank you for helping me out with everything. It was the first time he's ever driven on any track, the first time he's ever fully driven my car in anger !!!!

Saturday rolled round and we set off for the 10min drive to Goodwood and set up. People started turning up through the morning and we went to get noise tested. In to the drivers briefing for 30 mins then headed out to unload the car and join the queue. The day was originally planned for 40 cars. 22 turned up :) No need to rush as there was plenty of time to be had on circuit. Flew few a couple of early sessions quite steady as the rain had started and also getting used to driving the car hard again. Also was absolutely bricking it, thinking the car would fail on me again. It didn't :) It held up really really well.

The only issues that came up were the unbalanced wheels and the pads were fading after a short while. Drove round theses issues and kept the speed down a bit and just enjoyed the day. Ended up not taking any photos or video in the end, just a lot of time on track. My mate jumped in and really took to it. Only a couple of pointers here and there. We came back in and i jumped back in for our final session. They closed the track early as the rain was coming back in, could of easily done another session but thats the way it goes i suppose.

So yea really enjoyable and the cars back to its former self :) Going to sort the little issues out soon (possibly Turini's) and then book some more days next year.

Only photo i got !

30739313024_c156c3cff9_z.jpg

Today i finally got round to fitting the inlet i had powder coated.

31433944102_235b279ce4_z.jpg

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Been a bit of a disappointing year of the PB. End of the year really did pickup and has really spurred me on for more track time :) Been looking at getting some Turinis for track and also to get the wheels spaced out perfectly to accept the standard road wheels and the track set. Found a tatty set for cheap. Took them to Extreme Alloys in Fareham as a mate (used to be on here) Sam had just started working there and was able to offer a slight discount.

31945296206_d712e95c9c_z.jpg

31865660381_1bbddd4397_z.jpg

Will get some 15mm spacers for the front and will finally fit the 10mm Rear hub spacers soon. With a bit of rough measuring they should be perfect for the job. Should also be able to get the fronts balanced again then :) Will also get a new set of Pads for the Brembos, Probably DS11.1. The cars also going to Rentech soon for a service, should be also getting the rear discs and pads changed as the last time i looked at them it looked like a mass of rust !

Have booked the day at Brands Hatch for the 20th February so it will have to be sorted by then. Looking forward to doing a few more days this year. Have planned to do at lest 5 more. Cadwell, Donnington, and Angelsey being the 3 i really want to do. Will more than likely do Goodwood again as well.

Cleaned the car and as it was quite bright i went out to grab some pictures.

PB really shining through :cool:
31139246284_93edfe0b3f_z.jpg

31170099943_29bfa6d897_z.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Brands Hatch Prep #1.

With Brands looming i wanted to get the car ready. It went in for its service at the beginning of Jan. All was Aok thankfully, just confirmed what i already knew. The rear brakes will need replacing fairly soon, hopefully they will last a few more track days yet. The Top mounts are staring to wear, will be replacing them at some point with a full suspension refresh.

Since it came back iv ordered a new set of DS1.11 and new discs. And also some Federal 595RS-R. Got the rubber fitted at my mates but he messed one up so iv got 3 facing 1 way!

31878835104_0dd40c493c_z.jpg

Also set about fitting the discs and pads today along with the front wheels. All went alright.

32598786641_6db2f00892_z.jpg

32598782961_09b3a6b0ae_z.jpg

Once i finished i noticed the passenger side wheel was spaced out more ?? Took a while to recognise whats happened.

31917467473_be21ef79bd.jpg
32351374670_c8c3b73f84.jpg

When the brackets are fitted the passenger side was back too front. Instead of correcting the wrong one i went to the drivers side and swapped that round too.. Thinking id get them both spaced out too eliminate possible clearance issues. Thankfully Tim pointed out to me they would drag the Pads and cause problems with releasing the disc correctly. Will swap them back next weekend.

Next weekend is going to be quite busy.... Went to go out Friday night and got about 10mins down the road and the STOP and Battery light flashed up ! Another Alternator !!! Can't be 100% sure there is a problem causing them to fail or just this last one was a second hand unit. Iv ordered a brand new one now so should be able to tell if it goes again. Now iv got 2 spare il take them to get repaird as backups. Also iv got the PMS tensioner bracket and a new belt turning up. The current one is getting slack now and is on it last few turns of the tensioner.

So a busy weekend coming up !

32440084265_466123e9af_z.jpg

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Been a bit of a disappointing year of the PB. End of the year really did pickup and has really spurred me on for more track time :smile: Been looking at getting some Turinis for track and also to get the wheels spaced out perfectly to accept the standard road wheels and the track set. Found a tatty set for cheap. Took them to Extreme Alloys in Fareham as a mate (used to be on here) Sam had just started working there and was able to offer a slight discount.

31945296206_d712e95c9c_z.jpg

31865660381_1bbddd4397_z.jpg

Will get some 15mm spacers for the front and will finally fit the 10mm Rear hub spacers soon. With a bit of rough measuring they should be perfect for the job. Should also be able to get the fronts balanced again then :smile: Will also get a new set of Pads for the Brembos, Probably DS11.1. The cars also going to Rentech soon for a service, should be also getting the rear discs and pads changed as the last time i looked at them it looked like a mass of rust !

Have booked the day at Brands Hatch for the 20th February so it will have to be sorted by then. Looking forward to doing a few more days this year. Have planned to do at lest 5 more. Cadwell, Donnington, and Angelsey being the 3 i really want to do. Will more than likely do Goodwood again as well.

Cleaned the car and as it was quite bright i went out to grab some pictures.

PB really shining through :cool:
31139246284_93edfe0b3f_z.jpg

31170099943_29bfa6d897_z.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Sam thwaites?

Can you pm me how much you paid for the refurb please mate, they look great!