ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chris's 172 Cup Turbo

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Tried to make some progress yesterday with getting the rust primer sprayed underneath. Massively underestimated the amount of cans I needed and ran out after 4 of them.

IMG_8435.jpeg

IMG_8454.jpeg

So we turned our attention to the engine bay. I had some VHT silver but didn’t quite realise how shiny it would be. Still, it’s an improvement.

Honda bond was also used on the bolts to try and eliminate any oil. I suspect the mess before we cleaned it had probably leaked from the VVT solenoid.

IMG_8431.jpeg

We also mocked up the MTC hoses. They fit nicely. One of the OEM items was starting to split, so it made sense to fit new ones.

IMG_8186.jpeg

Once the primer had dried, I decided to silicone the sections where there are joins. It’s not pretty, but it’s a preventative measure to stop water ingress.

IMG_8466.jpeg

IMG_8467.jpeg

Underneath needs another go, but after that was touch dry i stone chipped on top of the silicone inside both arches.

IMG_8482.jpeg

I’ll continue to add to this over the next few days. In the meantime, I’ve been trying to refurb the heat shields with some VHT silver. One done so far. Sadly the rain put a stop to spraying.

IMG_8479.jpeg

Manifolds, inlets and airbox looking decent too. Have had them sprayed by a friend who is helping me with the build. I was tempted by an induction kit, but would rather have exhaust noise over the rather loud induction noise an open cone filter creates.

82b5a3fb-1d1f-4d5c-aad6-46509d07dc32.jpeg

IMG_8458.jpeg

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Incredible work Chris! this is going to be a minter.

The heat shield, inlets, fuel guard and airbox look superb. Did you get the throttle body sprayed the same as the inlets?

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Incredible work Chris! this is going to be a minter.

The heat shield, inlets, fuel guard and airbox look superb. Did you get the throttle body sprayed the same as the inlets?

Thanks Colin, I really hope so. It's starting to get pretty expensive :ROFLMAO:.

Yes, we've done the throttle body too, just on the main housing. Probably the most fiddly of the bunch with all the masking

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Colin, I really hope so. It's starting to get pretty expensive :ROFLMAO:.

Yes, we've done the throttle body too, just on the main housing. Probably the most fiddly of the bunch with all the masking

Poverty brothers in arms 😂💪🏽

The pain is felt mate. I’m with you

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Not much done this weekend due to waiting on the powdercoaters for bits. Gaskets turned up for the manifolds and with the hardware back from the platers, we cracked on with re-assembling it all.

Really happy with the look. Hopefully I can keep on top of cleaning it and it will stay fresh.

Will do fluids next weekend and then turn the focus to the underside again.

IMG_8652.jpeg

IMG_8659.jpeg

IMG_8656.jpeg

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Slow progress with the poor weather at the moment. Took the box out last night in order to fit a new clutch, just because it’s easier to do now than later.

IMG_8747.jpeg

Turns out it was ok. Never mind. It can be a spare 🤣.

IMG_8754.jpeg

Also sprayed up the underside with stonechip. Pretty even coverage at this point so it will be on to Mondial Blue next!

IMG_8786.jpeg

IMG_8790.jpeg

Powdercoaters are seriously holding things up now. Quoted 7-10 days and it’s been 14! Daily chasing for them now. Next update will be the underside done completely and hopefully with some hardware attached.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
More progress on the car, but nowhere near as much as I’d have hoped at this stage. I wanted to get the rear beam back on, but don’t have a press for the bearings.

I’ve sprayed underneath and used a 2K lacquer to finish. FYI traditional 2K lacquer with a hardener that you release into the can before spraying is pretty nasty stuff. I didn’t realise. So ordered another batch of the Air Dry Converter type that doesn’t contain isocyanates.

Anyway, pics below.

Before lacquer and hardware being added.

IMG_8891.jpeg

After lacquer and adding fuel tank back
IMG_8914.jpeg

IMG_8944.jpeg

IMG_8949.jpeg

IMG_8938.jpeg

Powdercoated bits plus heatshields

IMG_8901.jpeg

Finally, I’ve opted for some M12 10.9 high tensile bolts to hold the rear beam brackets on. Trial fitted and fortunately, they fit ok, as they are partially threaded. Looks like they will do up tight. Black are the new ones, shiny ones are the OEM.

IMG_8926.jpeg

Last edited:

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
More bits done and the weekend isn’t even over!

Had a late one on Thursday. With the help of a friend we managed to lift the rear beam onto the car. Had to drop the tank, then slide the bolts through the brackets. Bit of a faff.

IMG_8974.jpeg

Today, I rebuilt the front subframe. Absolute pain getting these bearings in to the wishbones. We got there in the end with a press kit. Doing my best not to mash up the powdercoat.

IMG_9042.jpeg

Anti roll bar has been powdercoated. Getting into place was tricky. I found a combo of G clamp, mole grip and bolt worked (basically, whatever I could get a hold of)

IMG_9075.jpeg

Better photos of the rear during the day.

IMG_9081.jpeg

The handbrake cable doesn’t pass through on the rear beam for some reason on the passenger side, so I am going to pop it off the actual handbrake and try and pass it through the other way.

IMG_9078.jpeg

Managed to lift the subframe in first without the supports, then slowly tighten each corner. I’ve used aftermarket bolts and not the stupid OEM design with the cages on the nuts. Getting them in was a lot easier than getting them out!!

IMG_9087.jpeg

And that’s about it for today. Tomorrow I’ll get the supports in, the hubs on and the shocks. Still plenty to do on the engine bay side too.

Last edited:

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
More photos. Had a successful day overall, even with the rubbish weather. Main hurdle to overcome currently is getting the car into gear.

First discovered the issue after trying to tighten the drive shafts to the hubs. Clutch seems to engage/disengage ok. Just won’t quite pop into gear. Might be the linkage that I need to adjust perhaps.

Any ideas appreciated!

Just the pads to go in now.

IMG_9105.jpeg

I’ve got new linkages and track rod ends to go in too, just not the tools at the minute to replace them.

The lines are solid but not ideal when packed with washers. The OEM brackets didn’t seem to work with the braided lines sadly.

IMG_9128.jpeg

The rear is all built up and lines tightened through the grommets. Really happy with how this has turned out.

IMG_9124.jpeg

Inside the car the T-piece is pop riveted into place and tightened. They are on show in the boot, but this is ok, as it won’t be used as a work horse.

IMG_9126.jpeg

Bias valve mounted to the side of the handbrake housing. Probably the best place for it to go, and doesn’t impact seat/handbrake functionality.

IMG_9127.jpeg

Managed to grab a few photos of the underside whilst trying to fit the poxy gear linkage.

IMG_9139.jpeg

IMG_9137.jpeg

Finally, glossy bits in the engine bay. Including the scuttle panel which I’ve used some ceramic coating on.

IMG_9148.jpeg

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Update on the car, it’s working!

This weekend has been an absolute slog, and it’s not just me that’s been working on the car. I had the help of two others to bleed brakes, tighten rear beam and get the car back to where it is.

Pleased to say that is drives superbly, bar the tracking being way out.

Next up - windscreen replacement and some detailing. The body isn’t really up to the standard I want it to be, compared to the previous car.

I think best bet is to maintain the underside for now until I can afford a decent daily/clubsport spec’d 250 or similar to do track duties, at which point I can look at resprays or touching up certain panels.

Just a reminder of what we started with back in October 😂.

IMG_5624.jpeg

Vs where it is now. New track rod ends and boots are in. Just need to get the tracking done next. Have got camber bolts - shout if you can recommend settings!

IMG_9244.jpeg

I’ve fitted PBS pro trackpads and also have the arch liners a good clean and ceramic coating.

Same with the rears too.

IMG_9251.jpeg

The braided lines in the car with the rear bench in. Will look at the ISOfix bar soon. I reckon it will just fit over the T piece.

IMG_9270.jpeg

Moody shot because why not. Was working on the car till about 9:30 last night. Just to try and get it out on a run today.

IMG_9290.jpeg

Which we did in the end. Will just dump photos at this point. Car drives really nicely, no real concerns. Just a minor handbrake adjustment needed.

IMG_9310.jpeg

Fitted the OEM exhaust for the time being. Will replace with a stainless one in time.

IMG_9307.jpeg

Had to tighten the top mounts down as they finally settled after a drive. The coolant in this is the new type D replacement. Not a fan. Looks almost black most of the time.

IMG_9315.jpeg

Finally, back home, feet up. Job done.

IMG_9330.jpeg

IMG_9336.jpeg

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
A few gremlins presenting themselves, as to be expected. All ok with the exception that it sometimes doesn’t want to start. I just get a click and no crank.

The car wants to fire though, maybe after the 3rd attempt. Other times it fires immediately. Have checked battery terminals.

Tracking is a million miles off. Going in tomorrow for a basic alignment ahead of a proper one next week.

IMG_9345.jpeg

I have working front lights, one rear light and the number plate light isn’t working. Both rear light clusters seem ok. Yet, the dashboard doesn’t light up.

IMG_9353.jpeg

So I’ve tried the usuall. Bridging the dimmer switch to eliminate a faulty component. No luck. Also replaced the relay in the passenger footwell. No luck on that front either. Have checked all 10 & 15AMP fuses. Will check the rest this evening. Not ideal for night time driving :ROFLMAO:

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Update on the car as I had an opportunity to take it for a proper drive today. Everything is mega, for an OEM Cup at least. I assume that it drives “like new” as just about everything suspension wise is new.

Steering feels direct, feedback is fantastic. Driver engagement is a solid 10/10. Noise is surprisingly throaty and the engine feels strong enough. A highlight is the pedal feel with the bias valve. Absolutely brilliant bit of kit.

Culprit for the dashboard not lighting up
was a blown fuse.

IMG_9392.jpeg

So, replaced it, dash lights flashed up for a split second before blowing the fuse again. 3 hours of testing various bits until it was traced back to this crappy eBay replacement number plate light. I’ve ordered a genuine one.

7880a559-2d05-416b-a6de-da3b5409d128.jpeg

Problem solved for now. All good otherwise. I’ve got tracking booked in for Tuesday. Spa is a week tomorrow.

P1600779.jpeg

P1600895.jpeg

P1600905.jpeg

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Stunning work! Glad you finished it in time to give it a shakedown and fix any issues before you go to Spa!

Look forward to the Spa pics / videos!

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Spa is the best track i've ever driven around. Absolutely mega. The car did 800 miles in total, stopping off at Bruges, Spa, Brussels and then home again, but not without drama.

10 laps / three sessions in, the car developed a knock. I wasn't sure where from, so decided to jack the front up and look for play. This is where it all went wrong. Turns out the one component I didn't change had failed. Wheel bearing had a fair bit of play. I had not choice but to retire for the day.

Really wish I'd done the wheel bearings now, but what's done is done.

53645764226_29cf7156e8_o.jpg

53644891742_76954a51d9_o.jpg

This is what a broken man looks like. Figured if I stared at it long enough, somehow it might be fixed.

93dab636-4bfa-465c-b104-d10ddfce25f7.jpg

Fuelling up for the journey home.

IMG_9731.jpeg

There was another Cup on the journey too which was cool.

IMG_9739.jpeg

Will 100% be going again next year. With new wheel bearings.

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Sods law the one thing you didn't change had to fail! 10 laps is still good, it could've happened on the first lap. Nice track pics.