ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chwechy Racers - Route 666 / Snowdonia Driveout

Chwechy Racers - Route 666 / Snowdonia Driveout
Posted by CliosportCal
Leeds
Saturday, May 11, 2019 - 04:00 AM
Until: Saturday, May 11, 2019 - 05:30 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Route 666 presents …

'CHWECHY RACERS'

Stage 1: http://maps.route666.co.uk/stage1
Stage 2: http://maps.route666.co.uk/stage2
Stage 3: http://maps.route666.co.uk/stage3

Starting in Leeds at 4am and ending in Conwy at roughly 5.30pm !

Snakes Pass - Horseshoe Pass - Evo Triangle - Snowdonia

We have decided to do the main event over one day, but you are free to join the convoy at any where that suits you. So if you wish to travel down to Wales on the Friday and stay over 1/2 nights then make your way home Saturday/Sunday the main event will be Saturday only.

Full breakdown of petrol stops and food breaks to come over the next few days as we look at each stage in more detail.
We are working behind the scenes to bring you loads of prizes with the likes of Road Track Race Parts, SVS Automotive, Kill All Wipers & Tyre City confirmed already.
A huge success from the previous event was the photo package with most of you snapping up the offer. This year we have gone bigger and better .. more details on this to follow!

Please Comment Below to be added to the private Facebook Page where all final details will be released.

Yeah but it was only a very short stage of our whole drive, still an average at 60 isn't bad with all the Twisties and that
It just annoys me that roads you can see are empty to the horizon have to be driven at some arbitrary number rather than at a speed from which you can stop in the distance you can see to be clear!

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
It just annoys me that roads you can see are empty to the horizon have to be driven at some arbitrary number rather than at a speed from which you can stop in the distance you can see to be clear!
If everyone drove like that then there'd be very few accidents, and the recent fatalities on the EVO triangle might have been avoided. But some people drive badly. So things like this happen. C'est la vie.

To be fair, if I was one of the very few people who live/work on the triangle I'd want a limit of 30mph - people driving at speed on those roads must blight the enjoyment (and perceived safety) of local residents.

If everyone drove like that then there'd be very few accidents, and the recent fatalities on the EVO triangle might have been avoided. But some people drive badly. So things like this happen. C'est la vie.

To be fair, if I was one of the very few people who live/work on the triangle I'd want a limit of 30mph - people driving at speed on those roads must blight the enjoyment (and perceived safety) of local residents.
I'd like to think I was able to drive faster than the noobs to the area if I lived there ;) lol

But yes, totally agree. Lack of proper training and education, and subsequently poor attitude = people make mistakes and/or drive like dicks = ruined for the people who can drive properly.

Hence we now apparently have to cater for the lowest common denominator, and yawn-inducing limits are being introduced everywhere while the driving test gets easier (driving forward into a space, anyone? :rolleyes: )

Anyway, I'll take my Victor Meldrew cap off now ;) lol

I hope to get over to Wales at some point in the not too distant future so will look forward to it!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I expect the majority of people who own a performance car think they can drive better than noobs in regular models. Even the ones who end up in ditches and fields. Just because a trained driver who works for a car magazine makes drifting around corners and flying over humps look easy doesn't make it a safe thing for Joe blogs to be doing on the public highway. If people have died on that stretch of road then the cameras are justified surely?

I expect the majority of people who own a performance car think they can drive better than noobs in regular models. Even the ones who end up in ditches and fields. Just because a trained driver who works for a car magazine makes drifting around corners and flying over humps look easy doesn't make it a safe thing for Joe blogs to be doing on the public highway. If people have died on that stretch of road then the cameras are justified surely?
I think a lot depends on the reason for the collision that caused the loss of life.

- Did they go flying off the edge of a sharp drop because the road markings and signs were missing or not clear enough?
- Was an adverse camber not indicated, leading to loss of grip mid-corner?
- Did they plough into the side of someone because the sightlines at a junction were poor and they couldn't see a car waiting to pull out / the car waiting to pull out couldn't see approaching traffic?
- Was there diesel spilled on the road from an over-full tank and a poorly-fitting fuel tank cap?
- Was the road surface poorly maintained in places, leading to spalling and crumbling that led to 'gravel' being present within a braking zone and grip levels therefore being greatly and unexpectedly reduced?
- Were there potholes present that could have jarred a vehicle's steering and caused an unexpected change of direction into the path of an oncoming vehicle?
- Were there metal drainage or services covers that were highly polished through years of wear, leading to loss of grip by a vehicle traversing them first thing in the morning, when they might be colder than the road surface and therefore holding dew longer than the now-dry road surface?

- Was the vehicle correctly maintained in terms of brakes, ABS, suspension, bushes, wiper blades, screenwash fluid, horn, tyre pressures, tyre tread depths, quality of tyres, lights, electronic driver aids, removal of clutter from the passenger cell that could have impeded or distracted the driver, etc.?
- Was the driver poorly trained, meaning they did not know about limit point analysis and only driving at a speed from which one can stop in the distance to be clear on one's side of the road (or half that distance on a single-track road)?
- Were they off their face on intoxicating substances?
- Was the radio so loud as to mask the sounds of the road surface, and therefore grip levels, changing?
- Was the driver's eyesight up to the minimum permitted driving test standard and corrected by clean, correct-prescription spectacles if necessary?

There are so many potential factors involved in traffic collisions (single or multiple vehicle) yet the apparent 'easy fix' for all problems everywhere on the network is "lower the limit! Wheel out the cameras! Get those b******s doing 70 in a clearly-sighted 60 at 7am on a dry Sunday morning in August!!!".

Speed limits are such a blunt tool. If people were trained properly in this country then there would be fewer accidents - by which I mean:

- lessons on correct use of the highway network, whether on foot, bicycle, motorbike, car, etc. from an early age;
- followed by practical experience learning to control a vehicle in a controlled, off-road environment in all situations, including higher speeds, skid avoidance and skid recovery;
- then attitudinal training to engender responsibility for one's actions, an understanding of how other drivers act and react, and how one's own actions determine the reactions of others;
- and, finally, on-road training to bring together all of the previous learning and learn how to drive appropriately on the public highway, including 'advanced' (but surely necessary) techniques such as the aforementioned limit point analysis and driving-to-be-able-to-stop-if-required;

Doing it this way would minimise the workload on a new driver on the public highway, because the driver would only be learning how to drive on-road, rather than learning how to operate the vehicle and how to drive on-road and how to understand and deal with other road users and learning where both their vehicle's and their own performance limits lie.

As it stands, new drivers have to do all of the above at the same time, which makes it bloody hard work and it's no wonder driving standards are so poor. And rather than learning to avoid having an accident, most people seem to learn how their car operates at its limits by having near-misses or driving like bell-ends when young. (I include myself in that latter category.)

Instead... we won't bother training people properly, we'll make the test easier (removing manouevres like the three point turn and reversing into a space), and we'll just make people drive so mind-numbingly slowly everywhere that when they have an accident they didn't see coming because they were staring out the side window from boredom, they'll be travelling too slowly to do any real damage.

And, of course, come 2022, cars will be 'intelligent' (haha) and apply rigid speed limiters at all times and in all places, so people will have one less thing to think about and driving standards can continue their decline towards r****d level, to the point that the authorities will have no option but to rule to bring in automated driving only and ban actual driving because, you know, machines can save us from our own (self-created) ineptitude.

[/victor Meldrew]

Last edited:

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I agree with what you say there. My daughter has just passed and has a black box fitted for her insurance. To score well they say no speeding, harsh braking and not to drive at night. Surely limiting new drivers experience of any scenario is stupid, no? There's so much for them to learn once passed and out there alone.
It only takes 10 mins on YouTube to see how any situation can lead to a crash and some people are just utter mongs and shouldn't be driving. However, a stretch of road such as the EVO triangle attracts a certain type of drive because of how its been used by the motoring press and if excess speed has caused accidents then cameras are justified imo.