ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 cup rally/race/track car

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
] A few months back now I bought a msa logbooked clio rolling shell.
The plan was to buy a donar car for the engine and brakes and make one car out of the two.

I ended up buying this 172 cup off eBay, it had bucket seats, coilovers and sabelt wheel.

But I got offered to much profit on the rolling shell and it was sold with in a week of owning it.
IMG_3951.PNG
I

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
One of my road car
IMG_1332.PNG
IMG_1333.PNG
IMG_1331.PNG
IMG_1329.PNG
First up was to get the belts done, new battery and new alternator.

Then took it to three sisters in Wigan in the rain.

Found out a few things. One being the vmaxx coilovers are shocking

Attachments

• IMG_1333.PNG
    IMG_1333.PNG
    799.8 KB · Views: 257
  Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0282.JPG
IMG_5170.JPG

Since that first outing. The car had new gaz golds all round with ktec solid engine and gearbox mounts, 6 pro race 1.2s with a048 tyres on. The difference was amazing

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
5A84E596-451E-4171-BC8A-B7F7C0200CA0.jpg
IMG_1307.PNG

Manged to get an ex clio cup racer cage. I'm going to be adding an X door bar to the drivers side to match.

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
I'm new to the track, why did you spin right there? I was expecting it at a tight corner.
Car sounds great BTW.
Thank you. And it was a number of things, I let off just going over the brow, and I put the right front wheel on the grass. My mate races in the Porsche Carreras cup and he did the exact same spin.

After that spin I came in and found the power steering sensor leaking fluid. So that might of had something to do with it too

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
Finished stripping the rest of the interior out today. Ready for the cage fitting this week.

Also fitted my pop off steering wheel boss and ordered some PBS front and rear pads and some brembo HC discs
IMG_1460.JPG
IMG_1466.JPG
IMG_1465.JPG
IMG_1461.JPG
IMG_1462.JPG

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
Small update.

The roll cage is getting fitted and sprayed at the minute. I should get the car back early next week.

I've ordered the PBS front and rear pads, bargain at £120 for the both. Supposedly compared to RC6 but half the price.
Hopefully they've be better than the yelllow stuff I'm running at the minute.

I've also bought 2 new seats.

IMG_1533.jpg

So my omp seats will be for sale soon.

I've also booked Donington for the 9th of August.

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
IMG_1573.JPG
IMG_1574.JPG

Picked up my two sparco circuit seats last night.... and are possibly up for sale. They fit a little to tight on the hips.
You can tell compared to the omp seats the difference in size.
I'm going to fit them in Wednesday when I get the car back from having the cage fitted. If they don't feel right they'll be up for sale.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
This looks like it's going to be a brilliant car when complete!

Did you source the cage through
R-Sport? If you don't mind me asking; how much was it? Weighing up my options.

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
This looks like it's going to be a brilliant car when complete!

Did you source the cage through
R-Sport? If you don't mind me asking; how much was it? Weighing up my options.
Thanks mate.
And no I managed to find the cage for sale on eBay second hand at a very good price. I did contact R-Sport about the base spreader plates. But they never replied to my email.

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
IMG_1794.JPG
IMG_1868.JPG
IMG_1861.JPG
IMG_1862.JPG
Been rushed off my feet to finish the car. Dash, seats and new 6 point harnesses in. PBS pads on front and rear as the yellow stuff were knackered after oulton.

I'm at donington tomorrow. So I'll get some proper pictures and videos

Also the blue sparco seats are still for sale. They did sell the the lad never shown up.

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
Amazing day at donington park yesterday.

The morning was really wet and slippery. Had a lot of brown pants moments. Mainly due to brand new pads and a048 in the wet. We were locking up under braking even when trying to brake lightly.

Did one lap on some toyo road tyres which were even worse. But after about 11 am the track dried up and the car was flying.

I got black flagged for being to loud on drive by. So had to spend the rest of the day lifting off going down the straight not to set the fb reader off.

I've got some videos. But they are taking forever to load to YouTube.
Fastest lap of the day was a 1:57 with a lift down the straight which I'm happy with on my first time round

IMG_1868.JPG
XSP_9954 (2).JPG
XSP_9722 (2).JPG
XSP_9665 (2).JPG
XSP_9551 (2).JPG
xsp_0281 (2).jpg
XSP_9308 (2).JPG

One of the videos of the day

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
How did you find the pads?
I thought they were great. Can't compare to Carbon Lorraine but I couldn't of asked for anything better.

Squeal a little when cold, didn't fade all day. Only issue is was there's quite a lot of brake dust. But the pads don't even look like they've been used

Clio RS 172 2002
I'm still loving this. :)
I saw my first ever 172 Cup at a track meet (Lakeside, QLD) a few weeks ago. I'm in Australia and the Cups never came here. A crafty Pom managed to bring one in as a rally/race car. Hey Gary if you're reading!
PS Can you teach your brother to rev-match on down-shifts, please.

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
As you can see in the title you have RALLY CAR, since I've started the build it was always going to be one after having fun with it in track days the the summer.
After my brother has bought a 106 gti. Which is msa log booked, with a Quafie diff and starlight cut gears, it's time for me to pull my finger out so.....

I've ordered

Tank guard
Sump guard
Hydraulic hand brake
Bias valve
Rear poly windows (already have front. Just not fitted)
4mm mudflaps

Then all I need is cut of switches, plumber in extinguisher and a change of seats. And it will be ready for msa log booking over the winter.

IMG_2059.JPG

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
What rear windows you going for? I'm tempted but want some with the black borders.

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
What rear windows you going for? I'm tempted but want some with the black borders.
I've gone for the acw ones. I'd like the black boarder too. But when the car gets stickered up, I'm going to get them to do the boarder on the outside in vinyl

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
I've gone for the acw ones. I'd like the black boarder too. But when the car gets stickered up, I'm going to get them to do the boarder on the outside in vinyl

Yeah when a mate of mine bought his from there before removing the plastic film we used a scribe tool to cut off a border then painted it so that when removed the film completely we were left with a black border. Worked well but was a lot of hassle, you also need a certain type of paint for it to bond properly.

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
Yeah when a mate of mine bought his from there before removing the plastic film we used a scribe tool to cut off a border then painted it so that when removed the film completely we were left with a black border. Worked well but was a lot of hassle, you also need a certain type of paint for it to bond properly.

Yeah that is a good idea actually. I did almost buy the black border kit.
Not sure what a wrapped vinyl border will look like but hopefully it will look ok.

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
Some goodies came today

Pure motorsport sumpgaurd
Bias valve
Hydro handbrake

IMG_2223.JPG

Fitted the front poly windows today and mudflaps. But got to dark for pictures

Rear poly windows tomorrow
And I collect my GRP tank guard tomorrow, I've also ordered a proline motorsport brake kit that should come tomorrow too

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
Pretty much two weeks for one to turn up with me.
I'm not in a rush for it but I'd of thought it would be here within a week.
Have you fitted yours now? And if you did, did you have the engine in? Looks likes it's going to be a right struggle

dan's cast offs.
engine in and got rid of abs pump at the same time. the fitting wasn't that bad but to be honest i'd never have anything from them again. it was only down to the fact we had waited so bloody long for them and the car was booked to be logbooked that stopped them from getting sent back.

bit of a pain bringing the line into the car, ended up doing it just to the side of the column.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Agreed on that, i ordered 2 lines and it took well over 7 days for a stock item to be delivered and still needed work despite being 'plug and play'