ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 or cup or focus which

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 04 October 2003

Well peugeot arent exactly quality cars are they ?
LOL

Ive had a 106 GTi and a 306 Rallye, and although they aint perfect they were both a LOT better than the Clio with regards to build quality & reliability!!!

What alot of people are missing out on is why Renault made the Cup. It was done so they could quailfy for a certain group in rallying.

If they done it proper with no electric windows, cd player etc no one would buy it. Granted itd be a sh*t hot, fast motor but not really a car people would want to drive other than on a track.

All this knee jerk reaction to lack of ABS makes me laugh, it takes quite a lot to lock up my Cups brakes, dont think ive done it more than once and that was just after id got the car. Now i know its limitations the brakes are real good, not quite as good as my mates Leon Cupras though.

If someone else is paying go for the 172, a much better all round car.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Jim172CUP on 04 October 2003

If they done it proper with no electric windows, cd player etc no one would buy it...
Didnt seem to be a problem for Peugeot with the Rallye models though! ;)

That was a few years ago now, and the markets moved on somewhat. Even boy-racers want electric windows and power steering - i know i do!

And just to comment on the brakes of the Cup, although youre aware of there being no abs when youre driving in wet conditions its a completely different story when its dry, with no real driver skill needed to not lock em up. When the normal 172 stops from a 100mph in just 3.99 secs anyway (shortest stopping time in a previous Autocar road test beating, Caterham, ferrari, porsche etc) it shows that even without abs the car still stops quicker than most cars on the road.

E36 323i coupe

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 03 October 2003
Yeah, the stripped out no comforts talk is a bit silly IMO. ABS isnt a comfort (and is sh*t in icy weather). Nor is cruise control, xenon lights, or ESP which you really dont need.

Yep. gotto agree... the one time I needed this "hand of God ABS" it didnt f**king work... on some ice, and I narrowly missed a wall. My Dad has an MGZR... no ABS in that. Brakes are fantastic, and as long as you recognise the fact that you dont have the ability to steer when emergency stopping, then get the CUP. By all accounts the Cup is still a luxury car... if it were a stripped out racer, then there would be no flash dash, no electrics, no remote CD, no door inserts... need I go on? Its the same insurance group as the 172... that must say something. Plus you can beat more or less anything, and you shouldnt look like a "twaaat" wheel spinning if you can drive - at the most - moderately well.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Well I mean ice is ice ?? doesnt matter how good a system youve got if there is not traction nothing is going to help. Infact in ice you will probably stop quicker without ABS, same goes for heavy snow.

ps. Rich I wasnt saying renault were great quality, Im just saying peugeot always build light cars anyway hence not much to take out.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 05 October 2003

ps. Rich I wasnt saying renault were great quality, Im just saying peugeot always build light cars anyway hence not much to take out.
Got ya! :)