ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 phase 1 turbo

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Video from Combe Action day.

Relatively steady session, was only really bedding my new brakes in and having a bit of a shakedown but still managed to make reasonable progress, chopped the vid in half as the session was red flagged and we sat on the line of ages which im sure wont interest anyone.

New brakes definitely a big improvement on the old ones but were still getting slightly too hot as I could feel the pedal needing more pressure at certain points, I think its partly down to the pad compound I was using (was still on the cheapy yellowstuff pads I put in just to mock up with) so have swapped to a better pad now (ds2500) which will probably be enough, but going to look to add some ducting as well.

Annoyingly I picked up a stone in my radiator on the day of combe somehow and hence a tiny leak so only got in a couple of sessions before swapping to the RS2 car instead, but it was working really well other than that and Ive put a replacement rad in now so all is well again.
Still not sure what is happening with our house move so havent booked up much tracktime in the immediate future as a result, in fact I dont think I will get out again now until July for the RS evening at bedford. Going to be weird going 2 whole months in the summer with no trackdays!

Last edited by a moderator:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Those videos are terrible.. Not smooth at all..

I know mate, the file got corrupted and when I managed to recover it with some utility I downloaded it was all jerky.

Car goes well.. Bit of a weapon..

TBH there is a good few seconds a lap more to come if I man up on the brakes, but the pads I had in that day (yellowstuff werent filling me with much confidence)

53 Clio's & counting
I had yellowstuff in the elise, they did stop it ok but they had NO feel to them whatsoever

IMO they only work well in light cars, I had to use greenstuffs in one of my minis once and they worked ok - used them in a mates Sierra once and they lasted half a day lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
​Lol, certainly wouldn't normally be my first choice but they were the pads I had for mocking up with, didn't want to go and spend a couple of hundred quid on pads before I even knew if they would fit. These were merc sprinter van ones I got cheap and modified to fit the tarox six pots. To be fair they worked ok considering, but I've since replaced them with ds2500.
weirdly Russ the yellow stuff are pretty much the preferred pad for e39 m5 owners where they work really well, so I don't think it is just about weight. Seems very application specific.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Why would you have yellow stuff pads for merc sprinter van??

'Colour stuff' pads are all useless IME but to prove a concept they would do a job.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Why would you have yellow stuff pads for merc sprinter van??

'Colour stuff' pads are all useless IME but to prove a concept they would do a job.

Had them lieing around for ages, was using them for mocking up on my nova with the same calipers years ago.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That's a monster.. Love watching cars being reeled in.. cant wait to have a go.. Scary

Will have to wait a while now mate, lol.

I used the car at bedford yesterday and have got some engine problems to sort now, sounds like possibly its melted a piston.

I havent worked on the car at all since the weather got warmer and running 2 bar of boost on a hot day without even det checking was never going to be a good idea realistically, kind of kicking myself for being so impation but on the other hand I did have a good evening, lol.

Basically I was meant to det check it and make any required adjustments to the map last weekend as I could foresee the potential for problems but ended up working ludicrous hours last week instead (doing 80+ hour weeks plus commuting time for last few months is killing my free time) and by the time I got round to looking at it realised I couldnt as I have no idea where my det cans are as we have 40 rentacrates of garage equipment stacked up waiting for one of the new buildings to be finished (moved house in may and its a renovation project) and no time to go through it all, so it just got left and then I had to decide wether to turn the boost down to give it some safety margin or run it on full power unchecked and risk it I chose the latter.

Very silly of me to still take it on full power on such drastically different temps to when it was mapped and checked over (25 degrees yesterday and I think it might have actually been under zero the last time I checked it over), especially given how on the limit it is with regards to the intercooler and exhaust manifold etc. Was just one of those spur of the moment decisions that was made with my heart not my head! FLOL.

Shame as it was brilliant fun out on track before I killed it, but looks now like I used it yesterday evening at the expense of using it at FCS as with only 3 weeks left and me still so massively busy (mainly working a long way from home too so cant even do it evenings etc) its highly unlikely I'll fix it in time, and obviously no point rushing and trying to get there only to get a problem again, so I think I will just put it on hold now till the house stuff or the big project im working for work is finished as trying to juggle house/job/cars at the moment is proving impossible, and sadly its the cars that need to give in that equation now that its my head in charge again not my heart!

Will yank it apart in the next couple weeks at some point when I get a chance as would be nice to know for certain what exactly ive knackered. Best guess at this stage is the edge of one of the pistons will be missing.

Countryman JCW
Sorry to hear about this mate, was looking forward to having a blast out with you although my car was only holding 5-7psi once up to 5k... We think a weak actuator when hot because it will hold 11-12 when then engine/turbo cooled down.

​Will keep an eye out for the final diagnosis n hope you get a speedy turn around on repairing this mate.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sorry to hear about this mate, was looking forward to having a blast out with you although my car was only holding 5-7psi once up to 5k... We think a weak actuator when hot because it will hold 11-12 when then engine/turbo cooled down.

Heat variations from one day to another can play all sorts of games with a car, especially turbo ones where external temp differences can be exaggerated by hot components etc but im glad to hear you had a good time and hopefully an easy fix for you by the sounds of it.

Will keep an eye out for the final diagnosis n hope you get a speedy turn around on repairing this mate.

As above I dont think I will try and do a speedy turnaround on a fix mate, it was only bedford and FCS I was bothered about using it for before year end anyway now due to the house move so no point rushing to try and get it done just for FCS, would feel a lot more like work and a lot less like a hobby trying to squeeze it in at the moment.

Clio Trophy #343
Gutted for you on this one mate, good idea to have a rest, you have another great little car in Lesley's anyway :) then revisit when you can dedicate some time to it :)

As me and Matt are not so far away, be happy to come and help if your short of hands :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Rich. Thanks for the offer mate.
Should be ok though tbh as can just do it when les isn't working.

Gutted somehow I didn't get on track with you or Matt when I was in les's yesterday. You went well when she was driving though.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
That sucks mate! But as you said you can only blame yourself. Always better then to have something which you could blame on someone else!

Hope you'll fix it soon and enjoy the turbo again!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Bad times mate. Don't beat yourself up about it though, these things happen and it's just the way things are when you're running a modified engine.

Still, at least you'll have something to put on your shelf next to your banana shaped conrod lol (I bet it's still making good power!)

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
Gutting for you mate :( Hope its not to serious, and fixable. Was looking great out yesterday!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Gutting for you mate :(

No big deal mate, its only some engine bits and pieces at the end of the day, its not like it caught fire or something really bad like that.

Hope its not to serious, and fixable. Was looking great out yesterday!

Definately will be fixable mate, as lets face it I started with a bare block and head when I built it anyway so can easily do the same again if its worst case scenario, but I think I will get off quite lightly with how many bits are actually damaged, I think the pistons will be the only fairly expensive bit that needs replacing.
Not really expecting to spend more than a grand on fixing it really, although I might put a few quid into some extra goodies while Im at it.

Think I might swap to a 172 exhaust cam this time too, or possibly even both 172 cams, I had doubts about the 197 cams anyway and TBH I think they were a bad move but I wanted to give it a go just to see how they reacted.

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
No big deal mate, its only some engine bits and pieces at the end of the day, its not like it caught fire or something really bad like that.

Haha true, wouldn't want to get told off for misuse of a fire extinguisher lol.

Definately will be fixable mate, as lets face it I started with a bare block and head when I built it anyway so can easily do the same again if its worst case scenario, but I think I will get off quite lightly with how many bits are actually damaged, I think the pistons will be the only fairly expensive bit that needs replacing.
Not really expecting to spend more than a grand on fixing it really, although I might put a few quid into some extra goodies while Im at it.

Think I might swap to a 172 exhaust cam this time too, or possibly even both 172 cams, I had doubts about the 197 cams anyway and TBH I think they were a bad move but I wanted to give it a go just to see how they reacted.

I suppose so, gives you a chance to alter and improve things. As the pistons were new, and not overly used, is it worth a phonecall to say that one has failed? No need to give them full details, but you never know.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I suppose so, gives you a chance to alter and improve things. As the pistons were new, and not overly used, is it worth a phonecall to say that one has failed? No need to give them full details, but you never know.

FLOL!

No mate, bit like trying to make a warranty claim because your panels have distorted on your car when its cause you hit a tree.

Its not a drama, they arent mega dear, whole thing will be sorted for the value of a weeks overtime, Im really not bothered or I wouldnt have risked it in the first place.

WRX
One day, I'd love a passenger ride, I always let everyone else get in lol. Done three days together so far, fourth time lucky maybe?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
One day, I'd love a passenger ride, I always let everyone else get in lol. Done three days together so far, fourth time lucky maybe?

Flol, yes mate, sorry I dont really have any sort of formal queueing process or anything, its just first come first served.

WRX
No I know mate, I like to let the youngsters get involved lol. It's nice for the track newbies to experience it. It's fine by me to get more members on track and it's cars like yours that gather interest.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Bummer news. Hope it's not too much damage and hope it's back running soon.

Can't blame you for the gamble tho.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Pulled the head off today.

Piston on number 1 (gearbox end) has lost material round the edge as expected from how it sounded.
Weirdly though no signs of det at all, just lots of heat, so I'm suspecting it wasnt an issue with the map at all despite the fact it was written in freezing temps and not checked since (hence my suspicions), actually looks now more like it might be injector flow on that cylinder or similar.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
was just about to say overfueling caulsing a spike in cylinder temps.

still learning chip so dont shoot me if im wrong lol

Was going so well, was gutted to see this happen :( Thanks for the passenger laps really appreciate it! Interesting the diagnosis, when I was looking at the AFR's as we went flat chat down the straight I thought they were bob on!

340i
Pulled the head off today.

Piston on number 1 (gearbox end) has lost material round the edge as expected from how it sounded.
Weirdly though no signs of det at all, just lots of heat, so I'm suspecting it wasnt an issue with the map at all despite the fact it was written in freezing temps and not checked since (hence my suspicions), actually looks now more like it might be injector flow on that cylinder or similar.

That's the same problem the RS Meganes suffer from (more so when running over standard power).

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I suppose that's the thing when we have awesome weather, the ambient temps yesterday were quite high so imagine the track temps were more so. Chip do you have anything to read the charge temps?

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Ricardos, only when plugged into the laptop. Might add a gauge though.

I used to have one fitted on 1 of my R5 GT Turbos, a chap in the RTOC made them and proved to be the quickest reaction to temp change of any gauge out there. When people fitted them to to their cars some were surprised at the poor efficieny of the intercooler setups they were using. I should have asked at the end of the other post, do you think the high ambient/track temps were a contributing factor?