ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 Cup - Custom GPS Install

Clio 182 Sport Cup
Hi All

I got my Clio 182 Cup a little while ago, fantastic to drive! I can live with the interior being a little dated because it’s soooo much fun but it was missing a couple of conveniences like GPS and bluetooth, so I thought I'd have a go adding them. I didn't have much success finding any details about semi-permanent GPS installation so I thought I'd share what I did in case others are interested. Sorry for the dodgy pics, it’s not the easiest area to photograph.

First step was to find a GPS, with bluetooth, a suitable mounting system and that turned on and off with the ignition. I settled on the ‘TomTom Go-Live 2050’. It has a nice size 'glass' touch screen but isn't excessively large. It turns on and off with ignition, automatically switches day to night colours, uses a magnetic mount (so I can put it in the glove box if I leave the car somewhere, or take the GPS to my computer to do updates), provides good Bluetooth hands-free for my phone, traffic updates, speed camera warnings, speed limit alerts … and reads SMSs aloud.

I decided to take advantage of the otherwise useless storage recess on the top-centre of the dash. It's easy to see from the drivers position and doesn't block your view. It’s also the general location that newer Clios seem to position the units. Additionally, I didn't want to modify the actual car and I found if you lift out the rubber mat in the storage recess you find a couple of locating holes already exist. I used one hole to run the wire down for power and the other to secure the mount.

The mount is pretty simple ... just takes a bit of work to get it to fit and look ok. Mine could have done with a little more finishing but time got the better of me.

I laminated some scrap pieces of MDF together with epoxy to make a block, which I shaped using a router and orbital sander. I traced the GPS onto the front of the block and recessed the GPS half into the block to make it look fitted and professional ... then I recessed a cavity to install the magnetic mount flush (I had to sort of dissect the OEM mount to make it fit). I then sealed the whole lot in fibreglass epoxy resin and covered in a light coating of car bog (easier to get a nice finish).

Then, to make it fit in the car I laid tinfoil (from the kitchen) over the dash and in the recess, put a fresh layer of bog on the bottom surfaces of the mounting block and pressed it into position and waited for it to go off. Then remove the mounting block, sand and paint matt black, install wire (connect to 12vDC) and re-fit.

Let me know what you think.

2012-02-22_19-26-11_62.gif

2012-02-22_19-25-44_64.gif

2012-02-22_19-26-17_754.gif

IMAG0463.gif

IMAG0479.gif

2012-02-24_06-17-15_878.gif

2012-02-24_06-17-38_229.gif

IMAG0492.gif

IMAG0480.gif

IMAG0481.gif

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Looks pretty good, a liitle rough around the edges but i am sure that can be sorted out.

BTW your car isn't a cup.

Clio 182 Sport Cup
Looks pretty good, a liitle rough around the edges but i am sure that can be sorted out.

Hi there, I'm in Australia ... the spec was a little different here, they came with climate control and some other bits if that's what lead to your comment. :)

Clio 182 Sport Cup

And definitely could be a little better finished ... but just ran out of time I could spend on it. :)

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean

How can you tell from those pictures?

Thats pretty awesome. At first I thought you were going to fully install it into that enclosure but being able to remove it has its perks!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

i would have thought alcantara seats, soft touch dashboard and non poverty spec steeringwheel with cruise. but as said above other countries got different spec cars, i beleive it was AUS that 172's came with 15" wheels?

Clio 182 Sport Cup

Thats pretty awesome. At first I thought you were going to fully install it into that enclosure but being able to remove it has its perks!

Do the Cups in England have leather interior ... that's the only thing I could think may have lead to that comment. In Aus I believe the cups were basically a 182 with the cup suspension pack.

I was originally going to full install it ... but it really is good to be able to remove it for updates ... but also just to be able to pull it out and hold it in your hand when entering an address etc.

Thanks for the comment! :)

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Didn't spot the seats. Never knew they changed the dashboard. I thought 182 Cups came with cruise?
Like you and OP has said, different countries got different things!

Clio 182 Sport Cup
They are really not that hard ... no harm in giving it a go and as stated the more time you can spend the better finished it will be.

Actually, in hindsight I'd consider getting a horizontal (landscape) phone holder / charger and using it as a phone holder instead of a GPS holder. The main disadvantage is the GPS function would be there but not quite as good and the screen wouldn't be quite as large. The advantage would be that you don't have to buy a GPS, your phone stays charged, you could integrate your MP3 music somehow and best of all ... you could install the Renault Sport App! :)

Clio 182 Sport Cup
Whoops ... just realised I put this in media instead of the 'projects' folder :( ... oh well, maybe a moderator can move it. Sorry.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Do the Cups in England have leather interior ... that's the only thing I could think may have lead to that comment. In Aus I believe the cups were basically a 182 with the cup suspension pack.

The reason I said its not a cup is because it is silver, 182 cups are either racing blue or inferno but as said you are in australia so the specs could be a touch different.

Clio 182 Sport Cup
The reason I said its not a cup is because it is silver, 182 cups are either racing blue or inferno but as said you are in australia so the specs could be a touch different.

Of course ... the colour. Yes, there is more variety here ... I think our cup is a reasonable package. The biggest loss here was that we didn't get the V6 version!

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Looks good, though would it not have been better angled slightly more towards the driver?

Clio 182 Sport Cup
Looks good, though would it not have been better angled slightly more towards the driver?

Thanks for the comment. I had a lot of trouble deciding on that initially but I settled on keeping it straight as that is what seems more common in the factory fitted solutions. In the end the screen is clear and easy to see and there is no viewing angle issue, nor does it catch / reflect the sunlight adversely. Actually, I find it easier to glance at that screen than down at the dash instruments.