ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182
Gents, so its been a busy year so far, I joined the Tricolore Trophy and most of the time has been spent getting the car up to race specification, so here's how I got on.
Firstly I needed to get some MSA racing basics, firstly I acted on advice on this thread and got a harness bar installed and a new in-date six point harness
20170525_202246.jpg

Clio 182
Next up fire safety, went for a system that didnt break the bank at £120
20170525_202101.jpg

Installed the pull-cord in the empty from light area as it seemed a neat solution

20170629_171212.jpg

The engine bay nozzle in the bottom left hand side of the picture below, pointing at the fuel rail, the second as advised in the instructions pointing at my legs in the cabin
20170629_171545.jpg

Clio 182
Also electric cut off, went for the cheap option of a pull cord. Looks like I got my external pull cords mixed up on the last post, so here's the fire extinguisher external pull too
20170629_171258.jpg
20170629_171408.jpg

Clio 182
I looked at ventilation as I didnt want the windows open, most have the roof vents in to the cabin, but they were £200 and I didnt want to increase the frontal area. So I ran two pipes from the front through the engine bay and mounted them in the dash pointed at me, cost £35.
20170525_202143.jpg
20170629_171518.jpg

Clio 182
So I had my first race at Oulton, great circuit, suffered from a mis-fire and some other engine issues over the weekend but still had a great time. Took the car down to RS Tuning in Leeds who fixed all engine issues and mapped the engine, here's the before and after figures
FW HP Overlay.jpg
HP Overlay.jpg

Clio 182
At Oulton we weighed the car, it was 130kg over some of the other Clio's there, so major weight loss was required.

Firstly cut out the lights and painted the exterior, saves just under 2kg and of course is free
20170629_171222.jpg

20170530_172617.jpg

Clio 182
Also took off all of the sound deadening panels from in the cabin and the bulkhead. saved 10kg and cost £11 for a heat gun, also not as difficult as I was expecting
20170601_170439.jpg

20170629_171307.jpg

Clio 182
Also the carbon canister went, 750g for free. I've got poly windows on order (£600) and the £150 quid PMS air con delete kit, not arrived yet in time for the rockingham race but hopefully will have them on for Donny

Clio 182
So, after my first race at oulton there were a number of issues to fix
Engine issues - see above
The bolts were loose on where the suspension meets the hub meaning the wheel was loose, cant believe I didnt notice and could easily have caused an accident.
The top engine mount had started to disintegrate
THe front brakes were shot, down to the metal and the disks ruined

For the engine mount, the cheapest solution seemed to be, buy a regular mount (£18) and install additional rubber to stiffen it up (£25). A race engine mount cost £200, so was no brainer.
20170629_171545.jpg

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Glad to see your enjoying it :smile: what class are you running in Tricolore Trophy? All being well I should make Thruxton and Mallory at the end of the season (waiting on new cage to be fitted at the moment, and the never ending bills on my daily driver, but that's a whole other story lol)

Ads

Clio 182
Running on Prod Plus, good luck with your (first?) races, doubt I'll be making those, keeping within day travel distance from Leeds this year. Once I get a camper, I hope to do all next years races. I know your pain with the daily, expecting a 1k bill this week along with 300 quid road tax

Clio 182
So my next race was Rockingham, was really looking forward to it given all the improvements made to the car, however it was quite a disaster. On the morning of travelling down, the car developed a misfire (again!!) when loading. We couldnt solve before qualifying and was so bad qualified last, struggled with diagnosing the issue and missed the first race. Thanks to the generosity of the other racer I borrowed some HT leads and found #4 had failed. Got out for the 2nd race which was entertaining coming from the back and getting some passes in but lack of track time meant I didnt have any track references so was a big learning curve for the track. Another race hampered by misfires meaning I didnt get involved with other clios.

Clio 182
With the track time I've had in the car, I've found it to understeer more than I like, it's safe but I feel there's time to be had with the rear end being looser, I started in Karting so am comfortable with the rear end moving around a little. From what I've read on these forums a lot of people suggest that a rear ARB will help with this, so some more money spent and an evening of fitting and here it is.
rsz_20170809_195827.jpg
rsz_20170809_195833.jpg

Clio 182
Also ahead of Donny I finally had time to fit my plexi windows, I found that these saved between 1.5 and 2k per window between rear and door windows. For the doors, all electric parts, wiring and some metal cut offs meant I saved over 5kg per door.
rsz_20170806_115807.jpg
rsz_20170806_135518.jpg
rsz_20170806_135529.jpg
rsz_20170809_195807.jpg
rsz_20170809_195811.jpg

Clio 182
Finally for the next upgrade for Donny, a aircon delete kit, hopefully this and the plexi windows and various bits of metal I've cut off the car will take the car under the 900kg mark which should improve pace massively over the first race (975kg) and second race (933kg). About £150 quid and over 10kg saving, well worth it, second pic is all the bits that are taken off the car as a result.
rsz_20170809_195738.jpg
rsz_20170809_195750.jpg

Last edited:

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Hi, car looks great! Have you considered EPAS to bin the pump?

Any tips or more pics on how you fitted the front poly windows please?

Clio 182
Thanks, yes EPAS on the list but gut feel says it's not a massive savings to not near the top.
Wanted to wait to get this race meeting out of the way before advising on fitting, to make sure mine stayed on!!!! My windows were provided with Sikaflex (I can advise which type if needed).
The front door windows I removed along with all the gubbings for the electrics and put back all the seals around the window. Then I filled the gaps in the seals with Sikaflex (a good amount) so that they would bond to the window. Before putting in the plexi, I lightly sanded the areas that would be bonded (and therefore not show) and put a bead on sikaflex on both sides. I fitted the window and wedged a piece of wood underneath to secure in place while the sikaflex cured. I then added a bead of sikaflex between the lower horizontal seals and the window and that was it, removed the wood after 24hrs and did the next one. I found a hole inside the door just below the underneath of the window, I stuck a bolt through it so if the sikaflex did fail, it would drop a few mm on to the bolt but so far not needed.
The rear 1/4's, got some new stanley blades and sat inside the car and started cutting at the bonding, not easy but certainly not one of the worst jobs I've had to do. Cut the window away from it's bonding (use tape to secure the window if it's just you) and eventually it'll pull away with maybe a little more cutting. Clean off all the previous bonding, sand so there's a good rough surface and add sikaflex. Again I sanded the inside of the window which would meet the sikaflex to ensure a good bond. Secure in place and leave for 24 hours.
Get a box of disposable gloves, sikaflex gets all over and you dont want it on your hands as its hard to get off. Also if you've got to clean off your windows, use really soft clean clothes as I used blue roll (paper) and found it did lightly mark the windows so move to microfibre clothes and it was fine.

Clio 182
Ok, so it's been an eventful 2017, lots done to the car

Oulton Park
Got the car ready for oulton for the race with a track day the day before however it was clear we had issues straight away, had a misfire over 4k revs throughout the trackday and race meeting. Afterwards we found out it was a faulty lamda sensor and really ruined the weekend although it was good to get out on track and be in the race. We had a number of other issues, after the race we found the brakepads were totally worn out, the upper engine mount had fallen apart and one of the front wheels was loose as the bolts for the suspension had worked their way loose, it was amazing I made my way around at all.
JOE_8426asd.jpg

Given all of the above it was clear some serious work was required on the car

Clio 182
20170629_171545.jpg
To fix the top engine mount, rather than pay through the nose for an uprated engine mount, got a standard one from ebay (£17) and a powerflex insert to re-enforce it (~£23), a much cheaper way to achieve the same thing.

Clio 182
So, next up Rockingham we were confident we'd have a much stronger showing here, engine problems sorted, new brakes, all wheels held on tightly and the new engine mount. Unfortunately as we were loading the car on to the trailer to head down to the meeting it developed a misfire which dogged us throughout the meeting. Went out for qualy and it was a waste of time, so slow, couldn't find the problem for race 1 so didnt bother going out. Luckily we found the source of the problem and James Breeze lent us some HT leads, started from the back, fought my way through and finished 4th in class (thanks to retirements).

This is what most of the day looked like
20170701_131902.jpg

Clio 182
20171002_135235.jpg
Every race meeting we've been to, its got more and more likely that we wont make it back because my dad's motor gets more and more ill to the point we only just made it back last time without any electric. So I bought a camper, should tow the trailer no problem and give us somewhere nice we can sit during race meetings. Had to get my garden dug up and a driveway installed so I had somewhere to put it.

Clio 182
Good read this, but so many problems with misfires! Hopefully all good for this year :smile:
I know, there's a lesson here to anyone starting out that we learnt the hard way. You dont have to go all out on a massive build project to begin with, but understand the cars weak points and make sure you replace or at least have spares.

I've got loads of stuff in the shed waiting to go on the car, so there's a lot more to come on this thread.