ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 in new Evo Magazine

Latest evo magazine has pics and details of RHD production Clio 197 in Inferno.

IMHO I think general concencus will say it, looks too high, production 17" wheels look a bit lost, the very grey looking diffuser sits uncomfortably with the colour coding of the whole car.

Without the bling of the big chrome wheels, sparkly flame red paint, and slightly whacky interior of the concept it looks a bit plain.

Im sure it will be lovely in the flesh, just these studio pics dont realy sell the car to me.

Got mine through the door this morning too.

The new RS hasreally grown on me lately, and it comes off well in the review aswell. But it does look abit high at the back. Think the diffuser looks really good aswell! especially with that colour....might just be me though.

Clio 197 doesnt really role off the tongue like the 182 did does it lol.

Also there is a page on the end of the clio V6 in this months evo aswell!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
What i have seen of it in other pictures i still prefer the look of the current 182, i will have to wait and see it in the flesh to properly make my mind up.

134mph top speed lol!

It looks nice and the undertray is a great idea, its 140kg heavier than the 182so the power to weight should be the same or slightly less. Six speed close stacked box should improve acceleration though :)

MINI JCW
brazo said:
134mph top speed lol!

It looks nice and the undertray is a great idea, its 140kg heavier than the 182so the power to weight should be the same or slightly less. Six speed close stacked box should improve acceleration though :)

That will mean the 197 weighs 1230kg and will give it a power to weight ration of 160bhp per tonne, which is 7 less than the current full fat 182. I was reading the other day that Peugeot new hot hatch will have 180bhp the same as the old one. It doesnt make sense, the manufacturers need to increase the power in direct proportion to the increased weight or otherwise these new versions will be down on performance on the old ones

Im sure the 197 will be a better car than the 182 overall, but I bought the 182 as it represented the best performance per £, on this basis I will find it very difficult to change to the 197

Clio 172 mk2
Fletch123 said:
What i have seen of it in other pictures i still prefer the look of the current 182, i will have to wait and see it in the flesh to properly make my mind up.

I still prefer the current models looks....the new Clio seems to look very Peugeot-esque

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
I've read an interview from one of the team designers that the cup version which is due for release in 2007 will be significantly lighter. No exact figures but i'm sure they'll do a good job on the cup. I'm gonna hold onto my 182 for a couple of yrs anyway and then maybe get the cup version of the 197.
John

Clio 172 mk2
Personally I don't know what Renault are up to...it looks like the Clio is going to become very close in the marketplace to the Megane with the size increase (and probably price too).

106 GTi
Order books open end of March, registered Renault Sport forum members are eligable for first orders!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
no, not yet.

i got mine today...tbh i'm very dissapointed.

they seem to have intentionally left out all the good points on the concept - flat bottomed wheel, anthracite alloys, gorgeous colour!

i was going to order one in the summer if all went to plan too...

i'm going to have to wait until i see one in the metal i think, or wait for a revised version a la 'Cup' 'Trophy' etc...

:S

ST
carbon copy said:
i'm tempted Al.

i'd save myself 4k too...

wait till i see an RS-3 yet.

4k....well thats a proper exhaust, suspension and a few other goodies with a bit of change to take the Mrs on holiday with or something...i would! :D

Elise/VX220/R26
I wish renault would make cars with a proper ride height, same problem on the megane its like a 4x4 ride height as standard. They do it so they can sell the same chassis setup to all the different countries really they should just sell the higher setups to the countrys that need it

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
i NEED an evo sticker.

had one in my old Dyanamique, but it went with the car. :(

...anyone got any from Autosport for sale??

Chris

clio 200 F4Rt
i am still undecided about the 197. i like some parts of it, dislike others.

i also find it hard to tell the extra body width etc, as i have never seen a clio 3, sat next to a RS3.

i wonder if the 6 speed box will fit a 182??

The engine sounds pretty interesting tho -- also Megane subframes, soooo I wonder if there is the possbility of a 225 version?!

Not sure - tempted by improved build quality - and perhaps quiet relays on the wipers (ggrrrrrr) -- or I might wait for the Audi Shooting Brake. Looks so fit

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
MarkCup said:
b******s...every time lately...it'll be in the shops before I see mine turn up :(

Miracle! Mine turned up 10 mins after I'd posted this.

Interesting read on the 197 - it seems they've really worked hard to engineer something that handles really well, with 215 tyres, and some RS only major suspension components.

But only an extra 14bhp...to shift (in my case anyway) an extra 250kgs?

Gonna be a bit lethargic...isn't it?

106 GTi
That's the worry, is the extra beef and size going to outweigh the small power increase, I expect it will.

106 GTi
carbon copy said:
they seem to have intentionally left out all the good points on the concept - flat bottomed wheel, anthracite alloys, gorgeous colour!

Wheels will be a cup pack I reckon.

Think the concept paint was never going to happen according to some of the guys on here in the know as it was so damn expensive, that would have been enough to make me buy one!