ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 or Abarth 500

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Greetings all!

I’m wanting a cheap bit of fun for a bit (daily is a boring diesel barge) I’m properly torn between an Abarth 500 and a 197. I will do the odd track day in it but mainly just a bit of fun to use when I haven’t got to take lots of stuff to work and don’t need the estate car.
I’m genuinely concerned about the lack of useable power on a 197 and the terrifying repair bills that come with them for what is essentially a really good handling car that offers Luke warm performance at best. But on track they are SUPERB!!

The Abarths; I’ve been in a few recently and with circa 200bhp that are an absolute riot to drive. Apart from driveshafts (400 quid per side!) they don’t really go wrong either. Handling is average at best. Steering feel is nil.

Any thoughts?!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
197 is only fun if you're absolutely spanking it. Something with a turbo can be just as much fun at lower speeds imo if it's mapped right. Bit of lag and wheel spin is fun.

Driving it normally is absolutely horrible. Daily driving my one bored me to tears.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
We had an abarth (non ss) from new in 2011 was a great little fun car. The ride was a little choppy and the hazard lights liked to come on with even the slightest hint of heavy braking.

In the three years we had put the red letter did wear too much for my liking. Nothing really went wrong with it while we had it (only windscreen wash nozzle).

We stuck a tuning box on ours and it really did make it shift.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I drove an abarth years ago and wanted to hate it, I didn't. Was impressed.

Clio 197 is a car I'd want to try but think I would get bored. So let's go with a Corsa vxr. Or maybe the abarth lol.

Mégane 225/26?

Clio 197
Abarth or something else 100%. Running costs for a 197 are absolutely ridiculous for what it is, both in terms of repairs/parts and fuel economy. There's a reason why they're so cheap to buy.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Get an Abarth from Ellani, I follow them on FB.. someone on here linked them, it may even have been you..

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I would like to try an Abarth. Owners seem to rave about them. The reported lack of steering feel would be a bit of a concern.

I've been driving a 197 for the last couple of weeks again and really don't get why people moan about them to be honest. I got 35mpg out of the last tank, which I think is more than acceptable for a 1200kg car with getting on for 200bhp and silly short gearing. Anyone who says they don't feel quick enough just can't drive ;)

197s are a bit cheaper than Abarths so you can spend the money you save on track days.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Get an Abarth from Ellani, I follow them on FB.. someone on here linked them, it may even have been you..
I do work for them, I bought a black 180 SS for them on Thursday which spurred my thoughts in to getting one.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
we
I drove an abarth years ago and wanted to hate it, I didn't. Was impressed.

Clio 197 is a car I'd want to try but think I would get bored. So let's go with a Corsa vxr. Or maybe the abarth lol.

Mégane 225/26?
Thinking about this all day, and im done with Renault’s I think mate. To maintain them properly is M3 costs. The hubs, the belts, the rot on the older ones, it’s just mental.

Abarth's with after market exhausts sound bloody great!!
But as much as they look funky, I can't take them seriously ?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Abarth's with after market exhausts sound bloody great!!
But as much as they look funky, I can't take them seriously ?

That seems to be what many owners love so much about them. They are ultimately flawed, but that's part of the charm.

Clio 172, Abarth 500
I have a 13 plate 135bhp standard Abarth that I drive daily - use to drive my 172 but got a bit much when i changed the suspension - made it hard to drive etc.

The Abarth is cracking! i love it, good mpg, fun when you put your foot down and a great B road blaster. I'm quite a big guy 5' 11" and 16 stone (size 11 feet) and i find the abarth comfortable enough to drive.

If you have questions just ask. I love mine and also generates confessions with fellow petrol heads!

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
My motherinlaw has an Abarth and its absolute toilet. Crap ride, poor steering, awful handling, poor seats, gutless engine and crap build quality.
Id go as far as saying its one of the worst newer cars ive driven.
Style over substance, as without doubt its a great looker in the pearl white with red decals. However, i wouldn't want one if you paid me.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
If you like the way the Abarth drives then go for that, it depends what you mean by fun. If it's out and out handling then 197, if you want something that makes a bit of noise, has some torque around town and don't care about absolute handling then maybe the Abarth would be a better choice.

Clio 172, Abarth 500
If you like the way the Abarth drives then go for that, it depends what you mean by fun. If it's out and out handling then 197, if you want something that makes a bit of noise, has some torque around town and don't care about absolute handling then maybe the Abarth would be a better choice.

Basically this, it's no where near as good as a 197 in terms of performance, but they look nice (imo) and handle good for the b roads!