ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio dci65 van to 172 replica

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
not a great deal of tuning potential for derv tbh and will be very costly when you have to start looking at uprated mech fuel pumps etc . no ones really took a 172 engine all that far apart from the 500bhp one, all the others are the 200-300 ktec jobbies

ValverInBits
common, theres a reason for that. Scoffs 500bhp F4R runs a VAG gearbox to cope with the power. If you want silly power then you need standard components that can handle the torq, not a clio JC5 that you will drain swarf out of in the Gbox oil.

IMO, there are 2 good options:
1) standard 172. Don't fcuk about with it. Drop in a 172 and speak to the MK1 F4R boys about how to get it running. Easy, but I bet it's a touch harder than you expect
2) Interesting option - keep it renault to keep custom costs down - look into DCi 100 or better still the diesels from the bigger cars (laguna, traffic van). The difficulty will be getting the 6 speed boxes between the chassis legs. Having said that, if you can re-direct the N/S chassis leg, a meg225 will fit.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
common, theres a reason for that. Scoffs 500bhp F4R runs a VAG gearbox to cope with the power. If you want silly power then you need standard components that can handle the torq, not a clio JC5 that you will drain swarf out of in the Gbox oil.

1) standard 172. Don't fcuk about with it. Drop in a 172 and speak to the MK1 F4R boys about how to get it running. Easy, but I bet it's a touch harder than you expect
2) Interesting option - keep it renault to keep custom costs down - look into DCi 100 or better still the diesels from the bigger cars (laguna, traffic van). The difficulty will be getting the 6 speed boxes between the chassis legs. Having said that, if you can re-direct the N/S chassis leg, a meg225 will fit.

Going into that a bit deeper, they did do a Laguna 1.9 dci 5 speed. Admitedly it was a crap 100hp jobbie, but surely fit that gearbox to the 120 lump and hey presto a rocketship clio derv??

ValverInBits
they do a 1.9 115bhp 6 speed van. Maybe that, with dan's mentioned 5sp laguna box.... plus remap, bigger FMIC

Astra GSI, 172, Golf

yeah was aware of teh problems with the box was going to use the derv one as it has alonger ratio but im still sure the torque will kill it in no time . how does the vag box fit ? i was going to pm him a bit closer to the time and see how he managed to get it all fitted etc .
did look at the meg 225 engine but there still fetching quite a bit of money and to say i wont be using a fair bit of it seems a waste altho the block and gbox itself may be of some use just depends how strong it is .

another good idea dan only thing is them engines are fetching like £1200 which i could have a 172 fully fitted easily for that much . so doesnt make a great deal of sense to go that route , plus there isnt a massive amount of scope for tuning etc and the mech fuel pump fails quite easily if its runnig to much pressure

ValverInBits
don't buy a whole megane! The engines do come up from time to time. "Matt Black" had a setup going for sensible money some time ago, probably gone now.

The reason for the VAG box is purely because it's better built and will hold more torque. The added bonus is a much nicer gear shift (cable mech). There are also straight cut or nearly straight cut gear sets available for the vag boxes that will hold a LOT of torque.
Fitting the VAG box will increase cost substantially. Custom machined adaptor plate, hours working out, some custom clutch components from helix etc etc.

Also, if someone is charging £1200 for a van engine, they need to jog on. Surely that 1.9 Dci van engine is common as muck and can be found cheap, theres probably 1 written off everyday on the M1 alone. Bare in mind its the same engine in the Vauxhall and nissan vans.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
they do a 1.9 115bhp 6 speed van. Maybe that, with dan's mentioned 5sp laguna box.... plus remap, bigger FMIC
it should be at 115 if not more bhp at the min anyways with the 1.5 engine. so wouldnt make much sense and would be heavier than the 1.5engine

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
don't buy a whole megane! The engines do come up from time to time. "Matt Black" had a setup going for sensible money some time ago, probably gone now.

The reason for the VAG box is purely because it's better built and will hold more torque. There are also straight cut or nearly straight cut gear sets available for the vag boxes that will hold a LOT of torque.
Fitting the VAG box will increase cost substantially. Custom machined adaptor plate, hours working out, some custom clutch components from helix etc etc.
Also, if someone is charging £1200 for a van engine, they need to jog on. Surely that 1.9 Dci van engine is common as muck and can be found cheap, theres probably 1 written off everyday on the M1 alone. Bare in mind its the same engine in the Vauxhall and nissan vans.

seriously dude look on ebay the reno dci engines are fetching a premium on there . my engine is worth about 6-700 as a block .
i dont mean the full meggane i just mean the engine but i wouldnt be using the turbo , injectors , mani and most of the things like that so wouldnt be worth doing unless i can get a pretty much bare block but withe the loom and ecu

ValverInBits
hmm, well if it's all gonna be a bit crazy monies just stick to a 172 block and leave it there. F4R tuning isnt really cost effective imo

edit...having said that - if you've got a DCi 100 ready to go that's a good option. nippy as fook and mega mpg. Just terrible if you ever wanted to track it.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
if i was to put a 172 in it wouldnt be NA for long anyways well hope fully , which would make use of the longer ratio box of the derv . will see what happens anyways already got a standard ecu for the 172 . just need a full loom and then start buyin engine parts etc

so if anyone has a full loom available let me know

LY R26
Talking about money super/turbo charging a f4r would be more costly than a vag 1.8 turbo, and it's a much stronger engine than a f4r

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
in the long run it would be more expensive so a sport engine makes more sense as i can get it in and built sooner. then start collecting the bits needing to charge it .

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
havnt had alot of time recently to do much on this but here are a few more pics of were the car stands now .
also out of work again so hope this project doesnt come to a stop.

Photo0224.jpg

Photo0225.jpg

finally got all the dash and loom out then gave it a quick clean , now will be hoovered out then panel wiped ready for painting. going to give white a blast and see what it comes out like.
Photo0232.jpg

the loom which was right ball ache to remove ! lol
Photo0228.jpg

also bought a ecu + decoder of some one on here .got a full loom which i need to send a payment for , just need to sell some of the dci bits of now to raise some more funds to buy the engine.
was thinking about buying the meg f7r engine and then puttin the 2.0 vvt head on as it may work out a bit cheaper that way but il see what happens

ValverInBits
Talking about money super/turbo charging a f4r would be more costly than a vag 1.8 turbo, and it's a much stronger engine than a f4r

in the long run it would be more expensive so a sport engine makes more sense as i can get it in and built sooner. then start collecting the bits needing to charge it .
I think thats right. Think of an idea that you can get done quickly and then develop if you feel the need.

Clio 182 Cup FF
nice mate :). hope you dont have to stop the project as looks good.
i see why u put off doing the dash, looking at the pics that is a major job! lol

R26
takin alot of time but its all done now , just got the last of the tar s**t of the roof and gonna mask it up later on ready for paint.

how hard is it to remove the tar on the roof? and then put the headliner back on? how much does it weigh?

cars looking good, fair play to you for doing a van conversion lol :approve:

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
how hard is it to remove the tar on the roof? and then put the headliner back on? how much does it weigh?

cars looking good, fair play to you for doing a van conversion lol :approve:
ahh man its a right b**ch, the head lining takes about 5 mins better to do it with 2 people tho .
as for the sound deadening its a bit of a pain i used a heat gun and scraper. then s**t loads of thinners and raggs.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
a little update, finally got most of it finished and a s**t load of silicons in the paint . god knows were they all came from as it was panel wiped 4 times .. could of been the diesel tank but its mostly sorted now . just got roof to finish as i ran out of paint and panel windows to re do but thats a easy job.
Photo0240.jpg

Photo0239.jpg

Photo0238.jpg

Photo0237.jpg

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
just some pics of it unmasked , looks loads better and i think the white against the blue really goes well. i just need to find a full loom cheap then i can get some of the interior back in and built up.

Photo0250.jpg

Photo0248.jpg

Photo0251.jpg

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
still waiting to find a wiring loom for the right price so in the meantime i stuck the dash and a few other bits in to see what it would look like built up. gotta say i love it !
bought a RMD steering wheel , and 172 mani think i can pair the mani and rear section up fairly easy just need to work out exact size and weld up a decat.

Photo0257.gif

Photo0258.jpg

Photo0259.jpg

Photo0260.jpg

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
just a quick update finally got a full loom sorted out and some clocks so the interior can be built up properly now. just need to start get an engine sorted and some mounts..

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
I'm sure i saw this a few years ago in mansfield somewhere?

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
i now have the full loom got most of the inside fitted just need to get a part ( goes near the drivers door called a calculater or something.. anyone know what this is for ? ) .
got all coolant hoses etc and mid section of the exhaust, just hope my back box fits upto it now lol and need to either buy a decat or make one. will post some pics up when there is something worth looking at

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
cheers mate
youu stripping a 172 arent you ? have you got the little calculater box thats inside the dash on the drivers side ? its removable once the dash top is of and if so howmuch ?

330i. E30 Touring.
Yeah, I have no idea what part you're on about, but I will have it..

PM me where it is and we'll discuss.. :)

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
well i have bought an engine that will be with me 2moz im going to test fit it to see what it runs like and to see if there is any niggles etc then it will be removed and stripped down cleaned up and painted few new bits here and there then rebuilt wit arp's were needed etc .

gonna try getting the rest of the dci loom out tonite and make a start on taking the engine out. then got the bay to prep and paint the same blue as the exterior as its a darker ( like monaco ) blue from its original colour

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
just a few pics to update

after disconnecting most of the wiring got one wire left to chase under the car and unplug then that can totally come out
Photo0265.jpg

and heres my new engine,
Photo0268.jpg

Photo0267.jpg

going to give it a good clean up today whip the inlets and a few other bits of . then set at them with sanding paper, dremel and a machine polisher to get em nice and shiny

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
made a start on the inlets.... this is gonna be a loooong drawn out process :(
Photo0269.jpg

splashed a bit of paint on the engine bay... lookin alot better now its a matching colour
Photo0278.jpg

Photo0277.jpg

Photo0276.jpg

loom should be in for 2moz aslong as the weather isnt to bad

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
little update
Photo0280.jpg

Did think about gettin an engine crane but me and my mate lifted the engine in to save a few quid . gotta lift it back out now tho to attach gbox :( then relift it back in
Photo0283.jpg

Photo0284.jpg

Photo0285.jpg

also sein as when i requested al the engine mounts i only got the one that goes over the cambelt and teh twisted leg one, im now going to have to source the one that attach's to the chassis .
also the fpr is missing from the engine but cant grumle at the cost of it i suppose.
so far for the conversion itself i have spent
£120 - loom, clocks, fuel pump, mid section, hoses, engine mounts
£250- engine, all ancillaries etc
£30- manifold

so i think all in all im doing well cost wise

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
haha been spendin too much time on money and bikes... got a sweet crf450r on its way tho !

not really touched it for months, got the engine mount i needed bought but no fitted yet, driveshafts fitted. made a start on all the relays and fuses etc.. il probs make a proper start when the weather is better