ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio dci65 van to 172 replica

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
hi this is my van it started out as standard van in a dark blue (similar to monaco blue )

dont have any before pics :(
then it had a full 172 bodykit fitted and painted in think its artic blue ?? some one may recognise the colour .
then it went to derv doctor for a while to be mapped and have a few things sorted. came back at 106bhp

then a mate bought it and didnt look after it very well which lead to the turbo blowing and few other engine problems which is when i bought it for £1000 :D .

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
the first thing i did was to replace the blue smoothed door cards and momo jet steering wheel .

cliointerior.jpg

for 172 alcantara door cards and 172 steering wheel :D

061.jpg

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
then the turbo was removed and a newer one that was in ''mint '' condition was bought from ebay and fitted but the car still smoked very heavily ! so i removed the turbo again and stripped the top end
Then the engine had a full rebuild anything that was worn was replaced , did have pics but lost them due to having a s**t phone ! but the inlet went from being 1'' in diameter to barley even able to put my finger in due to all the sludge from the turbo and other s**t . so that was all chemically cleaned , then rebuilt with new head gasket , bolts , seals , cambelt + tensioners etc .
but the car still smoked its cvnt of so after all that work it turned out that i had bought another blown turbo :mad:
but by the time i had saved up enough to rebuild the engine and realise the turbo i had bought was useless the sellers warranty had ran out and he didnt want to know about it !

so i had to save up yet again and buy this a new dci 80 turbo :D

lauraspics005.jpg

lauraspics006.jpg
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k458/mx1_champ/my clio/lauraspics005.jpg

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
Not seen you around Chesterfield before I dont think! Will look out for u :)
i havnt passed my test yet :( been in and out of work for the past year so havnt had chance to get it sorted , what colours your 182 i will of probs seen you around

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
then i decided i wanted a bit more stopping power and making it look that bit closer to a real 172 so i bought full 172 suspension setup wishbones hubs shafts brakes etc and got them all fitted up , dont have any pics of fitting didnt think about making a project thread lol .
heres a pic of them before

0192.jpg

then with bigger brakes fitted , i also changed the wheels to 15's as they should liven up the handling and acceleration a bit more .

cliowheels026.jpg

i think it looks alot better with the 15's on personally , any opinions ???

Last edited:
  Astra GSI, 172, Golf
then painted diamonds yellow ( front bumper is in process on being painted )

cliowheels027.jpg

painted dials silver same as 172 and steering wheel badge yellow , and painted dash strips matt silver ( were blue before )

merrr012.jpg

then painted renault logo yellow and the surround blue ( was grey before )

yellowbadges292.jpg

Clio 182
ermm... not for a while. There's another inferno 182 in chesterfield, but don't think they're on here!! Mainly in town centre, and around there :)

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
me and a mate made a rear strut brace and that was painted blue with renault sport stickers , this has since been repainted just plain blue . and have bought new components and tweeters for it .

cliobootbuild.jpg

i am now stuck for money yet again as work has let me down but will be updated as i do little bits here and there , im hopefully going to get a sport engine sorted and fitted with a few mods once i have enough money and use the money from the dci engine to pay for mods to the 172 lump
any one got any idea's on what could be done next or changed
would like to change the wheels to team dynamics pro race 1.2's in 15's but money is short atm .

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
ermm... not for a while. There's another inferno 182 in chesterfield, but don't think they're on here!! Mainly in town centre, and around there :)

it was quite a few months ago i saw it , didnt see the driver the one in chesterfield could be dave88 i think he goes down there every so often

R27, Deep Black
This is quite interesting! Fun too! Can't remember if i have seen a 172 van rep?

Get the gear knob changed asap!

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
This is quite interesting! Fun too! Can't remember if i have seen a 172 van rep?

Get the gear knob changed asap!

there is a nice white one thats just been magaine featured french car i think . yeah i was after a 172 one but the one at the breakers yard was worn and the leather had been picked of so i left it , keeping a eye out for one tho

Megane Trophy, Golf
Hi mate, I'll keep an eye out for ya! It will be a fooker to insure for your first car if you drop a 172 lump in, how old are you? :)

W

Willy

sport badge needs to be taken off ;) and the 2.0 badges...

rest looks smart though

Last edited by a moderator:
  R27, Deep Black
there is a nice white one thats just been magaine featured french car i think . yeah i was after a 172 one but the one at the breakers yard was worn and the leather had been picked of so i left it , keeping a eye out for one tho

Yeah iv just remembered iv seen that white one its nice!

But anyways, nice motor! If you get the engine that will be a proper machine that will turn heads!

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
Yeah iv just remembered iv seen that white one its nice!

But anyways, nice motor! If you get the engine that will be a proper machine that will turn heads!

yeah i could do it now if i sold the dci engine that would pay for everything i need to put a 172 in as the dci engines go for quite a bit more but with me not having a job at the min i dont wanna get halfway through and run outta money , id rather buy the engine and get headwork done on it and do the belts then fit it than have to start taking it to bits again when i get more money etc .

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
after seing daniels thread about not to much happeningin projects section it made me think about all the idea's i had for my clio when i first got it and howmuch they have dropped of and bein forgetton about .. mainly due to money issue's etc .

was thinking about taking all the audio out of the boot etc and going for a stripped out look. mouting the battery in the boot ( already bought everything bar a battery holder to do this with .. and using the money from work and audio stuff to buy a 172 engine.
what do you think ? strip or leave as is ?

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
bit of an update but not much . got all the rear end stripped out including wiring loom etc . already got the seats and carpet out of the front just got the dash to do this weekend and start removing all the sound deadening :dapprove:.. how fun whats the best way for this ? heat gun and scraper ? thinners ?
all the back end is almost totally prepped for paint just need to prime a few areas etc . and have wired the battery into the boot just need a cage to secure it
i have decided im going to paint the all the inside white as it will go well against the blue . maby do the wheels white to ? but open to ideas's
when it comes to rebuild time im going to put the full dash back in and alcantara door cards , il leave the speakers in for the time being to as when i pass it will be a daily driver so would still like some comforts etc .
ben10 of here is buying the steering wheel.. i think so will either be replacing it with a momo jet one in black or possibly a cup racer wheel if i can get one .

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
got most of the sound deadening out now came out quite easy with a heat gun and scraper . i do have some pics but i cant load them at the min . should be on tommorow hopefully .
just got the dash left to remove and get some more bits primed up

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
nothing amazing to look at but just a few pics of were the car is at the min.

also bought a sport ecu of a member on here , on the lookout for a full loom pref from a cup .

got the subs and all that lot removed

Photo0170.jpg

them removed the rear cards
Photo0172.jpg

roof lining of... not looking forward to removing the sticky sound deadening from the roof
Photo0179.jpg

then removed the seats and front carpets.. found a few quid to bonus !!
Photo0177.jpg

made a start on the sound deadening on the front all the rear has been removed already .
Photo0188.jpg

ans thats were it stands so far going to get some more done this weekend and hopefully get all the dash out to as i have been putting it of due to the heat .
also not sure what colour to paint the inside either blue ( to match oputside ) or white any thoughts ?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'd have kept tha audio gear!

But then a van makes sense as a track car, stiffer apparently!

Loving the work so far dude! :D

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
im keeping the audio up front as it will be an everyday car for now but with a fast road approach , i have a single sub/amp that il have to fit in the rear just to help drown a bit of the road noise out .
undecided on whether to remove that rear loading tray , wieghs next to nothing and adds a bit of character to it . and thanks dude

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
In theory can you chop the rear windows to accept glass?

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
yeah mate its the exact same shell as a clio sport or any non sunroof clio . if you remove the rear tray seats can be fitted . and the metal windiws are only silicon sealed in place so could be removed very easily and proper windows fitted

145db Euro'd clio
leave the metal windows. will be different and will turn heads.its all about being different. dont follow suit. persoanlly would drop a dci 100 lump, bigger turbo and intercooler etc remapped. could easily push 200 horses. would surprise a few people thats for sure!

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
i wish i could get 200 from it , the windows are staying put also .
as for the engine it already has the dci 100 turbo , fmic to be fitted and had a remap but its just a dci van i want it to be different and have apsort engine fitted

ValverInBits
what about one of the larger diesels?? What gearboxes do they fit and will they get between the chassis legs? Theres loads of diesels from the larger vans etc...