ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio GT 1.6 (128 Bhp)

ST
My GT cost 14,000 , By the way to an earlier comment.... the GT comes as a 1.6 litre petrol or a 1.5 litre diesel - the tom tom is a optional extra which is £450 ... over priced if you ask me

My mum bought it, which many people on here continue to take the piss out of. Cost her £12,500. Got the showroom model, only extra was the Malta Blue paint.

So would i.....but then i look at the rear end, and then i get inside it. 5 gears, completely s**tty interior all put me off. I plan on putting my GT on coilovers at some point so that will sort th god awful handling the standard Gt has. Awsomely cool car tho id love one...... apart from that rear end and interior......

Tell me about it.it is god damm cool though.

If your interested we paid £11,500. Standard car with Malta Blue Paintwork.

My word they're expensive..i paid £11,800 for my 182 brand new back in 2005, then £14,250 for my R27 in 07, granted i got 3k discount on my R27...makes the GT look rather expensive!!

And Jason, as for your mum buying you the car, fair play, my first dynamique was bought for me brand spankers too..not shame in it at all.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Aye i know i shouldnt! But I'm made to feel like a right cheap cnut for it!

As for the expense, go spec up a Vauxhall Corsa SRI, or Fiesta Zetec S with the same options my car has. Infact I will...

Vauxhall Corsa 1.6 turbo SRI (150ps)
Air con, Adaptive front headlights, Metallic paint, Auto Wipers.
£17,075.

Ford Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 (120ps)
Air con, Metallic paint, Auto Wipers and Lights
£15,670

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Citreon C2 1.6 (120ps)
VTS trim level
£14,115

Fiat Grande Punto 1.6 Sporting
Rear tints, Metallic paint etc.
£15,220.

In the interest of fairness, Specced up on the Renault site...
Renault Clio GT 1.6 (128ps)
Same spec as my car
£14,380.

I got £2k off ;)

the gt is a smart car its nice to see them getting some praise dci version gets my vote not in blue its been done to death ;)

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Well there is that mate. I was soo tempted to get a LY Twingo rs. However they are too small for my liking. I'm 6ft4 and not only is it a tad bit too cramped but I'd look a fool i tell you!

You cant buy a LY Twingo ;)

Not a 320d
My word they're expensive..i paid £11,800 for my 182 brand new back in 2005, then £14,250 for my R27 in 07, granted i got 3k discount on my R27...makes the GT look rather expensive!!

And Jason, as for your mum buying you the car, fair play, my first dynamique was bought for me brand spankers too..not shame in it at all.

Tell me about it, but as Jase has said below, go price up similar cars. Ive looked at similar cars in its price range and category so to speak and theres not a single car id buy bar the clio GT, this will be my 3rd clio unfortunately.

Aye i know i shouldnt! But I'm made to feel like a right cheap cnut for it!

As for the expense, go spec up a Vauxhall Corsa SRI, or Fiesta Zetec S with the same options my car has. Infact I will...

Vauxhall Corsa 1.6 turbo SRI (150ps)
Air con, Adaptive front headlights, Metallic paint, Auto Wipers.
£17,075.

Ford Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 (120ps)
Air con, Metallic paint, Auto Wipers and Lights
£15,670

Citreon C2 1.6 (120ps)
VTS trim level
£14,115

£15,220.

Same spec as my car
£14,380.

I got £2k off ;)

Exactly.

TBH mate im a little jealous, i paid £2000 for my first clio, direct debit to my mum as she made me pay for my own car, own insurance, tax, mot and petrol. 2nd and currentcame from my hard saving from a crappy part time job and my parents and grandparents put a lot of money into it aswell for my birthday and christmas, my new Gt is the same, ive saved my ass off to get £6k together, the rest from my parents and grandparents as a 21st bday present.

My mate had a £20odd,000 58 plate AC Schnitzer Tuned 118d bought for his 18th by his Dad. This exact one -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMH-U17w31s

My other friend is having a 6 series bought for him, although he is paying a lot of money towards it himself through his own money. Not bad at 18, 4.5L V8.

Black Clio GT
i think its a good car and it handles pretty well. mine gets thrashed on a regular basis and getting 32mpg, done 3.5k miles now and loosening up nicley.
regarding the twingo rs cup, i looked at it seriously but just couldnt live with the interior and lack of boot but was good fun in the corners and not much faster than a gt in a straight line.
i also looked at the corsa sri, the fiesta zetec s, the yaris sr 1.8 and the suzuki swift and found the clio best overall in cost, how it drove etc
just needs lower suspension which is gonna get sorted after x mas and some 20mm spacers. then wait for a remap to become available and do a manifold back exhaust, filter and some decent brakes and get some track days done next summer :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Citreon C2 1.6 (120ps)
VTS trim level
£14,115

£15,220.

Same spec as my car
£14,380.

I got £2k off ;)

To be fair to the C2, that price is a bit far fetched. I nearly got a code vts last year which had leather seats aswell as the usual vts spec and brand new they would do it for just above 10K

Still agree though, the warm hatch scene is picking up fairly well and the clio seems the best value for money, although they are all a bit overpriced imo. Bet some of the last 197's sold for what you, sorry your mum paid for your GT. :rasp:

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I'd much rather have a Zetec-S. Can pick one up on buyacar for £12.5k.

320d
I'd much rather have a Zetec-S. Can pick one up on buyacar for £12.5k.

As would I. However I supose that isn't the point of this thread.

Whatever I and others may think about them, they seem to be selling well which is the point of them.

If I had to go for a brand new non RS Clio it would be a GT dci wth tomtom. Good looks, decent handling plus a reasonably punchy, economical diesel engine.

Fabia vrs tdi
good choice of car, it really does look the shiiit hot and alot quicker than a 1.6

good idea , maybe i should have gone for somethin like this instead of the higher insurance and lower mpg of my new 182

1.2 TCE engine has to be nursed to average 38mpg on a whole tank!

Oh dear I ordered another Clio last week and I chose one with this engine.
I bought it to keep the mileage down on my R27 and for economy. Looks like the economy is out of the window then. :(

PS 200
Well my 1.2 returns around 32mpg, 29mpg when its cold, i hate to think what the 1.6 will be like.
Something not right with these 1.2s.

I'm getting 32mpg in a 200 - now I don't drive like Jenson Button - but I also don't drive like James May.

I'd expect a 1.2 to be returning mid 40s tbh :S

Mondeo diesel barge
Well my 1.2 returns around 32mpg, 29mpg when its cold, i hate to think what the 1.6 will be like.

I'd be annoyed getting that kind of mpg in my 182 :S

Currently sitting on 38 just now, most of it motorway miles, but a good bit of town driving as well. Was around 44 pounding the motorway.

Mini Cooper S
You have to bare in mind, the 1.2 is gonna be sitting at higher revs on a motorway run = burning more fuel!

The TCE is by no means economical! To acheive 40MPG on a tank would mean never going above 2k, however it will do 32MPG thrashing the whole tank!

Not a 320d
Well i should have mine by next week, dealers rang me on monday to say its getting delivered on the 7th.

320d
You have to bare in mind, the 1.2 is gonna be sitting at higher revs on a motorway run = burning more fuel!

The TCE is by no means economical! To acheive 40MPG on a tank would mean never going above 2k, however it will do 32MPG thrashing the whole tank!

It depends on what type of driving your doing. I'm sure you can get over 40mpg and go over 2K no problem. When doing my IAM runs, by driving properly and smoothly, I could use the full rev range of the engine and return nearly 50mpg out of my 1.2 16V, albeit the TCE has a turbo but on the other hand it should be working as hard.

I will admit around town you will not achieve over 40mpg.

The dci's however will return no less than 50mpg basically however you drive them.

Mini Cooper S
It depends on what type of driving your doing. I'm sure you can get over 40mpg and go over 2K no problem. When doing my IAM runs, by driving properly and smoothly, I could use the full rev range of the engine and return nearly 50mpg out of my 1.2 16V, albeit the TCE has a turbo but on the other hand it should be working as hard.

I will admit around town you will not achieve over 40mpg.

The dci's however will return no less than 50mpg basically however you drive them.

On a 50mph run I average 45MPG, 70mph I average 40MPG, around town about 32MPG. These are the rough figures I'd get if I reset the trip meter on each occasion. There is very little power in the lower rev range of the TCE.

With mixed driving I get 34/35MPG if I'm not thinking about economically driving every second. If I'm in economical mode, I'll get 38MPG. These averages are over a full tank, I reset it each time I fill up.

Fiesta ST2
i get 32mpg constantly but i rag it all the time. i once tried driving slowly with a full tank and only got like 40 mpg the fact im only losing 8mpg i dont mind giving it the beans constantly.. makes me think if i got a RS and drove it at the same speed as the 1.2 tce e.g how hard im accelerating would I get better MPG?? btw that mpg reading was up in around the 9000mile mark.. once it got over 9000 mile the trip computer faked up and reset itself! also my clio is on 36,000 mile now just got the 3rd service on saturday... its well and truly loosened up!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
On a 50mph run I average 45MPG, 70mph I average 40MPG, around town about 32MPG. These are the rough figures I'd get if I reset the trip meter on each occasion. There is very little power in the lower rev range of the TCE.

With mixed driving I get 34/35MPG if I'm not thinking about economically driving every second. If I'm in economical mode, I'll get 38MPG. These averages are over a full tank, I reset it each time I fill up.

All that's going to give you is ballocks readings. The trip computer should be used to give an average over the full tank. Fill it up, reset, the leave it until you fill again. If you keep resetting, it will be all over the place.

320d
i get 32mpg constantly but i rag it all the time. i once tried driving slowly with a full tank and only got like 40 mpg the fact im only losing 8mpg i dont mind giving it the beans constantly.. makes me think if i got a RS and drove it at the same speed as the 1.2 tce e.g how hard im accelerating would I get better MPG?? btw that mpg reading was up in around the 9000mile mark.. once it got over 9000 mile the trip computer faked up and reset itself! also my clio is on 36,000 mile now just got the 3rd service on saturday... its well and truly loosened up!

Well put it this way i've not had less than 32mpg out of a tank in my ph1. I don't tickle it around everywhere either. Albeit I don't rev it to the limiter all the time, because a lot of the time you don't have the space to or your going to be in trouble with the law.

The main thing I miss about my 1.2 is being able to rag it around, changing up just before the limiter in 1st 2nd & 3rd but still not actually be speeding. Where as in the 172 7K in 3rd is just over 90.

Whats worrying about that is the 172 isnt even that fast. If you had something like an M3, GT-R, Ferarri, Lambo etc I worry you would not be able to enjoy it properly on the road because its just too fast. People will probably disagree with me though.

Mini Cooper S
All that's going to give you is ballocks readings. The trip computer should be used to give an average over the full tank. Fill it up, reset, the leave it until you fill again. If you keep resetting, it will be all over the place.

I don't keep resetting, they're figures if I've just filled up and jump onto the motorway/dual carriage way/around town! I reset it each time I fill up and it is very accurate.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
The main thing I miss about my 1.2 is being able to rag it around, changing up just before the limiter in 1st 2nd & 3rd but still not actually be speeding. Where as in the 172 7K in 3rd is just over 90.

f**k that i used to hit the limiter in 5th gear daily on my way to work @ 147mph

Fiesta ST2
Whats worrying about that is the 172 isnt even that fast. If you had something like an M3, GT-R, Ferarri, Lambo etc I worry you would not be able to enjoy it properly on the road because its just too fast. People will probably disagree with me though.

totally agree mate.. i just hope i remember if i ever get a 172/182/197 to slow down..

320d
f**k that i used to hit the limiter in 5th gear daily on my way to work @ 147mph

lol how do you still have a licence Martin? I'm too unlucky and like my licence. Thinking of doing airfield day because I realy want to see what my car will do.

Twingo rs133
You wishing you went for a more powerful engine then? The TCE isn't rapid but the extra power and torque makes it feel reasonabley nippy.
yeah mate wish i do now.I quite like the twingo sport they have got a red 1 with gray wheels at my renault.I had a 100hp panda before i bought my clio that was quick but cos of the probems i got rid.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
You cant buy a LY Twingo ;)

O RLY?

Marcoussis_004.gif

Twingos are produced in Slovenia and the only factory that has the LY paint facility is the Renaultsport factory in Dieppe. The Twingo above was a pre-production model.

the trip is utter tripe on the mk3s best way to workout the mpg fill the car to the brim drive it as you do take note of the miles you do then fill it backup to the brim an take note of the liters of fuel you put back and the price of fuel then put the info here

http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php

as for the dci doing 50mpg its not as easy to get this as you think my dci86 gets anything between 55-57mpg driven carefully as for the dci106 gt i would expect anything between 42-50 the lowest manufacturer claimed figure is going to be the best indentation of real world mpg imo

Trip meter is very accurate for me!

im dont rate the trip i fill my car reset everything it settles at 61mpg if i reset it per trip is claiming 70mpg so go figure

from the lowest claimed figures
the 1,2 at best id expect 37mpg
the tce strange as it sounds 38mpg
1.5dci 86 my car 54mpg which tbh is doing no problems and more
so you could say you get a few more miles out of all of them

take these figures with a pinch of salt as these cars are driven on diffrent roads by diffrent drivers ;)