ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO IV RS - Trophy from page 111

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
lol @ the conspiracy that Renault made it w**k to phase it out!!

if they wanted to "phase it out" they would just stop making it! didn't see them making a shite version of the v6 to phase it out!

imagine how much development money has gone into this car regardless of how crap it is, the new box, engine, stupid "e-diff" noncence etc etc

Clio 200 Cup
Geneva will be another stickers, leather & bullshit special, if anything.

I went to the Geneva show in 2010 and saw the Clio 200 Gordini launch (press day). I've never before felt so let down by a brand, only to be let down further by the 200T.

I have yet to see a 200T on the road and they've been out for a year. How do you say "SALES FLOP" in French?

I dont buy the whole 'wider appeal 5-door' crap: Renault went for a single platform concept (5 door shell) and the result is underwhelming. The End.

I think we've seen the best of Renault Sport for the time being - I don't think they'll improve the Clio in any way that matters until the next generaltion (Mk.5?). If at all.

But hey - we can enjoy the cars they have already built. Plenty of other companies build cars; I'll simply buy the best of what's available when it's time to change my 200 Cup.

Skip

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
The next gordini will be 100x better than the last one, renault have already confirmed they made a mistake with last one and said next one will be lighter and more powerful. I hope I don't eat my words... Have faith

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I've seen a few, probably 4-5.

I still want one, i don't however want to pay £20k for one. There are not very many for sale. If i was a betting man, i'd say the next Clio RS will be available in 3 door/manual guise. As we all know, this has not been a successsful exercise.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think the 5 door has been a flop at all infact I don't think any aspect of the car has been other than the gearbox, I think even the people that are unconvinced by the looks would overlook that if the gearbox wasn't an issue, look at the clio 200, the front end wasn't the best looking but it didn't stop most including myself buying one, and once I drove it I couldn't care less what the front looked like

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Still haven't seen one on the road. Shocking.

Yep. Almost one year since I almost put a deposit down on one, and apart from on the Renault stand at the Festival of Speed, I have not seen a single one on the road/in the flesh.

There's only a handful I know of across the forums I frequent too. I'm sure there was a more immediate take up of the Mk3 when it was released? Or were there also only 5 owners of 197s after it being on sale for a year?

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I saw a LY one in the flesh the other day. Looked good. It's the only one I've seen though.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I'm sure there was a more immediate take up of the Mk3 when it was released? Or were there also only 5 owners of 197s after it being on sale for a year?

It hasn't been on sale a year. We opened the order books in May for RS off the top of my head, so customers will have started to receive their cars in July/Aug.

Clio non-RS has been on sale since Jan.

Nissan 350z
Heres to hoping Renault admit defeat and at least offer the Juke's manual gearbox as an option (the part exists FFS mated to the same engine why not let people spec it?) and offer an attractive lease/pcp deal like they did with the 200's £999 down, £199pm.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
The first RS versions were on the road from July last year in the UK, dealers had their demo versions from June. There were 165 registered on uk roads by the end of December (source DVLA). Just depends where you live and what time you're out and about if you see one.
I have only seen one other apart from mine on the road and I put some miles in - they are about and the numbers are growing ok slowly mainly because of the price not the gearbox. Renault have widened their audience from the hardcore so mr average family man doesn't really give a toss if it's an auto box. Others who were going to order a clio got fed up of the wait as there was a considerable delay in the orders and are now driving the fiesta ST, pug 208 GTI or even either a merc B class or BMW because of the availability and deals to be had at the time.
There seem to be a lot of keyboard race drivers about slating a car they haven't driven. Sadly they seem to be the 1.2 owners following the crowd of journalists. The car isn't perfect but the 197/200 wasn't either they had some serious gearbox issues and weren't the most comfortable (source current and ex 197/200 owners) Side by side I think the 182 was better specc'd than the 200t in some departments. The obvious being xenons, the not so obvious vanity mirror lights driver and passenger and even the fact you could chill the glove box with the A/C by moving the blue flap at the back and it has a glove box light. So yes the new 200t isn't everyone's cup of tea for what ever reason, but give it a spin and if you're not smiling with the way it applies the speed then yes maybe the car isn't for you. Unfortunately you need more than a half hour test drive to get a feel for the car. The car doesn't feel as nimble as a 182 (can't comment on 197/200) mainly because it has grown in size and is almost the same length as a focus ST; however, it does not hang around in auto or manual and if you really need to prove how big your manhood is select race mode and use the gear stick to change up and down rather than the paddles as the gear changes seem even quicker.
This car needs to be seen in the flesh as it doesn't photograph too well (poor thing) and actually played with in all modes to possibly see what renault were thinking.
If you've driven it then you have validity in your opinions but I don't have respect for the opinion of the keyboard race driver tempted to come back with the phrase I don't need to lick a turd to know it is a turd - you might surprise or embarrass yourself when the 5 door auto has left you behind. In that case stick to playing the xbox or play station.

FLOL at the conspiracy theory!

Lads, these Clios are costing us too much money to build, what are we gonna do? I know, let's spend several hundred million Euros developing a car so bad that no one buys it? Then we can stop building them with approval from the Internet.

Just PMSFL!

I don't think the 5 door has been a flop at all infact I don't think any aspect of the car has been other than the gearbox, I think even the people that are unconvinced by the looks would overlook that if the gearbox wasn't an issue, look at the clio 200, the front end wasn't the best looking but it didn't stop most including myself buying one, and once I drove it I couldn't care less what the front looked like

Nope even if they sorted the gearbox I still wouldn't have one, they are ugly, 5-door and Huge.
My biggest problem is with the size of them, and the new fiesta and the pug.
Hence why I'm keeping my 182 and getting a 205gti for weekends.
Fingers crossed Renault do something good with the next gen Twingo as thats about the right size for a french hot hatch.

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
Spotted my first one today, looked pretty smart in the metal!
eny2yhab.jpg

Renault Clio RS 200T
It hasn't been on sale a year. We opened the order books in May for RS off the top of my head, so customers will have started to receive their cars in July/Aug.

Clio non-RS has been on sale since Jan.
Spot on, I reckon I must have been one of the first, picked mine up June 28th probably because most wanted the cup.
I've become completely bored with all the people who rubbish it out of hand, not seen it not driven it. I care not a jot for for the pretentious boy racers either. I like it, I've driven it, I own one. Constructive criticism I will pay attention to, all the rubbish about the demise of the RS brand, YAWN!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
all the rubbish about the demise of the RS brand, YAWN!

so you don't agree that there is going to be a massive demise of the RS brand?

the Clio 200 was the best car in its class by a long LONG mile!, nothing came close, the reviews raved about it, the cheap PCP deals sold it.

This time round the reviewers seem to mostly dislike it, the fiesta ST is the new king, its cheaper, its quicker, the sales figures and reviews tell you everything.

Fiesta ST2
I know I'm going to get slated for this but..

I think this point was discussed on the Renaultsport forum and from memory they said the sales where great in mainland EU? UK/Ireland is a tiny market compared to the EU. So they lose what 2606 sales in the UK(based on the Renaultsport Clio 200 sales including cup, raider and silverstone GP) how many have they gained from else where? I don't see it as a problem and to be fair I think it looks quite good. I've yet to drive one but did go up and have a good look around one at my local Renault dealer.

Nissan 350z
I know I'm going to get slated for this but..

I think this point was discussed on the Renaultsport forum and from memory they said the sales where great in mainland EU? UK/Ireland is a tiny market compared to the EU.

UK was not a tiny market for the Renaultsport brand; Jeremy posted these figures on the RUK forum for 2011 sales:
Total Renaultsport (all 3 models):
1st - France
2nd - Germany
3rd - UK
4th - Switzerland
5th - Belgium + Luxembourg

Twingo Renaultsport:
1st - France
2nd - Germany
3rd - UK
4th - Italy

Clio Renaultsport:
1st - France
2nd. UK
3rd. Germany
4th. Belgium + Luxembourg
5th. Italy

Megane Renaultsport:
1st - France
2nd - Germany
3rd - UK
4th - Switzerland

If you havent seen it, even Volkswagen are now offering a manual option again in their "auto only Polo GTi":
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...mt=RE:+Manual+gearbox+for+Polo+GTI&mid=174212

Fiesta ST2
Correct that's 2011 sales figures. Do you happen to have the 2012/2013 figures? I think they said EU countries where/are selling more of the 200T than the UK 200 ever sold.. Either way its opened a whole new market for them that they didn't have before and as long as that market makes more sales they are going to keep going that way..

Suzuki Jimny
Correct that's 2011 sales figures. Do you happen to have the 2012/2013 figures? I think they said EU countries where/are selling more of the 200T than the UK 200 ever sold.. Either way its opened a whole new market for them that they didn't have before and as long as that market makes more sales they are going to keep going that way..

I read this too. Selling like hotcakes in the EU!

Find it funny that because a few people haven't seen one on their street that means Renault haven't sold any.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I read this too. Selling like hotcakes in the EU!

Find it funny that because a few people haven't seen one on their street that means Renault haven't sold any.

That's not actually what people said. It hasn't sold "well" in the UK.

Suzuki Jimny
Where are all the owners?

I know of maybe six or seven on here, clio197.net and renaultsport.co.uk combined. Ten at a push.

That is not selling well.

It's maybe because it's not as much of an 'enthusiasts' car like the 200 was. People are probably buying it because it's 5 door, auto and yellow.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I've never seen a Clio 200t on the road yet. When the 200 went on sale I saw quite a few within a couple of months. Obviously that doesn't account for overseas sales, but they are undeniably selling badly over here.

By contrast, I've seen at least 10 Fiesta ST's so far, but they are generally more popular anyway.

Clio 200T

That's not actually what people said. It hasn't sold "well" in the UK.

---------
People are probably buying it because it's 5 door, auto and yellow.

Except they aren't?

How do you know?

I've never seen a Clio 200t on the road yet.

I love this thread! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
If you actually read my post I said I can't account for overseas sales. I have no idea how well it's sold in france etc.

Until the official sales figures are out, that really is the only way to tell.

Oh and Vospers have only sold a few from speaking to them, and they cover the entire south west.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I spoke to a dealer last week that said they wont be having any ordered for the showroom as they made that mistake when it launched and it sat for months.

so the reviews aint selling them
no cheap deals selling them
dealers don't have faith in them so aint selling them.

they are either going to have to rectify the poor choices made with the car or massively lower the price point to compete with the other "flawed but not bad" cars like the fabia VRS etc

it doesn't take much, look at the clio 197, it didn't get anywhere near as bad press as the 200EDC is getting but there was issues, 6th gear was too short for motorway, it felt too gutless low down, didn't feel quite as nimble as the previous car, along came the 200 with shorter 1st,2nd and 3rd gearing, much more torque under 3000rpm, peak torque 150rpm lower, quicker rack, better suspension setup, cheap pcp deal and bam they sold even with a questionable front end!

I think "selling like hot cakes" may be a slight exaggeration of the truth. I've spent a ton of time all over Western Europe and still haven't seen a single one. Anywhere. Now, clearly that doesn't mean they aren't selling any, but if they were flying off the shelves, you'd be quite likely to see one or two from time to time.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I quite like the look of them-

However the interior is shockingly sh*t. No wonder the ST is outselling it. I would rather have the ST.

baysthebest

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172/172Cup/182
If you actually read my post I said I can't account for overseas sales. I have no idea how well it's sold in france etc.

Oh and Vospers have only sold a few from speaking to them, and they cover the entire south west.

There is more than 1 dealer in the south west..... I work for one and I dont work for Vospers and there are plenty of others too.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T

Vospers may cover the South West but they are a Franchise Dealership who's main sales appear to be Ford if you visit their website. They have two Renault dealers out of the ten Renault dealers that are in the South West, so them saying they've only sold a few doesn't mean people haven't bought them else where and it's not necessarily in the South West.
The car cost too much for people down there and if the news is anything to go by, you're better off buying a boat. :rasp: