ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio MK2 1.2 Dynamique 16v (First Post & First Car Project)

Renault Clio 1.2 Mk2
Got myself a Clio 1.2 Dynamique 16v probably about two years ago (My First Car) and have decided that I would like to start improving some things! I am starting with the simpler things to tweak and then working towards alloys and 172 kit etc.

Would be great to see some pictures of your own Clio projects for inspiration and also some feedback and recommendations would be a great help!

aHduUyp.jpg

Renault Clio 1.2 Mk2
Have got stuck in this week and started off by vinyl wrapping my interior dash strips with a silver carbon fibre vinyl. I have seen members on here do the same with black carbon fibre so I thought it would be a simple cheap job to do and would be a nice improvement.

Here is a before picture -
Pgve8Ih.jpg

I thought I would go for a silver carbon fibre as it would be more subtle. Here is the newly wrapped dash strips -
7qOnicN.jpg
EkqwZcc.jpg

Clio 1.2
Looks good mate, thinking of doing mine soon but in carbon fibre vinyl! are they hard to do and do they take long? Thanks

Renault Clio 1.2 Mk2
Looks good mate, thinking of doing mine soon but in carbon fibre vinyl! are they hard to do and do they take long? Thanks

Cheers! and not at all probably took me 20-30 minutes, only slightly tedious part is wrapping round the edge on the smaller dash strip but you just heat the vinyl a little bit with a heat gun or hair dryer and it should smooth out.

Renault Clio 1.2 Mk2
I quite like the silver carbon. Brightens up the interior a bit compared to the normal black carbon.

Have a look through my project thread - http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?613699-Danman-s-Mk2-1-6

It was the same colour as your car so you might find a few ideas you like. I won't spam your new thread too much but here's a few photos.

IMG_0413-1_zps2a9cc477.jpg

8101068485_a8c04fe818_o_zpsb9c62748.jpg

IMAG1582_zps2aa1217a.png

Thanks for the link!, great job on your carbon wrapping. Think I might paint my alloys black or anthracite, was looking into trying to buy some 182 alloys but might hold that off for a while as they will cost a lot!

Renault Clio 1.2 Mk2
Carbon wrapping looks good. What other 'tweaks' do you have lined up? Colour coded bumpers? Clear side repeaters?

Yes some clear side repeaters I wanted to fit, as well as things like fitting a 172 grill, painting my alloys, colour coding side trims, restoring headlights, and fitting a 172 kit is a possibility in a year or two. Interior wise I would like to finish fitting my door speakers and tweeters (doing it this weekend), and perhaps even fit new seats such as the half leather sports ones.

If you have any more suggestions or recommendations I would appreciate it mate!

Yes some clear side repeaters I wanted to fit, as well as things like fitting a 172 grill, painting my alloys, colour coding side trims, restoring headlights, and fitting a 172 kit is a possibility in a year or two. Interior wise I would like to finish fitting my door speakers and tweeters (doing it this weekend), and perhaps even fit new seats such as the half leather sports ones.

If you have any more suggestions or recommendations I would appreciate it mate!

Yup your list sounds good to me. Thought about lowering it? Even a 40mm drop makes the world of difference to the look of the car.

Other cheap tweaks - LED everything! Interior light, numberplate light and bootlight

the interior wrap looks good, exactly what ive done. The silver looks much better than black

my thread is to the left under my dp
ive got things like colour coding, sport steering wheel, bbs alloys, lowering etc

the idea of a sport kit sounds boss, do it! haha

Renault Clio 1.2 Mk2
the interior wrap looks good, exactly what ive done. The silver looks much better than black

my thread is to the left under my dp
ive got things like colour coding, sport steering wheel, bbs alloys, lowering etc

the idea of a sport kit sounds boss, do it! haha

Cheers man!, nice project, I like the colour coding, might think about that as I don't think I will get a 172 kit this year

Renault Clio 1.2 Mk2
I am not a fan of massive subwoofers and amplifiers but I did want the sound quality in my car improved so went and bought myself some Pioneer TS-Q131C speakers. Pretty easy to fit since the connectors are Renault ready.

Here is the new fitted door speakers -
MRUJIn7.jpg

I also got tweeters with the kit although haven't fitted them yet since I heard it's a bit of a pain removing the dash and getting it on correctly without any rattles. Might get another set for my rear speakers. Overall the sound is brilliant now! even without the tweeters (curious whether they will make a big difference).

Renault Clio 1.2 Mk2
Struggling to make a choice on new alloys! I wondered if 172 alloys would suit my car if sprayed an anthracite or black or whether to go for non-Renault alloys. Will sound stupid but seeing as my current wheels are 15", will I be able to fit 16" 172 wheels no problems?

I am also curious whether 172 alloys on my car will look stupid and out of place seeing as I don't have a 172 kit or have it lowered.

Titanium 182
If your interested in lowering it I have some FK 60/40 springs and shocks for sale, will make your car sit lovely ;)

never really too keen on this colour, I like what -Danman- did to his, I'm hoping you can make this a decent car with its colour mate.

Last edited:
  Renault Clio 1.2 Mk2
If your interested in lowering it I have some FK 60/40 springs and shocks for sale, will make your car sit lovely ;)

never really too keen on this colour, I like what @-Danman- did to his, I'm hoping you can make this a decent car with its colour mate.

Yeah can't say I am fond of the colour! just my first car though so isn't much of an issue for me. A friend of mine is doing a vinyl wrapping course later this year so I will be offering up my car to him after he has finished haha, at least I can have a choice in colour then!

Renault Clio 1.2 Mk2
Got myself a 172 Grille on its way tomorrow, so hopefully I will fit that early this week, as well as a 3M Headlight Restoration Kit to get my yellowed/hazed lights sorted.

Need to take my car into a bodyshop also to discuss getting my hideous bumper scuff sorting and have the black trims colour coded! Hopefully by the end of the this month I will off to a great start, I will only have to worry about having my alloys refurbed and sprayed, getting new tyres and then lowering my car a bit.

Renault Clio 1.2 Mk2
Since I am looking into colour coding my current front and rear bumper ( as well as side strips), has anyone got any pictures of their colour coded front and rear bumpers so I have a better idea what they will look like. Also did you colour code your spoiler or leave as standard?

Since I am looking into colour coding my current front and rear bumper ( as well as side strips), has anyone got any pictures of their colour coded front and rear bumpers so I have a better idea what they will look like. Also did you colour code your spoiler or leave as standard?

ytyqy9a7.jpg

yda9u9a4.jpg

Renault Clio 1.2 Mk2
Fitted my new 172 grille and replaced my passenger side windscreen seal since the corner was missing. Grille is a great improvement from my s**tty 'honeycomb' grille!

axcnhV0.jpg

Got a 3M headlight restoration kit I am going to try out this weekend, hopefully my headlights will look good (if not I will buy new headlights). I will post the before and after pictures.

Also got my colour coding sorted for Monday - Wednesday next week! My step dad's mate is a sprayer and will repair my horrible bumper scuff, colour code the front bumper, rear bumper, spoiler and my side trims all for £120! Pretty buzzing to get it all done. Pictures will follow.

Renault Clio 1.2 Mk2
Have now got my car back after having a horrible bumper scuff removed and also getting my car colour coded. Now my car is looking great! really happy with the colour coding, had the front trim done, rear trim, side trim and also my spoiler. Here are some photos..

HgJLBep.jpg

g2mRKfT.jpg

JiC4ued.jpg

I will be giving it all a clean Saturday so will get a full picture up then. I am yet to get some new headlights since my existing ones are far too gone, so will hopefully get them in a week or two. Also saving for a new set of tyres, and will be getting my wheels refurbed and sprayed an anthracite grey I think.

As far as little things I need doing, I would like to get some clear side repeaters, maybe finish off the coding and code the door handles, new led number plate light and new renault number plates (any good sites for them would be appreciated).

Let me know what you think about the coding! Cheers

Renault Clio 1.2 Mk2
Looks ace mate, real nice job :)

Whats up with the headlights?

I used http://www.fancyplates.com/ for mine, nice & clean with minimal writing on:

14350942926_7d5abc242b_b.jpg
Colour coded! by laurence.hucker1234, on Flickr

Cheers mate!

The headlights don't look bad on my pictures, but they are seriously hazed and yellowed, I have used a 3M restoration kit with no luck, they were improved in parts. The guy who colour coded my car even had a go with his professional kit with no luck, But he has sorted me a good price for new headlights which I am fine with getting.

Titanium 182
Looks very good colour coded now mate, for the headlights I used meguiers (however you spell it) on my last car and they came up like brand new on them.

Id id say for the plate I agree with Loz, I used fancy plates when I got my 3/4 plate and got it all fresh and clean looking, went and got a standard size one from halfords and it has writing and stuff that isn't really wanted.

Renault Clio 1.2 Mk2
Cheers guys, will check out fancy plates. I need to get some clear side repeaters, anyone know a good renault part site? and if they are hard to fit?

Cheers guys, will check out fancy plates. I need to get some clear side repeaters, anyone know a good renault part site? and if they are hard to fit?

Renault wolverhampton on here mate, best of the best ;)

Should just clip off & unplug mate, nothing hard

Titanium 182
Everybody wants clear repeaters? Going to be the only clio on here with orange ones soon.

but try renault Wolverhampton, or even your local scrappy bud, I've made many of purchases at mine.

Renault Clio 1.2 Mk2
Got my new headlights fitted, £55 for the pair, loving them!

pL9Uh9R.jpg

Also got some new number plates coming from Fancy Plates as recommended, and a new number plate light and led bulb. Really need to get some clear side repeaters ordered as well

Renault Clio 1.2 Mk2
Got myself a K&N 57i induction kit and fitted that today. I just bought it because I wanted a better sound from my engine, I am aware it will hardly do much to my BHP but not really fussed. Does anyone else have this filter and is there anything I ought to be wary of??

GX6T9kP.jpg

Renault Clio 1.2 Mk2
Your driving a 1.2 mate it he engine is never going to sound good, even with a chavtastic filter.

To be honest I didn't buy it assuming my car was going to sound crazy, otherwise i'd be buying a car with a bigger engine. I just grown tired of the dull sound of my engine, so this suited me perfect.

Renault Clio 1.2 Mk2
Realized after fitting my air filter that I forgot to fit the air intake tube somewhere which I got with it. Does anyone have any pictures of where there's is fitted?

As stated before, I didn't buy it expecting a major improvement in performance although I am slightly concerned with the placement of my filter and the hot air it will be getting (Reason why I want to fit this tube). Is the hot air going to cause any problems, performance aside but more for the care of my engine..

Much appreciate any help!

Titanium 182
Brad Shepp had one of these, I think he ran two tubes, one where the normal intake goes where that metal plate is to the front of the air filter and then ran one a bit lower down to the floor as well but don't quote me on that, did you not get any tubing when you bought the filter?