ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Widearch Volvo Turbo (B18FT) Mega Bass Project almost complete

Clio Widearch
that's correct they do. Luckily for me these are even better suited to a large enclosure than the RE's. Really the old subs didn't need as big of a box but with the Orion's the general rule is to make the box as big as possible. These subs will be seeing about 8cuft each after port and sub displacement which is perfect for the low wobbly stuff. :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Oh I assumed if you spent a year doing the box it was the right size for the old subs. Measure twice and cut once and all that. Lol.

That's handy if it was too big anyway then.

Clio Widearch
What i did was build the box as big as i could physically fit in the car and was then going to use Kicker L7's which like large boxes as i had used them before and liked them. Then the RE's came up cheap second hand and i couldn't resist...lol. They are a really nice sounding sub which got really loud and had great linear movement.

The Orions are a bit more rough and ready brutal kick in the arse kind of things which may not sound as nice SQ wise but will certainly hit much harder and are built stronger for the power i'll be throwing into them. They are also a true 15" sub so are more like a 16.5" sub. The old system managed a 153db on the termlab so with around triple the power, a better electrical system, more cone area and xmax, i'm expecting at least a 155.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I remember those l7 subs.

I had lanzar dc15s, then dls x12 and Rockford fosgate power punch when I was going for volume. Then I swapped to just a pair of 12w6s and worried more about sound quality as I got fed up of the tinnitus. Also got boot space back as they only need 30 litres each.

Clio Widearch
Sounds like you've had your fair share of equipment too. I run a ported Rockford Power HX2 on a Directed 1100d in my MG or Supra (Interchangeable on a banana plug). I picked the whole lot up for £80 off swapz. When new that setup would have been around £800 so got a right bargain there and its been great...lol

tinnitus and hearing trouble is actually caused by the high pitched tweeter sounds at loud volumes, not by bass. The only way bass can damage your ears is if the pressure gets too much and you damage/burst your ear drum whch can happen but normally is at very high volumes. As with anything.....moderation is the key.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sounds like you've had your fair share of equipment too.

Used to, but not this millenium really, the 12w6's are a dozen years old and the last large audio item I bought.

I run a ported Rockford Power HX2 on a Directed 1100d in my MG or Supra (Interchangeable on a banana plug). I picked the whole lot up for £80 off swapz. When new that setup would have been around £800 so got a right bargain there and its been great...lol

Yeah you can pick up some good retro bargains if you look about im sure, lol.
Rockford and directed gear was epic back in the day.

tinnitus and hearing trouble is actually caused by the high pitched tweeter sounds at loud volumes, not by bass. The only way bass can damage your ears is if the pressure gets too much and you damage/burst your ear drum whch can happen but normally is at very high volumes. As with anything.....moderation is the key.

Maybe im using the wrong term for tinnitus if that just comes from treble, all I know is that if i listen to monster amounts of bass for long periods I end up with ringing in my ears, if I turn the bass down but still have the rest loud I dont seem to get the same thing?

Clio Widearch
Everyone's ears are different and react differently to bass and treble. I know when i used to have a daily dose of 150db + i used to get a build up of wax in my ears and had to get them shringed every so often...lol. I also had a bit of tinnitus but that's now gone.

Clio Widearch
Bit more work going on this weekend before we all get blown away by the gales :)

Decided to paint my amp casings as they were looking very scruffy. I painted the whole thing and then remade the diamond cut style finish on the badge

Before

DSCF0777_zps04b81ff3.jpg

After

DSCF0787_zps5cf55311.jpg

I also found some cracks where the rear bumper joins the rear arches and it hasn't even been near a road yet. I figured i had better get to the bottom of whats caused it. Turns out the comedian who fitted the kit decided to only attach the top half of the arch to the car. The bottom half was moving about and causing cracks. I have now fibreglassed everything together both behind and on the front face so should be ok (when the other sides done). We shall see. The middle of the bumper has also been fibreglassed to the car to give extra support and will also help the boot shut line...more to be done on this tomorrow

During Prep - now fibreglassed to panel

DSCF0788_zps982b2dca.jpg

Filled and primed

DSCF0791_zpsc8ef0166.jpg

I've also just won a brand new Sinfoni steering wheel on Ebay for £30 so will be replacing the other one

Old one

DSCF0790_zps594c22d0.jpg

New one

1_zps58bd7c62.jpg

I'm undecided on whether to paint the fuel filler cap black or have it white like the car. Any opinions appreciated

Clio Widearch
Not much to show you from the recent activity but i've been doing a couple of repairs to 2 of the amps as the phono socket had broken on one of them. Here's the insides in case you want to see

q_zpsbda83be3.jpg

I've also now replaced the steering wheel. Not the best picture but it looks much nicer. The chrome trim has been painted gloss black to go with the rest of the interior

DSCF0802_zps84e87dab.jpg

There will be a big update on Saturday as the roof is finally almost complete

Clio Widearch
Here we have the roof in Moshi Monster custom stickerbomb in gloss black and white (no crappy greyscales)

DSCF0805_zpseb3b739c.jpg

DSCF0806_zps3ac846f1.jpg

What do you think?

Clio Widearch
I'm doing some things but most of it is staying the same as its not in too bad of a condition. I've changed the bits that used to be silver to black, changed the steering wheel, added a black fire extinguisher, new carpets, new mats and some other touches to make it look a bit nicer. The leather dash etc will be staying blue though and will be tied in to the wheels and a few choice graphics.

Clio Widearch
That would be far too much hard work. And being leather i'd want leather again and that's gonna cost a bomb the same as last time.

Clio Widearch
It would be an option...thing is i like the blue. Also the back end and boot etc is also blue so would be a right mission to change it all. I want it ready for March for the shows....it might look a bit out of place on the cliosport stand though.....i think i'd be raped and pillaged for even asking...lmao

Range Rover Sport
The blue looked dated back 5 years ago for me it would let the entire refresh down but each to there own.

Maybe a nice 2 tone leather. All the effort, time and money just seems a little silly to keep the 'OLD' interior/colour.

Clio Widearch
If i have to budget for time and money for the interior then it wont be ready for March and i don't want to miss another show season. I also have another project to do after this so i can't delay too much.

Clio Widearch
I have done in the past but got pulled by the old bill while watching the England v Brazil game in the world cup on the way to work. Luckily they let me off as i told them the score and said i would take it out while driving..lol

The project is not far off being finished now. Should still be ready for March.

Clio Widearch
Bit more work done today

New Autotek tweeters in the top of the dash fiiring at the window (a quick system test on the drive shows these have made a nice improvement)

DSCF0828_zps708e2a52.jpg

It's mainly been sound system based today. The aux cable for the ipod is now in. I just need to buy a cradle for it. The amp gains are all set ready for when the MOT's done in January so i can do some proper testing and match them properly when at high volumes.

clio 1.2 16v express
OMG you legend. That is f*cken sick! Please carry on with this as i'm going all out like this too. Trying to keep up with the current scene at the same time but love body kitted cars.
Love it!!!
Hopefully my bass will compete with yours. Hoping for an 18" sub to go with my twin 12" at the moment. They move my girlfriends hair when i put it on 3 quarter volume.

New Autotek tweeters in the top of the dash fiiring at the window (a quick system test on the drive shows these have made a nice improvement)
Where were they before? I get a lot of hiss from my Focal tweeters in my ph2 and I thought having them directly facing me, rather than the window, would improve things

Clio Widearch
I didn't realise anybody had replied :) Things have gone a bit quiet just lately with all the terrible weather and Christmas etc but things are moving along slowly again now. This weekend (weather dependant) the bodywork will be completely finished which i'm glad of as i'm REALLY bored of doing that now. The Ipod connections and cradle etc are now all in and working as they should.

I do have a suspected head gasket or fuel injector issue which isn't too much of a big deal but will need to be sorted before the MOT.The externally regulated uprated alternator will be ordered at the start of next month as will some new 4 point harnesses as the old ones are looking very sorry for themselves.

Pistachio - These tweeters have been added into the system and weren't anywhere before. There are 5 tweeters per door also but i've always liked the sound you get from windscreen firing tweeters.

I think i must have been the first to put a PS4 in their car as it was in and working within 10 hours of release date..lol.

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
Im not gunnna lie XD i love this! seriously haha XD its over the top and insain!!! but damn it if i had the time and money id have done something like this XD

Its an emotion (or not as the case may be...) from many moons ago on msn etc. Similar to when some f**king numptys put (Y)

Clio Widearch
It's been a while since any updates have been made. Mainly because there has been nothing much to show but certain things have progressed to make the bodywork as it should be. The car should have had the final coat of primer at the weekend but as its turned out luckily my painter was ill.

I got a new idea which is always dangerous. The fuel filler was always a bit ugly so now its being smartened up to look smoother and smaller.

IMG-20140309-00070_zps76fe128f.jpg

Another update. The big alternator with external regulator and remote voltage control has finally arrived today after a 3 week delay which will be fitted after the MOT.

IMG-20140310-00071_zpsb8a907df.jpg

I will have more updates over the next few weeks as the project is finally completed.

Clio Widearch
Did a bit of sound system testing today. I didn't want to push it too far as the subs aren't ran in yet and the batteries haven't been conditioned.

Suprisingly it pulled a 155db on the Epic with music, which i'm more than happy with for the early tests. There will be more to come once the subs are loosened up and the voltage is stable
icon_smile.gif
This is also with no window rubbers or door seals by the way. I'm not a number chaser but i think i may end up hitting higher than i thought with this
icon_smile.gif
Its violent to say the least.

Here's some vids. obviously the audio quality is nothing to go by as the air is a touch too much for a camera mic..haha. It doesn't really flex much outside as i've built it too well..doh..lol..at least it wont rattle when the scuttle panel is secured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZgpQaK ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGnD_a2 ... e=youtu.be

Clio Widearch
bit more work done. The amps have gone blue to match the wheels when they're all done again. The rear will now be done in stickerbomb the same as the roof and its basically read for that now

20140520_211603_zpsf99a731a.jpg

I also took it to its first mini event as a test run which went quite well except i blew a split charge relay which shut off 4 of the amps but that was quite easily sorted in the end. Here it is at Tamworth Asda last Sunday.

1_zps3d5ef1f7.jpg

I'm thinking of taking it to Dynodaze in Hinckley next Sunday