ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio172/182 or BMW 325

First I apologise for posting in this forum instead of "other marques" as I don't have the previleges.

I've not posted on here for a while, not since I sold my Clio172 back in 2004 and I'm thinking of coming back to the Clio fold! I understand that I may not get a completely unbiased response, but interested you hear your views.

As you can see from the subject heading I have a choice, C172/182 or '02 BMW (e46) 325i Sport malnual saloon and can't make my mind up so hoping your views might help me with a decision. The BMW has 47k miles and is 02 reg, its in the family and well looked after. Clio would be from say Autotrader, both would cost around £8K. Both cars have their merits, however, based on your own experiences, what would be your choice and why?

Thanks

I want something thats entertaining to drive, both are, though the Clio still has the edge in fun factor, it'll be a long term ownership prospect, I guess the BMW would age better in that respect. Thats it really, long term ownership and entertaining drive. Running costs is around the same as my old C172 is performance wise (0-60 and 0-100 7 secs and 19 secs (+/- a couple of tenths).

Clio 172 mk2
Also depends on what sort of driving you do most...I'd hate to commute & drive on motorways all the time in the Clio

172 Cup (track) FS
On the LPM scale (laughs per minute) the Clio has to win hands down.

As an overall ownership prospect the BMW is streets ahead. Better engineered, comfort, safety etc and for long journeys will come into its own.

All depends what you're looking for on the driving front. What sort of mileage and journey types do you do ?

I would be mainly using the car to commute to the station every week day, which is a around 6 miles in total. Weekends it'll be used for pleasure and errands to near by towns on a mix of A roads and B roads. I do around 8k-9k miles per year. I currently have an MPV to carry the family, but may use the car to ferry the kids when they are older. Both are very capable cars. If you were presented with the choice of either car on you drive way and you had to pick one, which would you *personally* choose?

172 Cup (track) FS
OK so you already have the "sensible family car".

be selfish - get the Clio and keep it for your own personal pleasure :D

clio...
well, Each has their own merits.

BMW: RWD, Probably just as fast, Comfortable, 100% more reliable. If you're thinking this car is going to last you a while then I would say this.

Clio: Its a fun as hell hot hatch. If you're looking for a play car, not plan on keeping it for a while then why not?

I'd personally be stuck on the choice, but it depends if you have a family etc? where your actual driving is done.

Turbos.
I certainly wouldn't get the BMW. The new model isn't massively widespread at the moment, but the E46 is starting to fall into the hands of chavs and medallion men so the image will suffer as with the E36. Having a BMW is all about image, so being seen in the 'old model' is a no-no.

The Clio is honest fun, you don't have to worry about image as such and can like it for what it is. I would have reservations about refinement and overall quality though, the Beemer is much better in this respect.

I guess i would widen my search further than two cars...

I'm not bothered by image of a car, I like a car for what it is and how it drives, image doesn't come into the equation. Some may say the same with the Clio driven by chavs/boyracers etc. But does that really matter? for me the Clio 172/182 is a fantastic drivers car thats thats a real hoot to drive and thats how I see it. Though I've owned a 172 for over 2 years previously without any major faults, the questionable longevity/reliability of the car also sticks in my mind. The BMW on the other hand doesn't have this issue. Though the BMW can certainly be hustled down a B road and is entertaining to drive, I don't get the buzz that you get when you chuck the clio down the same road.

I'm stuck for the choice of the the BMW since its in the family and can had for a low price. All I need to do is buy a cheap run-around for a swap. The Clio on the other hand is my free choice and can certainly opt for another car. Am I still wearing rose tinted glasses when looking at the Clio? The FUN is a big factor as is longevity/reliabilty, perhaps I should be looking at something Japanese like the Honda ITR...hmmm.....

Well its been a while, but I've returned to Clio ownership and went the whole hog and got myself a Trophy. The BMW was a great car, great to drive, fantastic build and lovely engine, but missing that "something". Now have something cheaper to run and more suited for my use and though I already miss the quality the BMW, the fun factor goes someway to making up the shortfall and I am seemingly taking the long way home more often! Looking forward to doing a few track days already!

176187079c1bd3f078458d4d4cb11f4a4bea3e4b774970a1745d4faa8fe1a79e781708ec.jpg

Well I was about to say I do a similar kind of driving to you and I am buying a Clio again because I can justify it now, and then I get to then end and see you have bought a Trophy lol! looks great mate

Yeah the BMW does use a lot of petrol for the short journeys I do, around 26-27mpg, and costs nearly £60 to fill up! But it does have an lovely silky smooth engine, makes the Clio's 4 pot seem agricultural in comparison. But with the Clio its a more respectable 30-33mpg, doesn't sound much but at todays petrol prices, it makes a difference at the pumps!

My new toy!