ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cooper S is here.

VW Transporter 174

Well i hope your very happy with your BMW CSB,but dont ever delude yourself into believing you drive a Mini Cooper.
That would be an insult to the memories of MR issigonis and Mr Cooper.
The BMW 116s is no more than some yuppie fashion accessory which will eventually fall out of favour with the shallow types that buy them (usally I.T peps).
laughed at the captains comment
"205 ponies will make it the car it should have been"
To make it the car it should have been would require it to be fitted with a K series and not that Brazilian heap of crap with a cast iron block(how pre-historic).

172 Slayer

GR7

Shiny red R32

Hello Mr Slayer. Agree with you about the Mini Cooper, the BMW doesnt bear much resemblance to it does it? Certainly lacks the character of the original Cooper!

Did you see what one of the magazines said abot the Mini? It has rather a lot of jewellery on it! Presumably the mag means all the silly oddments of chrome everywhere.

Hope Mr Cooper-S Boy still likes his.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Slayer, did you see the girl again that you were trying to attract the other day? Where was it you were wanting to take her? Beefeater or similar place?

VW Transporter 174

Girlracer

I was dissapointed some members of the forum didnt take the thread seriously .
I thought i had found love but now it seems its a love lost

btw,do you fancy a beefeater then?

172 Slayer

The cooper s is a good all round car. Some say it is better than the 172 allround but it doesnt touch the ride and drive of the 172 cup! I know that it basically has f all in it but thats the whole point. 89kg lighter, 10 times the drive of the standard 172 and 20 times better the drive of the cooper s! Its also faster than both. 0-60 172cup: 6.8 secs, 172: 7.2, cooper s: 7.6. Rest my case!!!

CSB, enjoy your car & while youre running it in, just think of all the fun you can have modding it once those miles are up, and it wont take too long to pass. I was behind one yesterday, and they do look nice, and unlike some other new cars, they dont appear to be on stilts with their bum in the air! Its nice to see manufacturers making an effort from the factory.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Slayer, yes please I would love a Beefeater just as long as it isnt one of those old guys from the Tower of London!

Where? When? You can pick me up in your Slayermobile - but first you will have to tell me what it is so that I can look out for you!

Thanks for some of the kind comments?
Where did you read the Cooper S to be 0-60 of 7.6??? Just that Tope gear has 0-62 listed to 7.1 thats all??
May have something to do that the test car used in Top Gears latest edition has been run in?
I am in no doubt that the clio cup will beat the Cooper S. If I wanted to try and compete then I would start ripping out my leather back seats, Get my climate control unit taken out, Take away my ABS and traction control......oh and get my grinder out to file away the glass to half the thickness. sh*t I nearly forgot the floor mats too.
Top gear latest test of Cup vs S
Cup Cooper S
0-60 6.9 7.1
0-100 18.6 19.1
30-50 4.5/6.1 4.6/6.1 (3rd/4th)
50/70 11.9 7.7 (5th)
30-70 6.7 6.6 (Through Gears)

Braking 70-0
Cup - 197.5 feet
Cooper S - 154.7 feet

Clio 197

Dont like the braking distance! Must have been on ABS in the Cooper s and poorly modulated in the Cup. I hope!

Ed

Yeah I am up for that Rhys. Thought you may have been on the lookout on Eccy road last week as I told you I was going to be up there cruising with another Cooper S. Shouldnt have been too difficult to spot us.
Had a blast down the Strines yesterday afters. Nothing much as I had the bird with me and you know what they get like as passengers. Bit bumpy and pot holey round there though. The 17"s were not lapping it up much to be honest.

7.6cc :D

Whining about your bird again Cooper S Boy?

She probably wishes youd put your foot down and stop being so boring

CSB - Didnt get your message about that until about 9pm that night. I would have come if I had more notice.

Anyway, once again (!) my e-mail address is rhys172@yahoo.co.uk. Drop me a mail and well arrange to meet up some time soon. I know a couple of other Northerners are interested in tagging along too. Looking forward to a ride in the Cooper-S .

I know I always arrange meetings at the same place, but how about the Ladybower Inn? Decent car park and right next door to Snake Pass

Rhys

R5 Gordini Turbo

What are the dates that you are thinking about. I am in the area around 27th Sept and I am interested in meeting, (as long as you dont mind a southerner joining in)

I am away on a business trip to New York from Friday 20th to the following Saturday. One night next week would suit me? This weekend coming is a bit difficult as I dont think it would go down too well with the bird as I am away the following 2 weekends. How does next Tuesday sound? Meet in Prince of Wales and have a cruise up past Fox House, through Hathersage and up towards Ladybower??

Yeah, next Tuesday sounds fine. Where abouts is the Prince of Wales pub? And what time? Any time after 6pm is fine for me.

Wish I was being sent to New York on a business trip Best I can look forward to this year is Hemel Hempstead, Stevenage and Heathrow of all bloody places

Rhys

Rhys - if you are at Stevenage or Hemel you can come and visit some friendly faces though - Cooper-S wont see as many friendly faces in NY !!!

Thanks Kathy! Will bear it in mind...

CS - Yes, 6:30 is fine. I know the pub you mean, but for some reason thought it was called something else (Something to do with a parrot???)

Craggy / Paddy / Anyone else?!

Rhys

The article I sent on the shootout between the 172, Cooper S and Golf GTi from SA Drive magazine is up on the homepage - see under Magazine Articles on 172.

Very interesting smileysport - especially the point about normally aspirated cars loosing a 17% power drop at high altitudes whilst supercharged cars dont !!! Bit of a biased report then???

GR7

Shiny red R32

I thought that Cooper S minis would be in short supply, but looking in this weeks Autocar there are seven for sale in one three inch sized advert. One is only two weeks old, another is about six weeks old, and none have done many miles. All are cheaper than the new price and I was wondering why people would be selling them so soon Cooper-S Boy!