ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Covid182 the longest clutch change ever

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I've just caught up with this, it's done two things-

1. Made me really unhappy with my engine bay.
2. Given me a bit of motivation to get stuck into it again.

Im actually not that happy with the bay yet, there are some other on here which just look so mint! But glad its offered some motivation.... its demotivated me to ever do this again haha. But tbh once you get going they are so simple to do

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Anyway.... if f**king failed.

My fault, CV boot was totally buggered, I guess from me pulling it about to change hubs last week grrrrr. But he did fix my gear linkage and adjust it so now I get reverse and 5th.... every cloud.

So we are friendly but not friends it would seem 🤷‍♂️

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Im actually not that happy with the bay yet, there are some other on here which just look so mint! But glad its offered some motivation.... its demotivated me to ever do this again haha. But tbh once you get going they are so simple to do
Not so easy on my sloping drive! I cringe putting mine on axle stands, I always check wheels/leave in gear etc for added security.

I'd be happy with that bay, mines not awful but the engine has stayed in meaning some bits just aren't accessible. I should have put the effort into a clean shelled example really but a respray would always be nice if I can get it done at a semi sensible price, I consider it 'pre-dented' to save the disappointment 😆

Clio 197
Brilliant read. Wondering why you didn’t do it on your driveway though (?gravel).

For the CV boot a universal (glue) one will do the trick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Not so easy on my sloping drive! I cringe putting mine on axle stands, I always check wheels/leave in gear etc for added security.

I'd be happy with that bay, mines not awful but the engine has stayed in meaning some bits just aren't accessible. I should have put the effort into a clean shelled example really but a respray would always be nice if I can get it done at a semi sensible price, I consider it 'pre-dented' to save the disappointment 😆
Haha pre-dented, thats such a good car salesman line!
Gotta say its absolutely mad you've done all of this work outside parked on the side of the road! No way I'd have the motivation to try that.

Need yourself a smart garage!
Cheers James, I have a decent sized garage a couple of miles from home so it takes the edge off doing stuff to the car there and the one at home is absolutely tiny! I would kill for a nice double garage attached to the house... 100% dropped the ball on that one, Mrs chose the house in a bit of a rush when our son was about to come, I didn't even see the house when we made the offer because we were in such a rush to find somewhere in budget etc. She just said "its got a garage" so I was in.... chump move.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Brilliant read. Wondering why you didn’t do it on your driveway though (?gravel).

For the CV boot a universal (glue) one will do the trick

Thanks very much, yea is gravel - my next project is also being stored on it leaving one space for cars that actually work. Next house will have a decent garage and a no gravel drive! makes them so annoying and a bit dangerous to jack up even with wood under the car. The road is a service road off of a busier road so its relatively quiet but still a ball ache.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Couple of bad shots mid fail. Got there and they had the charger on which was good, meant I could drive home at least. And luckily passed emissions so new injectors and old cat are doing find.

Drive home was good, car feels super tight now and seems to pull quite a bit harder than before so guessing dephaser was well past its best (it was very noisy). Need to get tracking done as soon as it has a legit MOT then I'll get the TH's on. Was impressed by the lack of horrid NVH, assumed with poly bushes in engine mounts and slightly stiffer springs it would be horrid but feels absolutely fine to me.

Trying to decide if I should paint the grille black on not....

1608381803471.png

1608381823028.png

Last edited:

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Seems to me that the grille is the exact same colour as mine, even after treating it with Gyeon Trim.

Altough satin black would probably look nicer I think they should be grey.

Inferno182

ClioSport Trader
  172 Track M3RS Track
Looking epic [mention]Touring_Rob [/mention]!

The hubs are looking [emoji91][emoji91][emoji91][emoji91][emoji1786][emoji1786][emoji1786]

Thanks for the plug too mate, always appreciated [emoji1362]

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Shocking day. Set out to change CV joint boot so I could get to the retest tomorrow. After swimming in CV grease for a while I managed to just about get the Universal boot on (was slightly too small).

All done, hub a bit hard to get back on as the CV didn't want to seat properly, figured it would just pop back in of its own accord on its first drive etc.

Reversed off the blocks, went to drive forwards and nothing but grinding - f**k nuggets. So I (because I was too lazy to take the boot back off to seat the CV joint properly) have stripped the end of the driveshaft and filled the brand new CV joint with swarf. Brilliant.

Had a paddy, removed the joint and slung it back together, ordered a new genuine shaft from Ktec because the J&R site didn't say anything about cup packs blah. Car blocking neighbors drive, on a hill and I couldn't push it back up alone had to wait for him to get home. So now, car is siting on the floor, undrivable with an unpreloaded new bearing (great).

The hour long job turned into an all day s**t fest, and I didn't even get round to fitting the new alternator. LIFE.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
When you roll it jack it up and take the weight off that wheel. If not you'll f**king kick yourself mate

Oh and for anyone else doing a CV boot, take the shaft off the car and you can take the spider off the splines of the shaft and get a proper boot on there. Do it nice or do it twice

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Will do mate, cheers.

PS - I removed the CV joint, the issue was I couldn't get a new decent boot in time so had to fit a universal (although now I've totaled it I should have just waited for a decent boot). The main issue was that re-fitting the joint I didn't fully seat it on the shaft, it was hung up about half way into the spider and just figured it would sort its self out..... which it did by ripping the splines off the end of the shaft (fark). Basically me being super lazy.

I just wasn't in the mood for doing anything today and should have left well alone .

TBH due to the s**t boot I had already planned on doing it for the 2nd time.... just not so quickly and not with a complete new shaft.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
So its been a long wait for parts.

Ordered a new Renault driveshaft from Ktec before xmas and it arrived a week or so ago. So Sunday was the day to just get on with it.

Managed to get new Renault alternator fitted in about an hour while box oil was draining

1611235529161.png

1611235554236.png

Jubilee clip around the tensioner worked a treat

1611235606504.png

1611235626149.png

1611235645408.png

Cleaned all the connection points well together with the main earth strap, these ground through the block so intermittent or poor connection (due to some pleb painting everything) will do the alternator no good at all.

With the box drained it was time to bash on the new shaft

1611235740745.png

I gave it a good coat with dinitrol clear so we shall see how well it lasts

Originally I bought a large syringe as I was going to reuse the nearly new fluid, so suck out of washing up bowl and squirt back in. On closer inspection the new fluid had a few brass sparkles, not too surprised as the box was freshly built so instead just refilled with fresh. Syringe worked well, will be using it in the future!

1611235869461.png

Wheel back on, everything torqued up

1611235915146.png

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
With the car rolling again, and the battery charging there was just enough light left to attach one of the nice battery covers. I've had it for a few months but didn't (obviously) want to install it before fitting new battery and alternator.

1611236017335.png

I think it really tidies the bay up well

1611236051628.png

ECU cover back on

1611236079955.png

Need to give the bay a wash when the weather warms up but its looking alright.

Anyway, took the car for an MOT yesterday and finally it passed with no advisories. Driving really well! made it all the way there and back with no EML coming on which is very odd for the little Clio.

Next jobs are to clean under the arches and refit the liners so I don't ruin all the work. Then its all getting aligned. Spacers on order, so once alignment is done the new wheels are going on.

Once it warms up a bit I'll be sorting body and interior but for now I've got a legal Clio once again :cool:

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
Just finished reading this. Well done mate, seriously impressive work.

It’s given me a bit of motivation to sort the rear beam out on mine as it was a little crusty when I did a suspension refresh last summer.

Love the 2118’s. Will look mega on them!