ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Covid182 the longest clutch change ever

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Just finished reading this. Well done mate, seriously impressive work.

Itโ€™s given me a bit of motivation to sort the rear beam out on mine as it was a little crusty when I did a suspension refresh last summer.

Love the 2118โ€™s. Will look mega on them!

Thanks very much :) I've got to say that the rear end on these is super easy to work on, a lot let daunting when your ender it and realise it all just falls out with two bolts haha.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Had to head into the office yesterday evening so took the Clio. Suspension has settled a fair bit now.

Despite completely guessing at the toe and camber it drove really well, 40 miles in total of mixed driving. By the time I got home it sounds like a heat shield has worked its way loose a touch so will need to get under and have a look. Desperately need to fit arch liners but now obviously will need to scrub everything before they get fitted, drove home at midnight ish and they had gritted a few of the larger roads :mad:

Very angry with myself that I didn't take the opportunity to install a few small mods such as a lighter flywheel and longer 5th. I think once this round of lockdown is through Grp N timing and a remap are in order.

Wonder if a longer 5th can be installed with box in car?

Anyway, before leaving needs a good wash! I will satin black the grill when its not so miserable outside and have a good number of parking dents to fix.

1611314210268.png

Will indeed Zack, not sure which to go for, the scenic conversion looks like a bit of a chore?
Just go for spacers mate, itโ€™s nothing you couldnโ€™t do but youd have to bleed the brakes again and you need a new o/s handbrake cable for the n/s and lots of other little things. I mean it looks good under the wheel though ๐Ÿ˜…

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Thoughts on brake balance? Will you run with it and see what its like or are you planning to have an adjustable bias setup?

Also, my front pads feel just about bedded in and feel absolutely brilliant went with M1155's so far zero squealing and once you have a little heat in them they have a really nice progressive bite.

Thoughts on brake balance? Will you run with it and see what its like or are you planning to have an adjustable bias setup?

Also, my front pads feel just about bedded in and feel absolutely brilliant went with M1155's so far zero squealing and once you have a little heat in them they have a really nice progressive bite.

Yes bias valve fitted. Remember that larger caliper piston(197 caliper) = more fluid required to clamp brakes which is more pedal travel. Its a big disc at 274mm but my setup is basically a 197 complete setup inc mc bore size. Now theres the possibility of going laguna mk1 with separate rear disc/hub which is a smaller disc, I think its 263 or something. But I havnt had the spare joint health to take things apart and see if it bolts up same as scenic.

IMG_1479.JPG

IMG_1480.JPG

01RS,03 EP3,99 Evo 6
Just have read the whole thread :) Great job ! I had the same thing happened to my alternator. From now on i always have an fire extinguisher on the car...

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
After a spell of no updates I had a number (and still have more grrr) of jobs to get done on the car.

First up I have been avoiding fitting my new wheels with good tyres on because the tracking was unknown - I've been running the same budget tyres with ancient PS3 rears on the car since purchase but neither seemed to dead after nearly 15k.

A quick google for local companies with a hunter machine showed Abbey Motorsport as being one of the nearest.

1616371463409.png

1616371453273.png

Cool place and nice people. Tracking wasn't too badly out, asked for 5mins toe out and 1.75deg of camber but the printer was broken - a few days later and it seems I didn't quite get the camber I was after

1616371542752.png

Car drives well with new alignment - very stable however I lost the lovely turn in that loads of toe out gives, equally the car is much less twitchy at speed now.

I will get the car to a mates who has nice camber gauges once we are free, suspect 1.75deg neg and 10mins toe out at the front would be a decent compromise for what is supposed to be a fun road car.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
With the tacking done I had no excuses left.

@Yorkshire Pudding had kindly sold me a set of bargain PMS front wheel spacers as the 2118's I have are ET43. So I bought longer wheel bolts (wish I had just bought the studs!) and a rear spacer set from PMS.

1616371827846.png

While I was at it I gave each wheel arch a quick scrub with TFR to remove wintery salt muck, earlier work seems to be holding up well. Front spacers went on pretty quickly

1616371905439.png

I fitted cheap rear pads because I wasn't happy with the Chinese knock off calipers I had bought a year earlier in a panic, last week one of the pads broke up spitting the friction material, pad backing plate and spring retainers all over the road. Because I need the car this coming week I had little choice but to suck it up and buy a pair of new rear calipers from ECP, I already had some red stuff rear pads waiting and made sense while fitting rear spacer kit as it would all be off anyhow

1616372046046.png

These were coated with dinitrol high temp clear before installing - lets see how it holds up

Now - I know PMS are the boys but I'm a bit meh about the rear spacer kit and front longer bolt kit. The longer bolts have a 17mm head while OEM Renault are 19mm so not I have to use two different sockets to do anything with wheels (should have just bought the stud kit) but more importantly the rear spacers were a long way from being flat

1616372185345.png

Some marker and a quick scrape shows what I mean

1616372209887.png

1616372218067.png

High spots like that aren't great and may well be a possible reason some people have had failures like @ZachB - if the hub rocks about the bolts will fatigue and break as his seemed to have done.

45mins of 240 grit on a new and pretty flat grinding stone

1616372319761.png

Worth a quick check for anyone fitting these, a new Stanley blade is pretty straight and will quickly highlight any high spots

1616372370037.png
1616372378596.png

Once you have them flat rubbing them together will again highlight problem areas

The red circled areas are low - this is much better than they were
1616372470518.png

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I did 4 rubs on 240 grit and rotated by 45deg, you can get things fairly flat by doing that carefully to within 20-40 microns or so if your careful beyond that you need to be really careful and have very good surface

1616372609244.png
1616372620647.png

This is how they ended up, not bad, you can still see a slightly low corner but I don't think that will be an issue, more importantly I didn't want any small high spots for the spacer to rock on.

Ready to fit

1616372695942.png

Terrible shot with spacer installed - just before refitting disk and new calipers

1616372760844.png

Renault brake bleeding life

1616372777773.png

New wheels on and I'm happy

1616372820715.png

1616372829371.png

1616372836904.png

Keen to see how these Hankook V12's cope with warmer weather and some abuse - I am expecting to swap to something else at somepoint but these are an immense upgrade over what came off! The Eastwood silver paint is holding up well too, I've had the front brakes very hot several times and they are still silvery (after a wash)

1616372965110.png

Next up, I need to refit the fuel filler cap because it makes the car looks doggey as - sort out some gear stick slop, refit arch liners and then begin to sort body work out - car park dings etc. Its also absolutely filthy! Driving really well at the moment so can't complain!

Also need to do some reading up on scrub radius etc. The mild tracking has helped lots with the slight bump steer and torque steer the car had after lowering it however the spacers + tracking have killed the nice turn in, and made the car quite dead about center so would be keen to try and get some of that back without loosing the current stability.

Future Rob problems.

Last edited:
Seeing this Im going to have a look at them, isnt ideal now that one has possibly been damaged but might see something.

Re alignment, thats more toe in than standard settings and you have more camber so you will definitely lose some turn in, read up on how camber effects tyre forces, the more neg camber the more the wheels will want to travel inwards, which is why you need more toe out.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I think its close to standard camber no? Think standard toe is between 5 and 10mins out front. Mine 100% needs more!

Suspension setup is something i desperately need to read up on. My thoughts were that I could do with more negative camber with 15" wheels as the tyres walls will move more?

I thought it was less than 1? Getting figures around 0.5 on search. Although 'the search' isnt exactly reliable lol.

I will delve into suspension geometry sometimes, but as I have no way to put it in to practice or trial things out I just stop reading, cant sponge information.

I can tell you that fitting 15's especially with 195/50 will decrease the mechanical trail and make the steering more lighter, couldnt say how much though.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Sent the pics off to PMS and had a call back a few hours late - lovely bunch.

Nick has taken various spacers from different models and carefully looked at them all using their surface plate + a light (1000% better than me using a steel ruler), looks like mine were unusually bad however all of the others he has looked at are flat to within a thou (which is just fine for this app).

I think its quite telling that he instantly inspected what they had to hand, they obviously care deeply about quality and thats a fantastic thing. Other companies would have likely just ignored the email.

I would still encourage people to check spacers etc. for flatness before installing no matter where they have come from - but as said it looks to me like mine one a freak and others purchased and manufactured by PMS should be fine.

Ph2 172, R34 Skyline
Great thread Rob, love being able to smash through a good thread from start to (almost) finish in one hit.

Credit to PMS but also credit to you for coming back on the thread and posting positively about the response you received and the reassurance it's not a issue across all batches of the product. Many people would just post the issue and not the solution which is a shame.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Great thread Rob, love being able to smash through a good thread from start to (almost) finish in one hit.

Credit to PMS but also credit to you for coming back on the thread and posting positively about the response you received and the reassurance it's not a issue across all batches of the product. Many people would just post the issue and not the solution which is a shame.

Thanks very much!

Yes Nick at PMS didn't have to call up for a pleasant chat but he did and that counts for a lot, he didn't sound miffed or make any accusations about the straightness of my ruler either, just calmly explained what he had done to test the others they have and his explanation was more than good enough for me (y)

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Not much to report other than one of the exhaust mounts slipping out of the bracket and a vac blacking plug popping off the inlet leaving the car idling at 4000 rpm all the way through traffic over Kew bridge last week - No one seemed to care just saw it was an old Renault and carried on.

After a year of no washes it was time however to get the sponge out. Just a quick one as I need to do a fair bit of work on the body before calling it good. Also tested out some Bilt Hamber auto wheel cleaner which was ace, well recommended!

Ended up coating the car with TFR, then iron X before snow foam followed by bucket with soap - I can't be bothered to do any waxing etc as the car needs a few parking dents sorting followed by a good machine polish however I would like to ceramic coat it once all thats done as I'm not a regular car cleaner!

1617564983691.png

1617564996413.png

1617565006899.png

1617565016031.png

1617565024873.png

Should be much better after a good mopping, this is the general finish at the moment which isn't as bad as some cars I've seen but a long way off decent!

1617565089986.png

1617565101519.png

Still have the filler cap to re-install and a load of other small bits, ideally want to spend a few weekends over summer sorting interior out, rattles, steering wheel refurb and give the carpets a good scrub.

Happy Easter!

Rob

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Happy Easter, car is looking great after a wash! Btw I had similar idle issues from a sensor that popped out managed to get back in and sorted but very annoying. Can you get a bracket made up to secure them.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Happy Easter, car is looking great after a wash! Btw I had similar idle issues from a sensor that popped out managed to get back in and sorted but very annoying. Can you get a bracket made up to secure them.
There is a trader on here selling them. ๐Ÿ‘

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member

Luckily it was a silicon blanking plug which fell off, I've removed the carbon canister so this is the manifold take off from that - it was a decent fit but perhaps a little missfire popped it off. Temporary hose with bolt in the end is the current fix.

Most annoying bit other than the drive in traffic was the adaptions obviously changed so the car was annoying to start for a few days - all back to normal now though.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Luckily it was a silicon blanking plug which fell off, I've removed the carbon canister so this is the manifold take off from that - it was a decent fit but perhaps a little missfire popped it off. Temporary hose with bolt in the end is the current fix.

Most annoying bit other than the drive in traffic was the adaptions obviously changed so the car was annoying to start for a few days - all back to normal now though.
Just loop the vac round from front to back of engine (acoustic to carbon canister)