ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cr33do and Meek_Racing's track car project

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Cheers for the race timetable guys.

Yep- the catches aren't a nice job. Should get ten finished tomorrow as I bought some new cutting disks today:)

Have cut the underskin of one already so one more to go then drill the fixing holes add a lick of paint to the bare edges and we are done. Phew!

Awesome looking build
I need to get an oil cooler fitted to mine now as it's getting REALLY hot on track - think I'll be copying your mounting idea ;)

don't solidly mount the oil cooler and don't use self tappers, i hate those polo rads, no good for a road car IMO, find on a hero car, don't go hammering M8 bolts through it eh ;)

Hahah nonsense! Mine sat in traffic all weekend - 32c and it never overheated once
And the m8 bolts hammered through it work a treat for fan mounting ;)

FF BG 182
Awesomee Project thread will keep an eye out.... Currenlty in Afghan waiting to return to start spending my pennies, looking at doing a simular project got some great ideas thanks
Marcus.

P.S Cup_Phil is yours on throttle bodies ? was yours the one getting the inside sprayed at andy's Auto Treatments last week ? cheers

Awesomee Project thread will keep an eye out.... Currenlty in Afghan waiting to return to start spending my pennies, looking at doing a simular project got some great ideas thanks
Marcus.

P.S Cup_Phil is yours on throttle bodies ? was yours the one getting the inside sprayed at andy's Auto Treatments last week ? cheers

Certainly was - I've got a progress blog - check it out :D

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Today I finished off the job I have working on during the week - the aerocatches.

I managed to cut out both inner skins (allowing clearance for the nuts) and drilled the 4mm holes required to fix the catches. The dremel cutting disk, although quite fragile, produced quite a good finish:

13d8daf5.jpg

I then filed any rough edges and applied a lick of paint to the bare metal. Following this I gave both sides of the bonnet a good wash down to remove any grinding dust (it gets everywhere!). Finally, I fastened the catches in place and was glad that job was over:

4657814e.jpg

I'm pretty chuffed with the final fit to be honest. The time Mike and I put in to measuring it all out paid off. The catches do fit flush, line up with the profiles in the bonet and create next to no distortion in the surrounding panel area :)

fa12b0c9.jpg

The only small job left to do is fine tune the strike pin and bumpstop height but that can wait for final fit of the bonet after the engine is dropped back in.

A 10" slim line electric fan has also turned up so I will fit this in the week. It came with some plastice zip-tie esque fastners but i notice most people use bolts to fix them? Not sure what to use to be honest. I have used the plastic things before but didnt really test the reliability of them because i ended up selling the car 2 months later.

Only other (non essential) job remains - remove the rear exhaust section and pass it to Mike to make a change to it's appearance.

Again, thanks for reading,

Nick

TrackCar & F30 330d
Neat job on The catches!

Just bolt the fan to the rad, Fred will no doubt kick off but the plastic fasteners are just poo.

Really neat job on the catches :) Worth taking the time to get right as they always look bad if not done well!

I would personally bin the plastic fittings for the fan, they were pant's on mine and kept coming off, I've just used some M5 stud and then tap washers just to allow for expansion :) Seemed to work okay and hasn't shifted/damaged the rad even when the temp got to 104

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Nothing too exciting to report but thought I might as well list it in the project thread anyway.

I was due to remove the rear exhaust silencer this evening but im afraid it never happend. I wheeled the car out on the drive, jacked it up and loosened off the rear mount. Next up I the rear to middle section bracket was removed. All going well up to this point. I then tried removing the rear section but despite my best efforts it was stuck fast! I'm not normally one to swear that much but ******* *** that exhaust ****** me off! - lol. With the engine out the whole exhaust was just swinging around so I couldn't leverage it againt anything else. After about 1hr I gave in - a job for the ramp me thinks.

As i had the car jacked up I set about replacing the middle mount as that was broken - see below (new v old):

887117e9.jpg

Replacing that little bit was a nice little job in itself. It took me a while to realise that our exhaust bracket has a screw in spacer/washer to prevent the exhaust slipping out of the mount - cunning!

The exhaust now sits quite nicely. Im not sure for how long as I thing i have heard the centre mounts are a bit weak - bit like the rears I suppose.

One question. Should there be another mount near the front (around the CAT)? I think we have a K-TEC stealth system, around 2.5" bore, with a sports Cat and 182 manifold. All i can see, mount wise, is the rear mount (for the tailpipe/silencer), centre mount (which i have just replaced) then all that remains is the manifold bolting to the cylinder head.

Nick

Clio 172 Cup Racer
Where did you get the fan for your radiator? Is it one of the slimline ones off eBay for around £20?

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Yes. Exactly that. It's cheap so we will see how long it lasts but I thought it was worth punt.

Havent fit it yet but it shouldn't take long. Might be able to squeeze a 12" fan on the rad but I was unsure if the mounting points/shroud would be larger than the rad.

Will put some pics up over the weekend

Clio 172 Cup Racer
What happened to the update on the rad etc?

Got mine fitted now with fan etc. Also got Pure Motorsports front and rear rose joint kits fitted. If my car handles anything like K-Tecs cup car I got a go in on Sunday, I will be well chuffed.

First shakedown will be at Donnington on 26/7 for an evening trackday. Cant wait. :)

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
What happened to the update on the rad etc?

Got mine fitted now with fan etc. Also got Pure Motorsports front and rear rose joint kits fitted. If my car handles anything like K-Tecs cup car I got a go in on Sunday, I will be well chuffed.

First shakedown will be at Donnington on 26/7 for an evening trackday. Cant wait. :)

Really sorry, I forgot all about uploading some details. Truth is I still have to fix the fan to the rad. It's the last job we need to do and then when we get then engine back we can drop it straight in. Mike - remember the M5 penny washers if you can.

We rate the PM stuff too. Their solid top mounts and brace combined with whiteline ARB made a huge difference to our car. Good luck with the shake down. Cannot make that one as I am away on hols.

RB 182
Just a little tease at what I've been doing today.

Had the cam cover cleaned, casting splatter removed and smoothed down, and then a mild acid dip, wash and hung to dry in our powder coating booth for an hour. More pics to follow ;)

101_1689.gif

All masked up ready for some paint... I used M5 bolts and a washers to mask the stud fixing points. I was a little worried that the paint would settle once the bolts were torqued down, so this was my failsafe. We will probably paint the bolt heads or I might have them chemically blacked if there is enough time.

101_1691.gif

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Blast! I was hoping to see the finished product :)
Nice prep work though!

I have finally pulled my finger out and fitted the fan to the rad tonight. Just need to get some penny washers tomorrow to displace the pressure on the rad fins.

Mike - can you get an electrical connection for our new fan please? Obviously, it's 12 volts but not sure how many amps load it should be able to handle? Would prefer a connector just incase we need to remove the fan in the future and therefore not have to cut wires each time.

No doubt speak tomorrow;)

Looking good :)!

I used rubber tap washers on mine just to allow for expansion in the rad but I don't know if that was the correct thing to do!

I run a 10" fan now and it's rated to 11amp's so I need to get a 15A connector I guess your's will be similar :)

RB 182
As Nick keeps reminding me, I for once brought home the connectors. I also found some 5mm penny washers but one seemed to escape during the day...

101_1711.gif

As mentioned yesterday, I had the cam cover baked in our oven today, it will still need a few days to cure hard but good results :) The orange is a bit more darker in person, sorry for the poor camera pics.

Primer:
101_1692.gif

Top coats:

101_1703.gif

101_1708.gif

101_1709.jpg

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Mike- That looks really nice on my phone. Also, you know you mentioned about the breather plate fitting hole looking different to the plenum. The spare plenum in your garage might be from a ph1 which I think is different. So, it should fit our propper one:)

Just sat on b&q car park about to buy some washers - lol

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Finished mounting the fan to the radiator tonight. Due to recommendations by others I chose to use bolts rather than the plastic ties shipped in the box. M5's fit through with ease i used the supplied sticky rubber pads to allow for a little bit of expansion. Looks like the connector Mike has got will be perfect for the fan too:)

c6ab38f4.jpg

I also removed the now redundant bonnet release mechanism and cable; something I have been meaning to do for ages.

Dont think there is anything else left to do now before the engine comes back.
One question. Do people reuse the coolant pipe spring clips or ditch them in favour of jubilee clips?

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Update #19 - Engine!

I had to search in the wilderness to be able to revive this project build ;) Big update below though - so worth the wait.

Yesterday Mike and I travelled see Fred @ BTM Performance, who over the period of the last x months had been building our new engine. It was to be a good day as the engine was finished - waiting in the workshop for the both of us on our arrival :)

After a bit of a chat with Fred we loaded the engine, fluids and a load of other miscellaneous items in to the back of the car and headed home. Now seems a good enough time as any to attempt to summarise what we have got:

Bored and Honed block to suit-
Wosner 83mm (2012cc) high comp (12.8:1) forged pistons
Vel Satis/F4RT rods
ARP rod bolts
New bearings/seals and oil pump
Cat Cams 438 camshafts (we supplied)
Polished/minor ported head (from old engine) with new stem seals and re-lapped valves
New belt and VVT pulley with oversized tensioner (to suit skimmed head)
New valeo clutch
Probably lots of other stuff that i have forgot about/Fred will know.

We are all hoping that it should go pretty well and make a nice noise whilst doing it!

DSC_0383.jpg

This morning we started the installation by refitting the gearbox, starter, mounts, alternator and PAS pump.

DSC_0387.jpg

Typically, when we were ready to start putting the engine back in the car the heavens opened :( Rather than sit waiting for it to stop we decided to use this time to measure up a few bits an pieces that are required to complete another little side-line project Mike and I have been working on recently. More info about this in future updates hopefully.

Anyway, the skies cleared late in the morning and we were able to crack on :)

DSC_0392.jpg

By the end of the afternoon we had the engine in, most of the sensors plugged, driveshafts in and wheels back on. It sounds easy when you write it like that but it was a bit of a job getting the engine in to be honest. I remember when we removed it that it was tight by the chassis legs but putting it back it in is definately harder! I think the hoist went up and down at least half a dozen times getting the exhaust manifold around the starter motor whilst, at the same time, getting the gearbox past the chassis leg.

DSC_0394.jpg

DSC_0397.jpg

I think we are 70% there. Off the top of my head we need to finish tidying/fastening the loom, fit inlet and filter box, install hoses then fill all the fluids.

Btw - the rocker cover is painted with VHT - Hemi orange. Its quite a good finish but the colour could be a little stronger to be honest. Still, looks lots better than it previously did.

DSC_0399.jpg

Hopefully by next weekend we should ready to briefly fire it up on the drive before heading out on the roads to break it in.

Thanks for reading,
Nick (and Mike)

Lionel Richie
you haven't blocked off the breather plate, you have to otherwise the thing will idle at 3000rpm! I did tell nick!

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Dont worry, it's on my things to do list. I have the pipe. Plan to do it before the plenum goes on.

Lionel Richie
you have to fit the pipe BEFORE you fit the plate to the rocker or you'll knacker the paint, i hope you haven't already sealed the plate on!

Clio 172 Cup Racer
Looks like we have missed each other this year! I have just decided to take the Clio off the track for this year to concetrate on the winter rebuild ready for next season. Engine spec sounds good, would be nice to catch up some time to compare notes :)

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Yes, most definately catch up. Hopefully we should be ready to have it mapped in 3-4 weeks time so will start to look at track days then. Squeeze a few in this year and then blast it next year. Sure we will both attend the same event given time.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Woo. More done tonight.

Filled gearbox oil
Filled engine oil (need to top up)
Installed coolant hoses
Installed PAS hoses (need to make bracket for low pressure line to fix to new rad)
Installed ECU and loom connection
Blocked carbon canister pipes
Wired new fan
Fastened exhaust manifold

Still need to install inlet/plenum and airbox but hopefully should have it ready to fire up by the weekend