ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CTR to 172

Hello All,

I was a type-r owner about 8 months, but had to sell because i was buying a house. I was made redundant in december and got a good chunk of money, which basically put me back in the market for a car - i swore blind i would buy another type R, but i find myself relunctant to part with the 13k to buy one cash. I think it is becuase i am scottish and my instincts are kicking in (you knoe being tight and all !) anyway i am weighing up the option of spending £8500 on a mkII 172 and keeping some money for other things ..... my question is, has anyone on here been a type R owner and switch to a 172 ??? have you been just as satisfied ??

Any help or advice would be great thanks

Col

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

Hi and welcome.

In answer to your question ... Not that I am aware but plenty have gone the other way. :D

The 172 is a cheap CRT in my mind as greeper says people have moved over to the dark side and enjoy driving there bread vans round. In the end it comes down to the simple fact in my mind that people want a change so a CRT is a bigger slight different bigger type of car. Its not much quiker if at all just a bigger car

But its easy to see in my mind which to go for there £4500 of difference is a CTR worth that much extra may be if you have a family and the Clio a bit of a squash yes but even then £4500 is a lot of money.

I think about it like this how long would you have to work to pay for a CRT and is your time worth it for the car.

EDD

Ph1

You wont find a cheaper to run hot hatch than the 172 on a performance per mpg scale.....I can drive mine like a loon and it never dips below 30mpg and averages on normal driving 37 to 42 mpg. cheap to service too.

welcome by the way

320d M Sport

CTR can be had for £11K tho mate....

but yeah, both cars are really close.... 172 will be cheaper though.

Tappd'd RS

Im going the other way mate - Cup to CTR.

Sometimes a change is good, keeps things interesting!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

I have gone the other way too! Dont think youll be too disapointed with the 172 to be honest depends what you looking for. Both good in very different ways!

Its so difficult deciding, if it was just a matter of which car then i think i would choose the CTR, but when its a case of 172 + 5k or CTR and £0 then its more so much more difficult. Every time i think i have decided to buy the 172, a CTR comes round the corner and im all confused again :( its driving my fiancee up the wall .....

Suzuki SV1000S

mmm, When I was looking I test drove al the options even the Golf R32, gotta have a go eh! that was wicked! but anyway, it is all down to personal preference, Personally I hated the Civic, looks like an MPV and the gearbox location put me off. But all my mates prefer the gearbox. Just test drive all the diff possibilities and then decide.

And the Civic really isnt much faster if at all, My last car was a Cup and I was able to beat my Mate in his CTR a few times. About 50/50 in straight line races. Cornering, well Live in London so only place to race is the M-way anyway,lol

great car the civic a bit common now but build/reliabilty/great performance

looks like a door wedge ;) IMO

((BTW impreza wrx brandnew £16699 from motopoint.co.uk!!))

Suzuki SV1000S

yeah good choice mate, would def. go for Impreza or Skyline if I didnt have a renault sport.

Build quility is good in the Civics, however theere is a lot of plastic in there, In the one I test drove the door cars sounded like they were hollow when you tapped them and the rear was even worse.

Was there any difference on the 52 plates compared to the 51 plates ??

Oh and do renault do any performance mods that do not invalidate the warranty ... ie a chip or something ..

Col

I had a CTR for nearly a year but sold it as I got pissed off with the dreaded pulls to the right problem. I then got a Cooper S which had the most direct steering and quality feel of any hot hatch Ive driven but couldnt cut it in the speed stakes. Iv e had my cup for a couple of days and it is without doubt faster in real world terms than the CTR, as I found the CTR had bags more pull at three figure speeds than the cup but the cup is much more urgent at normal ;) driving speeds.

True the gearshift in the CTR beats any other car short of a 360 (imho) and it definitely feels more solid than the reno but if i were you i would go midway and spend about 9.5k on a second hand cup - dont buy a standard 172 - the cup is way more fun and personally I think the CTR of choice would be a 2004 model with the revised suspension geometry.

Hope this helps