ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cup does not stir my soul

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Turbos.
Roy Munson said:
One cannot argue with the facts. The MkII 172 has the lowest power/weight ratio of any Renaultsport Clio, and probably the sloppiest handling ;)

But the best drivers!

LY 200
Roy Munson said:
Yes indeed it does, especially when we are talking more than a second slower to the ton. 0-60 is so 1980, it's all about the Zero To Hero these days :D

Lol........Il still take the extra second instead of your dynamic seats though ta very mooooch!!! ;)

Last edited:
JayR said:
Lol........Il still take the extra second instead of your dynamic seats though ta very mooooch!!! ;)

Yep, the worst thing about the Cups (172/182) is the seat trim.

I'm considering aftermarket options :)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
pbirkett said:
It made perfect sense, I'm sorry you couldnt understand it.

I might pay a fiver if I felt it was worth it, but endless, futile discussions on whos faster than who that go around in circles perhaps lead me to believe it isnt worth it, I dont know...

You seem to be completely unaware of the reputation that clio drivers and this club seem to be gaining elsewhere, and its probably an unfair reputation for most, but these silly endless debates dont help. :dead:

The man's got a point!!

BTW, I have never had a RenaultSport overtake me:rolleyes: So that must mean a DCi is quicker in the real world :rasp:

LY 200
^^^Lol...........Were all friends here really!!!

And yes iv found them DCI's are the goats nads aswell in comp with the heavier sport...........Never as good as the cups though surely!!!

And pbirkett i go ragging my sport around every night, im probably the cause of our bad reputation!!!

Im pretty certain the majority of sport owners on here and the ones iv seen just out and about are pretty safe and sensible drivers. You'll get the odd muppet in any car!!!

Plus where is this poor reputation being built up exactly, barryboys!?

172, Tiguan
edde said:
Speed and HP arn't everything. The cup whilst good has its weekness which all Clios suffer from and thats feedback IMO.

Disagree with you there Edde. A lot. lol. :D

Nissan 350Z
JayR said:

And yes iv found them DCI's are the goats nads aswell in comp with the heavier sport...........Never as good as the cups though surely!!!

And pbirkett i go ragging my sport around every night, im probably the cause of our bad reputation!!!

Im pretty certain the majority of sport owners on here and the ones iv seen just out and about are pretty safe and sensible drivers. You'll get the odd muppet in any car!!!

Mate theres nothing wrong with ragging your car about, I do it myself. That doesnt make me a muppet or a chav any more than it makes you one. Like me, you probably just enjoy driving fast.

No that not where the reputation comes from. It comes from the amount of barried up Clios with big wheels and lexus clusters, and to an outsider coming on to this forum, it must give the impression of a fairly immature bunch who argue constantly about relatively small differences and it goes around in circles. Also people like our friend there who go calling people "little pricks" because I have the audacity to find his not very funny comment not funny....

Another forum I go on is pistonheads. And another is talkaudio, and I rarely see people resorting to sad little insults and stupid outrageous claims on those forums.

The Clio does have a chavvy image. That doesnt bother me, but the blame for it getting this image does fall at the feet of a certain number of individuals. Thats not say all drivers are though, but that is the perception.

LY 200
pbirkett said:
Mate theres nothing wrong with ragging your car about, I do it myself. That doesnt make me a muppet or a chav any more than it makes you one. Like me, you probably just enjoy driving fast.

No that not where the reputation comes from. It comes from the amount of barried up Clios with big wheels and lexus clusters, and to an outsider coming on to this forum, it must give the impression of a fairly immature bunch who argue constantly about relatively small differences and it goes around in circles. Also people like our friend there who go calling people "little pricks" because I have the audacity to find his not very funny comment not funny....

Another forum I go on is pistonheads. And another is talkaudio, and I rarely see people resorting to sad little insults and stupid outrageous claims on those forums.

The Clio does have a chavvy image. That doesnt bother me, but the blame for it getting this image does fall at the feet of a certain number of individuals. Thats not say all drivers are though, but that is the perception.

Ohhhhhh i see now mate, was thinking you meant sport owners rather than the bodykit boys. ;)

Iv gotta agree though hense my pisstakes in this thread that it is silly, some people though just like a good banter but some others like your new found best pal take it overboard..........Thats the way of the world though!!!

Golf 7R
It stirs more than my soul....get her on an open b road and have a sweaty palms moment, stop driving like miss daisy, out of the whole 172/182 range its the most hardcore its the best flavour, and in my experience i have to say there is quite a considerable difference on the road wise performance, between the 172 cup and FF but im gonna say that, and let me tell you i dont miss xenons, bum chuff sweating leather or air con, ill rough it with a smile on my face!

172, Tiguan
Unless you have something constructive to add to this thread do not post in it.

Jon

Burgandy 174 sport t
lei69gh said:
It stirs more than my soul....get her on an open b road and have a sweaty palms moment, stop driving like miss daisy, out of the whole 172/182 range its the most hardcore its the best flavour, and in my experience i have to say there is quite a considerable difference on the road wise performance, between the 172 cup and FF but im gonna say that, and let me tell you i dont miss xenons, bum chuff sweating leather or air con, ill rough it with a smile on my face!

if thats the only thing cup drivers can put one over on the ff drivers that ur car is a whole .01 of a sec faster ffs and pay the same price as a ff u must have been at the back of the que!!

if any cup can pull away from a ff (both equal drivers) il eat my hat!!!

R35 GTR
Roy Munson said:
171bhp/ton 0-100 16.5
154bhp/ton 0-100 18.5

The figures say there is a difference. I love how the MkII 172 owners are in denial. The difference may not come to much '"in the real world" but it's there whether you like it or not. How can an 80kg diet and a revised setup not make it quicker? Just come to terms with it - the MkII 172 is the slowest RenaultSport Clio ever made ;)

Thats why i stripped the rear seat/spare wheel.....and upped the bhp, now mine is on par if not above a cup.plus i have climate control, abs.....:rasp:

R35 GTR
JayR said:

me too.:evil: I try and get it sideways round a couple of my favourite islands, and on the turn into my street i have had it on 3 wheels.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Big Iain said:
if thats the only thing cup drivers can put one over on the ff drivers that ur car is a whole .01 of a sec faster ffs and pay the same price as a ff u must have been at the back of the que!!

It's not all about 0.1s, why can't you get that?

It's the feel, the feedback, the absolute instant response to your steering and throttle inputs, the car moving about beneath you, telling you what's going on, egging you on, the noise, the harsh ride, and the fact that you can just play with it.

89kgs is about 14 stone - do you really think that carrying that extra mass makes no appreciable difference?

Do you own a hat? If not, best you go and buy one.

Golf 7R
Big Iain said:

Time and time again why is it that the cups consistently get the better times down the strip!!??

LY 200
^^^Who really cares!? Lol

Keep running your cup up and down a strip and watch it fall apart beneath you........At the end of the day cup or ff its still a Clio, not a racer of any sort!!!

Some prefer a the cup rawness, some prefer the lux of an ff, its all personal choice.

lei69gh said:
Time and time again why is it that the cups consistently get the better times down the strip!!??

Because they weigh 80+kg less. I love the FF 172 boys thinking they can cheat science. The 172Cup is faster in a straight line, has a more sorted setup, and will also benefit from weight loss dynamically anyway.

It's the fastest RS Clio built do date, closely followed by the 182Cup/FF but despite almost identical power/weight, they weigh more and will suffer as such.

Roy Munson said:
Because they weigh 80+kg less. I love the FF 172 boys thinking they can cheat science. The 172Cup is faster in a straight line, has a more sorted setup, and will also benefit from weight loss dynamically anyway.

It's the fastest RS Clio built do date, closely followed by the 182Cup/FF but despite almost identical power/weight, they weigh more and will suffer as such.

Someone that talks sense!!!

its quite simple really isnt it, im not saying ff's are worse cars but for me the "cup" was the one i chose after testing a 172 ff and 182ff.

Dont get me wrong i liked them all but it came down to a 172 cup or a 182 cup.

I thought ill save myself 3k and get the 172, the fact that i totally love mondial blue swung it for me at the time. (the others were flame red, black/gold)

since when is it 0.1 anyway, theres loads of different times ive seen. i thought it was:-

172 cup 0-60 6.5

172ff 0-60 7.1
each to there own

Golf 7R
JayR said:
^^^Who really cares!? Lol

Keep running your cup up and down a strip and watch it fall apart beneath you........At the end of the day cup or ff its still a Clio, not a racer of any sort!!!

Some prefer a the cup rawness, some prefer the lux of an ff, its all personal choice.

Erm....i do! hence me purchasing one, having a bit of leather underneath you and lights that ultimatley blind ppl...its hardly luxury!

who cares

full fat if you want a car that's comfy

cup if you like paying the same as the comfy car, just without the comfort

LY 200
0-60 on ff 7.1........Cant be, thats makes a williams as quick doesnt it!!! ;)

I thought the cup was 6.5 and the ff was 6.6 anyways, books say different and as said a million times before anyway, being a renault there are fast/slow ones so you'll never get bang on all the time!!!

LY 200
lei69gh said:
Erm....i do! hence me purchasing one, having a bit of leather underneath you and lights that ultimatley blind ppl...its hardly luxury!

Good for you my friend........Enjoy your little racer wont you!!!

Golf 7R
And again thid word "comfort" comes up...my god, do you think that you sit astride a milk crate in the cup....i use it for everyday use and its "comfortable" enough!

None of it matters. Apples for apples, take any car and remove 80kg and come back and tell us it's not quicker.

JayR said:
0-60 on ff 7.1........Cant be, thats makes a williams as quick doesnt it!!! ;)

I thought the cup was 6.5 and the ff was 6.6 anyways, books say different and as said a million times before anyway, being a renault there are fast/slow ones so you'll never get bang on all the time!!!

just what i read mate, im sure losing all that weight amounts to more than 0.1 of a second

Golf 7R
JayR said:
Good for you my friend........Enjoy your little racer wont you!!!

Thats a typical arrogant spotty teenager response....bless!

Chill out, sit on that comfortable leather and stick that air con on!

Shaunbrass said:
just what i read mate, im sure losing all that weight amounts to more than 0.1 of a second

It amounts to maybe 1.5s to the ton. Not a great deal, but faster. The FF 172 is probably a better overall everyday car, but it IS slower even if only by a small degree. I'm shocked that some people here seem to think 80kg in a small NA hatch doesn't make a difference. Did we all go to school or was it just me? ;)

lei69gh said:
And again thid word "comfort" comes up...my god, do you think that you sit astride a milk crate in the cup....i use it for everyday use and its "comfortable" enough!
no, no milk crate involved, just baking in ques with no air con, no decent lights, ghey seats etc. I'm not a clio owner at the minute, and am not really biased either way, it's each to his own, but were not talking f1 cars here, what your getting for the same price as a ff is less car, simple as, I know where my money would be for the loss of a few milleseconds. It's each to his own though, but if I was after a motorway munching comfy car, it'd be the ff, if I wanted a hardcore 'drivers' car.....i'd get something other than a clio cup:rasp:

LY 200
lei69gh said:
Thats a typical arrogant spotty teenager response....bless!

Chill out, sit on that comfortable leather and stick that air con on!

LMAO ok mate, spotty im not but young yet arrogant i am, toward c***s like you......Dont see that as a problem really!!!

As i said enjoy. xxxxx

RS-1, Bebop, CTR
There's only two kinds of people I hate: people who argue about wich car is better and people who think their car is better than mine, lol

Golf 7R
Jays172 said:
no, no milk crate involved, just baking in ques with no air con, no decent lights, ghey seats etc. I'm not a clio owner at the minute, and am not really biased either way, it's each to his own, but were not talking f1 cars here, what your getting for the same price as a ff is less car, simple as, I know where my money would be for the loss of a few milleseconds. It's each to his own though, but if I was after a motorway munching comfy car, it'd be the ff, if I wanted a hardcore 'drivers' car.....i'd get something other than a clio cup:rasp:

If i was after a motorway muncher, id not buy any renaultsport to be honest :S

Status
Not open for further replies.