ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

definitive list of mods for Mk1 172

Be cool if we could get together a list of all the best handling and performance mods for 172s mk1 and 2.
Along with benefits, cost, places to buy and get fitted etc. would help us all who arent as technical as others.....just an idea

Renault Laguna Coupe

My 2p worth:
Springs: Eibach or Avo seem to be popular - my Eibachs are certainly great.

Zorst: Magnex cat-back oval or twin outlet whatevers you preference. Dont know of a de-cat solution yet.

Induction: Still waiting for the outcome of Nick Hills custom job as fitted to ak_uks car - it looks good if he can get a chip which can sort out the fuelling at high revs.

Chip: As above.

Wheels: take your pick there are loads, 17" seems to be favourite.

Tyres: much divided opinion; Goodyear F1, Toyo Proxes T1-S or even the standard Contisports believe it or not.

there still aint much for the 172.
in terms or suspension. only one koni kit i know of, well, and the bisstein coilovers...but nothing withing reason.
no thicker ARBs.

pads are the same as the megane coupe though.

just wait and more will come.

Im very pleased with my mods.

BMC Carbon Fibre air box with cold air feed
Magnex Cat back system
PI Springs
Koni Shocks

Things I will be doing:
Fit OMP front strut brace
Fit Decat pipe

Things for the future:
Unichip
Steel brake hoses
dot 5.1

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2

We now have 2 full cat back exhaust systems available for the 172 Mk 1 and 2. The first has a 5" by 3" oval tailpipe and the second has twin 3" tailpipes. Both systems are £270+vat and have a lifetime warranty. The next part we have in development is the 172 de cat pipe which should be finished next week and fit both models.

David.

Ktec: what are your fitting prices/labour and where abouts in the UK are you.

Magnex are still tempting me, whats the benefits of your system over the mighty Magnex????

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2

Dan K, benefits of our system over the Magnex. Quality and price to start with (£317 against £325). Our systems have fully welded boxes as opposed to pressed together boxes, they are fully mandrel bent and made from 304 stainless steel. There are 2 tailpipe options that dont look too big for the car. These are twin round 3" and a 5" by 3" oval. They carry a lifetime guarantee and dont knock on lowered cars. Admittedly some of these features are the same as the Magnex system but we currently have 2 172s, one with our system and one with a Magnex (soon to be changed)and I know which one I would rather have. Oh yeh, and I am a little bias towards our own systems just in case you didnt notice.

As for labour and fitting prics please call us on 01202 855020.

David.

172 Cup

Can we get photos of both systems? If possible can you email them to me?

Griff

griff_90@yahoo.com

David, K-Tec Racing.

Im sure you already know this but the phase 1 Clio 172 has two different cat designs. The cats are of different length and the last batch of cars have got two Lama sensors.

This obviously means that you will need to different decat pipe designs for the phase 1 and also ideally you would need a telescopic front section for the exhaust system.

Just letting you know because this has caught many suppliers and customers out !!

Simon

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2

Simon, thankyou for your note about the different cats fitted to the cars. Luckily we now have a Mk1 and Mk2 172 to develop parts on. As you said they do have different cats on them but the pipe which the cats are welded into look to be of the same dimensions on both cars. Our de cat pipes will also have two lama sensor fittings one of which will be blanked off on the earlier cars.
Renault dont like to make things easy!

David.

David @ K-TEC,

Could you make me a stainless steel Mk2 172 exhaust that didnt have a tailpipe that exited out of the bumper but instead looked standard/factory? If so, how much would it be?

Also, what springs/air filters have you tried and recommend for the Mk2 172?