ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Hexlogic pads and Menzerna.

Great combos. Clio paint is pretty hard but for basic polishing, White pad and 106fa is so easy to use.

3 dots, spread at speed 1 for a few seconds to coat the area, 3 dots again turn speed to 5 and do slow passes working the polish.

Brilliant finish.

Cheers Gally. I'll get some ordered :)

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Need to sort out ordering a few bits.

I know I want -
G-Techniq G5
Bilt Hamber Clay

Open to recommendations -
IPA - Eraser?
Drying Towel - i4D Uber Drying towel?
Selection of applicators (MF Pads, Foam Pads etc.)
Lots of new MF Cloths

I think that's it.

Need to sort out ordering a few bits.

I know I want -
G-Techniq G5
Bilt Hamber Clay

Open to recommendations -
IPA - Eraser?
Drying Towel - i4D Uber Drying towel?
Selection of applicators (MF Pads, Foam Pads etc.)
Lots of new MF Cloths

I think that's it.

Eraser is good, or GTechniq panel wipe.
I4D Uber is a great towel. I have a few ;)
MF pads, just go for Megs ones, Andy. Same with the foam applicators.

Is auto glym clay bar any good need to get one I have never clay bared before ?

It's fine as a mild clay. There are slightly better quality ones out there, but I tend to find (other than poly clays) they are much of a muchness.

Clio 182
Eraser is good, or GTechniq panel wipe.
I4D Uber is a great towel. I have a few ;)
MF pads, just go for Megs ones, Andy. Same with the foam applicators.

It's fine as a mild clay. There are slightly better quality ones out there, but I tend to find (other than poly clays) they are much of a muchness.

Cheers. car needs it badly what other one can i look at that's about the same price

Cheers. car needs it badly what other one can i look at that's about the same price

Go to advice blurb is; Bilt Hamber Autoclay with diluted Demon Shine as lube. Great clay, cheap lube (can be had in ASDA for great cheeeaaaapppness).

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Doesn't need Lube apparently.... Just water according to the sales pitch.

Mito Sportiva 135
Instead of lube just use a higher than average solution of warm water and an average car shampoo - a bit of lubrication definitely helps. Make sure to keep folding the clay to try and ensure you're not scraping removed contaminants back over the paint.

Doesn't need Lube apparently.... Just water according to the sales pitch.

It doesn't but there's no harm using a cheap lube, such as the Demon Shine above or shampoo as old timer Brand86 has suggested.

This is correct, ive done it although the last time I used demon shine from asda.

Instead of lube just use a higher than average solution of warm water and an average car shampoo - a bit of lubrication definitely helps. Make sure to keep folding the clay to try and ensure you're not scraping removed contaminants back over the paint.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Yeah I think I'll slap some QD in with warm water when I clay, Just seems wrong not doing so.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
A couple of questions please clean freaks...

Brand new set of chromed Alfa Romeo wheels (£££!) and the guy obviously wants them protecting before fitment. What shall I get for him?

I am now wanting to move on with regards to paint correction and Ideally I want to pursue my efforts with my DA. Obviously doing basic valeting for a living I don't have time to do 3 stage corrections. So I'm looking for a one step polish (or as close to as possible!) that gives good solid results. I mainly work on fords/vauxhalls/VW/Seats. Someone on the internet said something abount Menzerna (sp) but i've never heard of or used their products. Advice??

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Thank you J, appreciate your effort.

I already have P1 and whilst I love it, I was wondering if there was anything else?

I also assumed Gtecniq (sp) would be recommended for the wheels. Kind of a given really! lol

Thank you J, appreciate your effort.

I already have P1 and whilst I love it, I was wondering if there was anything else?

I also assumed Gtecniq (sp) would be recommended for the wheels. Kind of a given really! lol

Are you looking for correction Dan? If so, Menz 203s is very versatile. But I would personally go for an AIO, based on what you do/time you have. Tripple will make the paint pop out at the customer and make it look like you've spent days on the car. Seal it up nice with something like AGHD or C2V3 for ease of use. Really is lazy detailing, but works ever so well. I use the latter on mine. I honestly see no point in correction any more. If it passes my eye test, it'll sure as hell pass 99% of others'.

Last edited:
  Golf GT & A4 Avant
I honestly see no point in correction any more. If it passes my eye test, it'll sure as hell pass 99% of others'.

I've come to believe in this recently. Regardless of my washing technique, just gerenal use and others around the car inflict more swirls than my washing so I've given up. I plan to make one more attempt at corection when I seal the cars with a nano sealant but loosing interest if that doesn't significantly reduce damage

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Correction on a heavily used daily is hard to keep but I've managed fairly successfully with mine and it hasn't been corrected in 18months now. It's far from perfect but it's good enough. Garage queens it's more than worth it though, and just doing it because I enjoy it makes it more than worth it.

Quick question, how much do you lot dilute Megs Quik Detailer? I have a 5L bottle of it & I think I used to do it 5:1 - does that sound right?

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Are you looking for correction Dan? If so, Menz 203s is very versatile. But I would personally go for an AIO, based on what you do/time you have. Tripple will make the paint pop out at the customer and make it look like you've spent days on the car. Seal it up nice with something like AGHD or C2V3 for ease of use. Really is lazy detailing, but works ever so well. I use the latter on mine. I honestly see no point in correction any more. If it passes my eye test, it'll sure as hell pass 99% of others'.

I want some correction mate yes. Like you, if it looks good to me with a coat of Tripple/SRP then it will be ok for customers. But for the cars that are really bad, I'm looking for something that's easy to work with, can be used in one step and can be used effectively with a DA. I'm not looking for 100% or even 80% correction, just an improvement and the ability to sell the car! Lol

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Say for example you have a car. You machine it to almost perfect leaving only deeper marks in the paint. If you then used srp or tripple to fill those remaining defects.

Coat that with a ceramic sealant and will you have a car that's 99% spot on and protected from further defects?

Say for example you have a car. You machine it to almost perfect leaving only deeper marks in the paint. If you then used srp or tripple to fill those remaining defects.

Coat that with a ceramic sealant and will you have a car that's 99% spot on and protected from further defects?

Yep, for a couple of months.

Ceramics need a 100% oil free surface to bond correctly, hence the IPA wipedown before application. You'll either remove the fillers from SRP/Tripple with the IPA wipedown, or you'll have wasted spending a few £££ on the ceramic sealant.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
So he ceramic sealant won't last as long over tripple then?

Better off topping a good durable wax every few months?

So he ceramic sealant won't last as long over tripple then?

Better off topping a good durable wax every few months?

Not a case of "as long", will barely last at all, from what I've read fella.

Wax won't be as durable or provide anti marring properties.

RB 182
When buffing off c5 I've read that the left over residue on your microfibre can crystallise, so you need to wash it straight after. Is there anything specific I need to use to stop this?