ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Ok guys planning on getting my car sealed and prepared for winter.

What would you use? Full decon will be carried out with IX, Tardis and Clay.

I have Tripple, Rejuvenate, Tough Prep, Tough Coat, C2v3, Temptation as well as a bunch of Waxybox samples :/

Too much choice for my brain to figure out what is the best route, Also have Eraser and the Nanolex sample from Waxybox so might slap that on the plastics.

Glass has G1 on it already although application may not have been perfect so might strip the rear screen and stick G5 on it as a test as I have just got that too :)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
About to order hyper wash as a snowfoam.

i know I'm obsessing over this but 5 litres is a long time to be stuck wi something I possibly don't like lol.

i like magifoam, but hate the smell and isn't available on cyc. I want a change too so is hyper wash the way forward or do I get avalanche?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
from watching the review from PolishedBliss they liked it but recommended it only for well protected or fairly clean cars IIRC. probably far better cleaners out there for that use

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/meguiars-hyper-wash.html

From CYC maybe consider Valet Pro Advanced Neutral Snow foam or their Citrus pre wash. Or Autofinesse avalanche or Citrus Power. All of these can be used through pump sprayer or foam lance.

Last edited:

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I currently use VP citrus wash on my car and I like it, then use magifoam.

My newest order has more VP citrus wash and hyper wash, but I do clean a lot of other cars that aren't that clean, but that's always before Il be polishing and protecting them.

also clay cloth - I really want one but its not on cyc :(

edit: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washi...pro-advanced-neutral-snow-foam/prod_1087.html

advanced neutral foam from VP. Any good?

Last edited:
  Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I currently use VP citrus wash on my car and I like it, then use magifoam.

My newest order has more VP citrus wash and hyper wash, but I do clean a lot of other cars that aren't that clean, but that's always before Il be polishing and protecting them.

also clay cloth - I really want one but its not on cyc :(

edit: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washi...pro-advanced-neutral-snow-foam/prod_1087.html

advanced neutral foam from VP. Any good?

I dislike AF Avalanche - I have about half a litre of it sitting in my collection that I doubt I'll be using again in a hurry, it does clean well, but I like the foamy clingyness, and that just doesn't cling at all. I also have Valet Pro Advanced snow foam, and thats my weapon of choice! Love the stuff.

If you want to try before you buy I could sort you out a small bottle of AF Avalanche if you want? Cover postage and it's yours

Ry

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Ry I may take you up on that although ive just read a write up about hilt hammer auto foam. And it seems to work better than magifoam. And for £17 its a lot cheaper too.

why so much lube Scrooge ?
Thought a bucket of shampoo to rinse it in was sufficient?

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Ry I may take you up on that although ive just read a write up about hilt hammer auto foam. And it seems to work better than magifoam. And for £17 its a lot cheaper too.

why so much lube @Scrooge ?

No worries, drop me a pm if you fancy it.

I also heard the clay sponges leave a lot more marrrring on the paintwork, so I guess the lots of lube is to try and minimise this.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Ok guys planning on getting my car sealed and prepared for winter.

What would you use? Full decon will be carried out with IX, Tardis and Clay.

I have Tripple, Rejuvenate, Tough Prep, Tough Coat, C2v3, Temptation as well as a bunch of Waxybox samples :/

Too much choice for my brain to figure out what is the best route, Also have Eraser and the Nanolex sample from Waxybox so might slap that on the plastics.

Glass has G1 on it already although application may not have been perfect so might strip the rear screen and stick G5 on it as a test as I have just got that too :)

Anyone able to lend an opinion on my dilemma?

No rush though as rain has stopped play, Got as far as claying whilst it was raining and now got to wait to see if it stops.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG

why so much lube @Scrooge ?

I use a small bucket with a fair amount of shampoo in at plus I spray diluted QD as I go. I'm a lot more careful with sponges and cloths compared to when I used clay.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Anyone able to lend an opinion on my dilemma?

No rush though as rain has stopped play, Got as far as claying whilst it was raining and now got to wait to see if it stops.

Full decon and prep with rejuvenate, seal with C2V3. Will be man enough in winter with the odd wash and top up of C2V3. Perhaps even get Hydro2.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
So simply decon then use Rejuvanate and C2v3? Easier than I expected then :)

C2v3 ok to spray on my wheels as I only have Poorboys wheel sealant otherwise and can't say I rate it much.

I'm running low on Iron X so if I place an order I may throw the Hydro2 in the basket as it seems quite the ideal product for the winter quick washes.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I use a small bucket with a fair amount of shampoo in at plus I spray diluted QD as I go. I'm a lot more careful with sponges and cloths compared to when I used clay.

but if your correcting afterwards...?

what cloth do you have?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Yep as long as you're careful with the decon stage, rejuvenate should be adequate to take any very minor damage caused by the clay and lay a perfect base for C2V3.

Do the same for you wheels and it'll be fine. Poorboys wheel sealant is uterly poor tbh. I used Sonax on mine and more than impressed!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
but if your correcting afterwards...?

what cloth do you have?

You want to cause the least amount of damage as possible, always. More damage, = less clearcoat in the long run. You'll be surprised at how many microns of clear coat can be damged by incorrect decontamination.

I have one that cost me £40 from someone on DW, not a clue what brand as it's still in the jiffy bag it arrived in. I'm using a decon sponge atm, same principle.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I understand that but I'm not seeing how a cloth could be so much worse than clay.

providing you de iron and tar and you use a bucket of shampoo I can't see it doing huge amounts of marring.

does the time and cost saved make it worth it?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Coby, as you have it I'd use tough prep instead of rejuvenate under a sealant.

Chemical guys mild clay mitt seemed to work pretty well but only used it on my car once which is never really that badly contaminated, plus I won't be correcting after every decon session so I want minimal if any marring left. They definitely feel better to use with more lube. It is considerably quicker than using traditional clay, but the material used I can see why it would cause more damage than clay

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Coby, as you have it I'd use tough prep instead of rejuvenate under a sealant.

Chemical guys mild clay mitt seemed to work pretty well but only used it on my car once which is never really that badly contaminated, plus I won't be correcting after every decon session so I want minimal if any marring left. They definitely feel better to use with more lube. It is considerably quicker than using traditional clay, but the material used I can see why it would cause more damage than clay

Only said Rejuvenate as he is claying and may inflict a little marring which rejuvenate will nip out.

Yep as long as you're careful with the decon stage, rejuvenate should be adequate to take any very minor damage caused by the clay and lay a perfect base for C2V3.

Do the same for you wheels and it'll be fine. Poorboys wheel sealant is uterly poor tbh. I used Sonax on mine and more than impressed!
yup, it was a real f*cker to work with on my wheels. I had pink bits here & there & it was a real mare to get off! I won't use it again.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Only said Rejuvenate as he is claying and may inflict a little marring which rejuvenate will nip out.

The paintwork was heavily swirled before claying, Really just looking for whichever will hold up best over winter and in spring I'll look at getting the paint corrected.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I understand that but I'm not seeing how a cloth could be so much worse than clay.

providing you de iron and tar and you use a bucket of shampoo I can't see it doing huge amounts of marring.

does the time and cost saved make it worth it?

Even claying marrs the paint so that cloth could be wild. I really don't like the idea of it for some reason.

Oh and citrus wash will affect lsp Jaff. So you know.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Even a ceramic coating gally ?

my reasoning for wanting a cloth is because it takes less than half the time, and when I clay I always polish afterwards so the only downsides to it would be potentially taking more an i need to off the clear coat

Golf GT & A4 Avant

IIRC rejuvenate and toughprep had similar levels of abrasives and fillers. Although applying by hand I personally didn't notice much cut at all compared to machine. I didn't find it lifted as much dirt as rejuvenate

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I had 4months from it on my winter wheels before I took them off the car, were still protecting then so worked pretty well.

Have you not got a wax or sealant already that's fairly durable to use n both pai t and wheels?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Even a ceramic coating gally ?

my reasoning for wanting a cloth is because it takes less than half the time, and when I clay I always polish afterwards so the only downsides to it would be potentially taking more an i need to off the clear coat

Well sort of. It depends what the coating is. Some ceramic coatings use a topping for performance. Citrus will ruin top ups.

My Strata like old C1 doesn't have a top up product so slightly different.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
I had 4months from it on my winter wheels before I took them off the car, were still protecting then so worked pretty well.

Have you not got a wax or sealant already that's fairly durable to use n both pai t and wheels?
How would mint rims compare to something the the Poorboys one Dave?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
As above really, there hasn't been many wheel sealants that perform well but mint runs did pretty well, as did colli 476 and FK1000. But then see my thread on proper wheel sealants with nano / quartz coatings.

Miss N, you could use C2 on wheels, pretty sure chappers uses it on some of his details

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks guys. I actually have C5 in my garage somewhere. Which I'll use next year when I get my wheels refurbished, so I just wanted something for the time being really.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Thanks guys. I actually have C5 in my garage somewhere. Which I'll use next year when I get my wheels refurbished, so I just wanted something for the time being really.

Poorboys does work, so is better than nothing. I'd compare it to one of the £10 waxes you can buy in Halfords, better than nothing, but pretty pants.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
I was using C2V3 on my wheels for a while but didn't find it overally durable due to the temperature the wheels are subject to. It does work well for a few months but over the winter I would go for mint rims or FK1000p personally.