ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I would add, I don't rate those cheap ebay ones for nice waxes. If you're first into detailing then fine, if not I still love the Megs 2 pack yellow apps.

The bilt hamber ones are a lovely size and the Swisswax ones are the best i've used. Sadly ££.

MF ones are okay off Cyc/i4d etc but the megs ones are still superb.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Will be for Wax and Tripple etc...

While you guys are in here, wax £150 max.. Hit Me!

Edit: Something that will last more than 5 Minutes.. The DDJ I have atm doesnt last very long tbh..

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Swisswax Shield. User friendly, lasts superb, smells amazing, boutique feel. Possibly pick up a pot on DW 90% full for £80.

The fact PB have no stock shows how well it is reviered. Similar to Glasur it punches above it's weight in the range and for the price range of boutique waxes I don't think much can top it. I would recommend it over Glasur these days more so because of it's ease of use. Glasur is immense and it's niche is it is still pretty old school.

Oh and if you're buying a nice wax get a nice applicator. MF app for tripple mate, gives bite.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Swisswax Shield. User friendly, lasts superb, smells amazing, boutique feel. Possibly pick up a pot on DW 90% full for £80.

The fact PB have no stock shows how well it is reviered. Similar to Glasur it punches above it's weight in the range and for the price range of boutique waxes I don't think much can top it. I would recommend it over Glasur these days more so because of it's ease of use. Glasur is immense and it's niche is it is still pretty old school.

Oh and if you're buying a nice wax get a nice applicator. MF app for tripple mate, gives bite.

Thanks mate, will grab some Swisswax Shield then!

If im going to get back into this detailing crack I might aswell jump in at the deep end!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Angelwax desireable £60. Supposed to be same formula as the original autofinesse desire with the original launch of 20. I don't know about the newer desire formulas but my original would always hit 6months. And as for wax applicators, he autofinesse waxmate and other puck style applicators always make waxing much nicer and easier.

With tripple either use a MF app or the tri foam / German style pads

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
For "polishing" foam apps are great. AF do a nice one as do Gtechniq. For cleansing MF offers more bite for engrained dirt.

All very fussy! That's me.

Those waxmates look large Dave.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Their diameter fits nicely inside the standard sized 200ml pots like DDJ, AF, Zymol etc.

Having the full surface of the applicator primed with wax spreads nicer and being able to hold it from the top helps with a nice even coverage. It's not world's apart from using a standard foam app but it's the little things that just make waxing so much more pleasurable

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
FYI I decided to save the homebrew for the gf's new car in March. Did a 50/50 with desire and glasur instead. It was so nice to get glasur out again, I can't remember when the last time I used it was, it really is lovely stuff :)

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Tunst

You're not getting very long from Dodo Juice?! What one are you using and how are you preparing the paint before applying the wax?

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
@Tunst

You're not getting very long from Dodo Juice?! What one are you using and how are you preparing the paint before applying the wax?

Last time i used it i got about 2 moonths before it stopped beading and looking good etc..

Last time applied it..

Foamed
Rinsed
2BM
Rinsed
Iron x
Rinse
Tardis
rinse
clayed
hand washed again
rinsed
dried
srp
wax

i think thats it haha

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
The G1 experienced, What is wrong here?

Poor prep?
Poor application?
Poor removal?

Water beads off nicely but I notice these weird marks and are very obvious when condensation is there, It was my first time using it and I seem to have done something slightly wrong :(

e4e4ujuv.jpg

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I went over it with Crystal as I thought that may be the case but I now have a bottle of Eraser so should I give it a wipe over with that?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Really need panel wipe/IPA to remove the rest....maybe some Vodka! ;)

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Also looks like some of that condensation is inside?

I can't say condensation is too bad on this car, Definitely better than my Clio was... Did give the inside a very quick wipe over with Crystal yesterday so may be a little smeary.

Not a 320d
If you had 3M or AF Glass cleaner you could use that as both are IPA based. Always give my G1 a wipe over after application for this reason.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Just gave it a wipe over with Eraser so will see if that makes a difference, If not may have to strip it back and reapply and immediately after application give it an IPA wipe over rather than weeks after initial application.

Not a 320d
when the new rupes bigfoot mini coming out? Keep seeing Paul's updates on facebook banging on about how f**king awesome it is.

Quite want to go back to DA and MF pads now my rotary is fucked but is £400+ a bit much for something I use once a year?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Can tough coat be applied over wax?

Will it shorten the life/reduce the protection of the wax, will it add protection/longevity to the wax... Or Is it best applied to bare paint?

i'd be using it in between proper cleans to top up protection.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You think he pays for his Bigfoot? For the money it's probably the most unimpressed i've been from a polishing machine.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Use the TC mate. It's got lots of Carnauba in it hence the separation when left.

The rule of thumb is sealant then wax, that changes when it's a spray sealant. :)

HTH

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Sealants typically will partially strip or React with what ever they go over, which is why most like bare paint or a specific primer. Do that over a wax and you have a combination that won't mix well resulting in shortened durability and performance.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Use the TC mate. It's got lots of Carnauba in it hence the separation when left.

The rule of thumb is sealant then wax, that changes when it's a spray sealant. :)

HTH

Sealants typically will partially strip or React with what ever they go over, which is why most like bare paint or a specific primer. Do that over a wax and you have a combination that won't mix well resulting in shortened durability and performance.

cheers but mixed messages, is it ok to use TC in between proper washes (which include stripping and reapplying LSP) as a top up after citrus power/a ph neutral shampoo? I give my car a proper strip down and decontamination every 2/3 months. I'll use CP and or a ph neutral wash in between every now and then.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
What's the worst that can happen? It's just a spray sealant. It'll be mint mate.