ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Arctic 182
Hi all, just wondering if someone could confirm this as being the right order to do things please. I'm slowly building up a good cleaning kit & learning, but nowhere near detailing level! Also, how important is tar remover in these steps as I haven't got that yet!
Thanks,
Chris.

Clean Wheels (Hot Wheels)
Wash (2 Bucket, BTBM, Meg's mitt/MF noodle)
Rinse (Hose)
Iron X
Rinse
Clay (Bilt Hamber) First time use when it arrives!
Dry (MF Uber Yellow & 2 Purple Monster's)
SRP
Wax (DJ Rainforest Rub)

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Hi all, just wondering if someone could confirm this as being the right order to do things please. I'm slowly building up a good cleaning kit & learning, but nowhere near detailing level! Also, how important is tar remover in these steps as I haven't got that yet!
Thanks,
Chris.

Clean Wheels (Hot Wheels)
Wash (2 Bucket, BTBM, Meg's mitt/MF noodle)
Rinse (Hose)
Iron X
Rinse
Clay (Bilt Hamber) First time use when it arrives!
Dry (MF Uber Yellow & 2 Purple Monster's)
SRP
Wax (DJ Rainforest Rub)

Its pretty much correct. I'd give the car a blast with the hose before the wash to get the loose stuff off too. Tar remover is quite important before claying, as you will be dragging the tar along the cars surface rather than letting it dissolve with tar remover. I would 100% recommend a tar remover first.

also make sure you use plenty of lube for the claying :) Post up some pics when finished

Arctic 182
Its pretty much correct. I'd give the car a blast with the hose before the wash to get the loose stuff off too. Tar remover is quite important before claying, as you will be dragging the tar along the cars surface rather than letting it dissolve with tar remover. I would 100% recommend a tar remover first.

also make sure you use plenty of lube for the claying :) Post up some pics when finished

Thanks mate, appreciate the advice. Looks like I'll have to order some TARdis then! I've got a spray bottle for tap water as I've read that will be ok for Bilt Hamber? Will do, looking forward to it. :)

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Thanks mate, appreciate the advice. Looks like I'll have to order some TARdis then! I've got a spray bottle for tap water as I've read that will be ok for Bilt Hamber? Will do, looking forward to it. :)

If you have any Quick Detailer, I'd chuck some of that in there. If not, a light shampoo mixture in the bottle would be better. Some people say water is ok, I'd rather not take the risk for the sake of a blob of shampoo.

Arctic 182
If you have any Quick Detailer, I'd chuck some of that in there. If not, a light shampoo mixture in the bottle would be better. Some people say water is ok, I'd rather not take the risk for the sake of a blob of shampoo.

I'll pop some BTBM in there then! Thanks again for the advice, appreciate it.

Twingo Dynamique
I recently bought the edgeless purple monster.. the 40x40 cm one. as my first experience of a drying towel (after a leather) i was very impressed. I liked the edgeless-ness aswell!!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
You can get an uber towel from cyc too?
got 3 purple monsters coming too, gonna use them as finishing cloths though

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
also does anyone know how to get the VP ph neutral snow foam to go thick?

I cant seem to get it as think as people do. going exactly how the bottle says, 300ml to 700ml of warm water in the CYC snow lance. used on my nilfisk conti

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
G3 isn't harsh enough?! It virtually has gravel int! Dilute it less and try it that way mate.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
also does anyone know how to get the VP ph neutral snow foam to go thick?

I cant seem to get it as think as people do. going exactly how the bottle says, 300ml to 700ml of warm water in the CYC snow lance. used on my nilfisk conti

I use a lot more intelligent method. Couple of inches of foam and top with water. Give it a shake and boom. Cant say I use warm water though

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
G3 isn't harsh enough?! It virtually has gravel int! Dilute it less and try it that way mate.

I have only put 3 small pea sized blobs on the pad and worked it properly. doesn't even touch it, I can still see all the marks.
I thought Id do three sets and still made naff all difference :( its either been repainted in german glazeric lacquer which is a one shot deal or I need to get the wool mop out.....

didn't even bother to spray qd on the panel. 3m fast cut just got laughed at.

I use a lot more intelligent method. Couple of inches of foam and top with water. Give it a shake and boom. Cant say I use warm water though

I'll give that a go. first time using the lance properly after the other pressure washer didn't like it

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
not to hand, its like a mist layer of something on the laquer ( like someone has sprayed QD and let it dry in the sun) . cant feel it by hand, clay bay doesnt pick it up.

had to wet flat a scratch out on the door, couldnt even take all the flatting marks back out, and ive only used 2000 grit.

its either the G foam pad ( white one with yellow backing ) is to soft or i need more speed. been working it with plenty of passed at 1500-1800 rpm ( rotary )

2000 grit is not exactly a high grade chap. Flatting should be 2-2500 followed up by 3k and 4k before polishing, so no wonder you can't get the marks out.

And if FC+ can't shift the marks, they're either below the lacquer or your technique is incorrect.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
G3 will take out 1000 grit marks of you work it properly but as jd said you really should be working up the grades to 4000 to do it properly.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The thing a lot of people forget is you'll take less lacquer off going through the grades properly than firing into 1000 grade with FC+ or G3.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Indeed. Bodyshops really use because of time constraints.

You two watched the first episode of the new Drive "Inside Bentley" show? Saw a guy wielding a massive wool pad and angle grinder on the front wing of a finished vehicle and shuddered. Lol.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Nope I haven't seen it, I will do for giggles though, I've only ever had to use a wool pad once but the paint was like actual granite on one panel.

Have you seen the new Mazda 6 advert? The paint on that car winds me up.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Right, im just about to start stocking some stuff for next year as I have nothing left, other than some DDJ, SRP, and some other Auto Glym stuff, which aint great so will probably throw out....

I have never used any AF product before so I dont know whats great and whats not..

So to start me off so far I have in the basket:

2 Bottles of CP on the BOGOF offer
1 Bottle of Iron out
1 Bottle of Obliterate
1 Bottle of Imperial

With the above...

Iron out or Iron X?
Obliterate or Tardis?

Im going to spread orders out over time so I feel better about spending a fortune :rasp:

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
@Tunst

Iron X and Tar x from Car Pro. They're the best. Get AF lather, it's a good wax safe non gloss enhancing shampoo. Imperial is good. As is cirtus on the BOGOF offer. I'd also add AF tripple.

CS75 is the carpro discount code for 7.5% off.

Do you have clay? If not get bilthamber.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Scrooge

Alright, il go for Iron X and Tar X from Car Pro...

So now I have

2 Citrus Power
1 Lather
1 Imperial
1 Tripple

What a good product to use to strip off old wax etc?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
If you decon properly you will strip off any old wax left.

Auto Finesse Rejuvenate will take care of any oils etc ready for you to add your wax/LSP

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Fair enough, il see how I get on..

I need applicator pads and Microfibres next as all mine seem to have done a runner...

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
gally

Did you ever get any durability results for that high-end home brew you made? Just found it in the fridge and might give it a go!

Ah indeed I do. It ran on my Brothers car for 2-3 months, heavy miles and no washing. Also on my bosses Porsche for over 3 months, small miles and garaged, I eventually stripped it for testing others.

Can't complain. I like topping it with a carnauba spray. Field Glaze etc.