ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Golf GT & A4 Avant
It will add a little extra protection but not much. It's a normal QD, not a protection top up.

Use as most QD's. On a dry car lighlty mist the panel, spread around then buff off.

When used as a drying it the panel will be wet? Therefore the water will dilute the product making it less affecting.

I have a used bottle I was going to sell on if you want to try before buying a full bottle

Twingo Dynamique
when you talk about using a QD as a drying agent... how do you mean?? the stuff i have says to not allow it to dry on the car?? :S

Golf GT & A4 Avant
After rinsing the car it can leave a lot of standing water on the panels if it doesn't sheet off. The wet panels can be listed with a water based QD, this will help encourage some of the water to bead off leaving less on the panel, but will also add lubrication when using your drying towel. You can then also try and sheet off more water with a hose before drying

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
It will add a little extra protection but not much. It's a normal QD, not a protection top up.

Use as most QD's. On a dry car lighlty mist the panel, spread around then buff off.

When used as a drying it the panel will be wet? Therefore the water will dilute the product making it less affecting.

I have a used bottle I was going to sell on if you want to try before buying a full bottle

cheers, what would you recommend as a protection top up in between 'proper' cleans?

If you think it'll suit what I want it for then yeah I'll buy it off you, but I'm not really after a QD, I want a spray on protection too up that will bead/not affect the beading of my current wax.

Cheers :)

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Good call, awesome beading too. Just more expensive but worth it to stop drying damage.

Gally any opinion on my question, you must know someone whos used them?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Just looked back up the page there... Personally from the light play, I prefer them to the megs ones but I prefer hexalogic for some reason. Just wht i'm used to I guess. I would say the harder the paint the more they come into their own.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
It's only £20 for the pair so may just get them tbh

Saying that, my last order from chemical guys still hasn't turned up, they haven't replied to email and I ordered it on the 16th.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Do you know what Dave's like. Order from CYC if you want CG stuff. Lovely place to walk into and speak to Dave but not sure I would order.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Finale is a wax based quick detailer, it will add the mildest of protection and maintain a wax base. it will bring back a little of the waxes beading as it also cleans the surface very well. If you want an AF protection option then you can consider toughcoat over the top of a dropping off wax, but its make up might have an affect on the wax base, and will then perform as per the toughcoat.

if you want a proper wax based top up look at zymol field glaze or sonus carnuba spritz, but again this will replace the original wax performance. As Scrooge has said, simple and affective option is to use something like reload, C2, sonax BSD as a quick top up but this then will replace any performance from the wax.

If you want something that is going to have minimal affect on your wax base, then a wax based QD like finale is your best option.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Z6 is pretty good at that also. Wax based ones like Field Glaze and Sonus should replicate the beading anyway.

Clio MK3
I am looking to bring back the life in the front plastic on my car, such as the grills and possibly the plastic trim running along the doors? My car is a MK3 Clio, which the plastic looks pretty dated (Grant it's an 06 plate), anything I can purchase to 'rejuvenate' the plastic, such as a spray? All help is much appreciated! :approve:

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
If it's your grills you'd be better off with a spray so as Dave said Dressle or maybe 303.

For flat easy plastics panels then AF Revive IMO.

FF 182
Thinking of getting some C4 to restore the exterior trim. Would Verso do to prep the trim before applying the C4, and if so anyone recommend a dilution? Would like to get the best result from C4 so would like to prep the trim well.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I'd go with a wash down with Verso if you have it then a wipe over with IPA... Something like Carpro Eraser.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Connor19, AG dressings looks nice, but as soon as the forecast shows rain it's already started to run and where off.

Amberlamps, APC is a good start but the plastics should be fully de greased, anything microscopic left on the plastic and it won't bond at all and will be a waste of product. After a good scrub with APC I'd look into IPA / carpro eraser / panel wipe etc

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Be very thorough from what I've read as prep is very very important, I'm sure Phase1sr put a few pics up of him using it.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Thinking of getting some C4 to restore the exterior trim. Would Verso do to prep the trim before applying the C4, and if so anyone recommend a dilution? Would like to get the best result from C4 so would like to prep the trim well.

I used washing up liquid 1st, dryed the plastic off then followed by Eraser.

Half treated with C4.

20130914_171314_zps904a2a12.jpg

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Connor19 auto finesse revive is very good, I tested it against dressle early December iirc and it's still beading well. The gloss has died off, it looks more natural now but still repels water.

Finale is a wax based quick detailer, it will add the mildest of protection and maintain a wax base. it will bring back a little of the waxes beading as it also cleans the surface very well. If you want an AF protection option then you can consider toughcoat over the top of a dropping off wax, but its make up might have an affect on the wax base, and will then perform as per the toughcoat.

if you want a proper wax based top up look at zymol field glaze or sonus carnuba spritz, but again this will replace the original wax performance. As Scrooge has said, simple and affective option is to use something like reload, C2, sonax BSD as a quick top up but this then will replace any performance from the wax.

If you want something that is going to have minimal affect on your wax base, then a wax based QD like finale is your best option.

I think I'll get finale, I don't want to replace the wax performance, in just want to 'prolong' it a little.

if I get tough coat, I may as well just wait for my quarterly detail in which I strip everything off and reapply rather than topping up the protection.

do reload, c2 and sonax bsd act like 'gard x' conditioner? I.e. After you clean the car, you wash it again with the conditioner and it makes the water bead and sheet (albeit very poorly being gard x).

FF 182
Never thought of using washing up liquid! Btw, whats the deal with Eraser, does it have to be rinsed off or will it just evaporate after rubbing it over the trim?

Cheers.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Never thought of using washing up liquid! Btw, whats the deal with Eraser, does it have to be rinsed off or will it just evaporate after rubbing it over the trim?

Cheers.

Dont get the washing up liquid on you're cars paint work, my bits of trim i did in the kitchen sink.

Spray on the Eraser and wipe off with a cloth, job done.

Don't go touching the trim with you're fingers after you have cleaned it.

FF 182
Yeah, i'll probably just cover the nearby paint areas with some newspaper, or plastic sheet. Just winter prepped it a few weeks ago so don't wanna remove that. I'll wear some marigolds when cleaning and take em off when applying the C4 :)

So Eraser is just a wipe off job, grand!

Cheers again.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Think you need to do some research before you jump in with C4, get it wrong and it either looks awful and is a PITA to remove or simple wont bond. The plastics need to be 100% spotless for it to bond, and if you fractionally over apply or leave to long it hazes and then is very difficult to remove.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic product and will always recommend it, and use it myself, but it can't be looked at in the same way as a normal trim dressing.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Don't discount it, just do your research and watch the application videos first. Or find someone local that's used similar coating type products to help you out. I recently did the front grille on my A4 and didn't notice I missed a small spot when removing, now see the slight hazing everytime I wash the car

If you do feel it's not for you, Autofinesse revive is a good performing dressing

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
AF Revive is a decent temp trim restorer, I have a sample of a Gyeon which iirc Gally rated quite highly, AF also have Dressle but reading a few reviews on here seems more suited to arch liners, engine bays and grills.

I'm very new to detailing so have limited knowledge but I have revive and like it compared to some crap I was using for years from Turtle Wax or someone :eek:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
You got me worried now lol. Say i were to abandon the C4 idea then, what would be the best non permanent trim restorer?
@Yellow Dave

Yeah mess it up and theres no going back, you're trim will be scrap.

Don't panick, watch the youtube video and follow it step by step and you will be fine.

FF 182
Don't discount it, just do your research and watch the application videos first. Or find someone local that's used similar coating type products to help you out. I recently did the front grille on my A4 and didn't notice I missed a small spot when removing, now see the slight hazing everytime I wash the car

If you do feel it's not for you, Autofinesse revive is a good performing dressing
@Yellow Dave. You see, i was going to attempt the front grill on the clio, but its pretty intricate. Think i'll just go for Revive tbh. I don't mind having to do the trim periodically, i have been for a while with some cheap shat from Halfrauds.

Oh well at least that way i'll save some money :)

@Coby. I'm just getting into detailing as well and trim restorer isn't something i've looked into tbh. Just used some s**te from Halfrauds as above :headno:

@Phase1sr. Sod it, just gonna go with the easier, and cheaper way :)

But thanks fellas for your input!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
For the front grilles, dressle will save you a lot of time over revive. Bumper / wing mirror trims etc revive would be better.

Or watch the videos, be thorough with prep and very precise with application and give C4 a go.

FF 182
I'll have a shufty through some videos then. Would obviously prefer the C4 route, but not bothered about doing the trim on a regular/ish basis.