ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Last day of Jan sales at Extreme Gleam such as Angelwax Desirable for £43 along with a fair few AF products at good prices.... Just a heads up for anyway who may want to make some purchases.

RB 182
After playing around and getting used to my DA with AF Tripple and a black Hex Logic pad, I'm now looking to delve into the different pad/compound world a bit more to try and eliminate some swirls.

I've had a look around online and I'm thinking of ordering the following:

Menzerna 203s with orange Hex Logic followed by Menzerna 106 with either a white or black Hex Logic.

Are these combos okay/good? Any help is appreciated :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Orange hex is very course. Try white with 203s and the right technique first.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
No. 106 is still a polisher. 85rd is their finishing polish I believe. 203/106fa are sorta similar.

203s on a white hex is a one stage. You shouldn't really need refining at that stage. It's great if you have time though. :)

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I found RB quite tough to correct, would have to work forever to get any sort of correction with a light cut pad/polish. I went for a more coarse and got much better results.

RB 182
No. 106 is still a polisher. 85rd is their finishing polish I believe. 203/106fa are sorta similar.
203s on a white hex is a one stage. You shouldn't really need refining at that stage. It's great if you have time though.

Thanks I'm with you now. When you say refining, could I add a glaze into the mix after 203/before waxing or is it null and void?

(Sorry for all the questions, as much as I like to use the DA I still don't know half of what I can and can't do in terms of combinations)

I found RB quite tough to correct, would have to work forever to get any sort of correction with a light cut pad/polish. I went for a more coarse and got much better results.

What did you choose to use pal?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
You know I can't remember lol, white hex pad with menzerna rd3.02 I think as just recapped my memory by looking on PB lol. They are abrasive but the results I got were spot on after wasting my time with af tripple.

RB 182
You know I can't remember lol, white hex pad with menzerna rd3.02 I think as just recapped my memory by looking on PB lol. They are abrasive but the results I got were spot on after wasting my time with af tripple.

Haha, cheers mate :) When I used Tripple whilst getting to grips with the DA it made a nice shine but there wasn't really any correction present, that I could see.

Think I'll go with a white pad and 203s as gally suggested and go from there.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Give it a go. Give "junkman DA polishing" a google. Watch his video and practice.

Use a glaze afterwards on the black pad to add some slickness. Ez creme glaze, prima amigo 2 of the best. Amigo is super slick.

You don't work them just spread them over the panel via DA and remove them time to wax/seal.

RB 182
Give it a go. Give "junkman DA polishing" a google. Watch his video and practice.

Use a glaze afterwards on the black pad to add some slickness. Ez creme glaze, prima amigo 2 of the best. Amigo is super slick.

You don't work them just spread them over the panel via DA and remove them time to wax/seal.

Yeah, I watched his videos whilst waiting for the DA to arrive over Christmas, so think I've got a good understanding of how to apply/work the polish.

I tried to buy prima amigo when ordering the DA from CYC but it was out of stock. Will invest in a bottle soon.

Thanks again :) I'll report back soon with the outcome.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Yellow Dave I used the Spirit sample I picked up from you last night, it's lovely to work with.

Smell is amazing too.

umenade3.jpg

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Porsche looks nice, what base/prep did you do? Don't tell Kyle 86 it was easy, we all know what he thinks to AF waxes! Lol.

Keep me posted with the performance of BSD on your bonnet, and Kyle, as I'm interested to hear your thoughts

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Porsche looks nice, what base/prep did you do? Don't tell Kyle 86 it was easy, we all know what he thinks to AF waxes! Lol.

Keep me posted with the performance of BSD on your bonnet, and Kyle, as I'm interested to hear your thoughts

Haha I couldn't stop smelling it. Glad u approve of it Ry & enjoyed it last night

And yellowdave the sonax BSD is beading brilliant :)

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Porsche looks nice, what base/prep did you do? Don't tell @Kyle 86 it was easy, we all know what he thinks to AF waxes! Lol.

Trusty Tripple was underneath, only put the 1 layer of wax though.

My bonnet looks hilarious at the min, will grab a pic

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Interested to know for how long the water behaviour last over a coating base. Especially when application was less than ideal last night

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Also has anyone spoke to car pro about the performance of finest? I can't see the putting out a shitter product than Cquk for their detailers.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
tried reload over finest yes. lasted about 2 weeks.

the only thing that got the performance up to what id expect was a wipe down with eraser every few weeks, which is effort when you see videos on youtube of peoples cars with a 2 year old coating, no reload ever applied and it looks like it was applied yesterday

and yes i spoke tot andy, to be fair he sent me some eraser to try, and it worked but like i said im not willing to wipe it down every few weeks potentially doing more harm than good. ive lost intrest since and not bothered sorting out a warranty claim or anything

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
im being harsh with 2 weeks, it was probably more like a month - nearly.

the eraser was after a wash when the reload had worn off. this again laster 2-4 weeks before perfformance dropped off again. after that i lost intrest and i was moving house etc. car hasnt been cleaned since october lol

i will say finest makes cleaning the car easier, so its obviously doing something. i just dont get the water perfformance

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Shame really :(

when you do clean it again, eraser it the apply reload afterwards, hopefully that makes a difference!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
yeah may do. depends if i get rid or not tbh.

my megane wont be getting anything like that on it, ill be waxing that, certainly not worth the extra money for finest

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Have you tried reload over finest?

I have, and like Jaff. I found it didn't last very long. I have tried waxing over it too, and Hydr02 but nothing seems to last very long. After an APC wash down its alright for a week or two, but not great. In a car park, I'd walk past my car and think 'he needs to put some protection on that'.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Im looking at getting some new wheels so before they go on i may as well get them sealed up. Im looking ad using Car Pro Cquartz UK edition due to the fact that you can get a 10ml sample bottle which is half the price of the other options.

Question is, will 10ml do 4 x 18inch wheels?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Depends on the design, but 10ml GTechniq C5 coated the 4x 17" wheels front and backs on our Focus. Wheels can be found in my thread I put up about using a proper wheel sealant. The more you use these type of products the less you find yourself using

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I'm in a hard water area and if lazy can suffer from worse spotting than shown in their video, but a wipe with a good quality QD sees off any staining. I know it can be worse with coaings but I don't think it's something I'd ever need.

Mec 350 slk manual
A detailing question for yellow Dave if you could help please , what is the best stuff to clean a ph1 172 seats and dash trim
thanks
martin

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I use a diluted all purpose cleaner like tesco's daisy, or look at the recent details with autofinesse verso to clean interiors. I never really had the need to use any more than a damp cloth to clean the leather and alcantara

Mec 350 slk manual
I use a diluted all purpose cleaner like tesco's daisy, or look at the recent details with autofinesse verso to clean interiors. I never really had the need to use any more than a damp cloth to clean the leather and alcantara
Thanks yellow dave