ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Either I'm doing something wrong or Ultra Glaze is very poor at masking swirls, Cannot tell the difference between untouched, 1 pass and 2 passes.

Do I abandon UG and continue with AM Details Glaze sample?

i tried it on a deepish scratch on a 172 today (pictures to come) it filled the deeper bits a little but it made the shallower parts of the scratch unnoticeable.

I found it added a decent gloss to the car though

SRP is no more of a polish than tripple, both are all in one type products with very minor polishing, more of a chemical cleaner. Good filling and glazing oils with a little of its own protection

they are both great for quick touch ups before waxing to cleanse the paint but won't do much else
OK cheers figured as much, I'll leave it until I get the DA, on a positive note it still repels water nicely, just looks s**t :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
How much do people generally charge for a full detail?

We've just registered her Lupo GTi here and I said I'd get it detailed for her as a gift as she's been without her 'baby' for so long.

Its a piece of string question to be honest.

Someone who does it for a job will charge upwards of £250 but a hobbyist will be cheaper.

Ive done little details for members and friends which all took me around 13 hours for a minor enhancement.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Ultra glaze on a scratch. Just seeing how hosting on Flickr works tbh so I don't look a tw*t posting a write up with broken links

How do you host from Flickr?!

oFPFCX

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
How much do people generally charge for a full detail?

We've just registered her Lupo GTi here and I said I'd get it detailed for her as a gift as she's been without her 'baby' for so long.

Do you live anywhere near Bristol??

got any pics?

Ahh nope sorry - will try and get some :)

It basically just looks like you've left a bit of polish on, it's a little smeary/hazy :)

I narrowed it down to leaving it on for too long before buffing off, and then not being able to buff it off (didn't want to rub too hard for fear of damaging paint, so only did it lightly).

DA should be here Tues, then I'll sort it hopefully this weekend :].

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Have you used it yet? Definitely a step in the right direction from their original waxes. Feels just like illusion it with claims of better durability and cheaper it's going to put an end to soul and passion IMO. Reckon I'll be buying a little sample pot off Kyle86 if he lets me

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Persevered with the UG, Thinking maybe using Rejuvenate first may have already masked some of the swirls? as I wasn't getting much to show from 50/50's :(

Anyway.

Paintwork - AF Lather, Autosmart Tardis, AF Iron Out, Farcela Clay Mitt, AF Rejuvenate, AF Ultra Glaze, DJ Purple Haze Pro, AF Finale.

Wheels + Tyres - Megs Endurance and AF Tough Coat.
Glass - AF Crystal
Plastics - AF Revive

Quick iPhone pics so a bit s**t sorry.

epa2a5e6.jpg

8ehu3are.jpg

za4ubysu.jpg

eqa8a3yt.jpg

ave7unan.jpg

Just ordered some Hydro2. What are peoples suggestions for prep first?

Car last has Glasur on it about two months ago so not really any protection on at the minute.

It was a while since I used it, but the more prep you can do the longer it'll last :]

Get my DA tomorrow, hoping to give it a go over the weekend!

DAS-6 Pro with Menzerner polishes + Hex-Logic pads in the end.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Carbon will always be a good choice at any budget, but for the feel and application I just think essence and illusion are fantastic

It's definitely old school. Newer peoducts are definitely easier to apply, to a point anyway.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Are you de-tarring x2? Then IX?

What are you hoping to remove with the clay?

If you really sre looking for more bute, either BH medium (normal) clay or try a new clay cloth.

CarPro or Autosmart sell the blue edged ones. I've been very impressed.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
You shouldn't really be relying on the clay to remove the contaminants TBH. A mist of tat remover left to dwell, as it starts to dry mist again. Then mist a MF applicator and wipe down each panel. On cars that have never been touched before this has always worked well and a fine gentle clay will remove the remains

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Are you de-tarring x2? Then IX?

What are you hoping to remove with the clay?

If you really sre looking for more bute, either BH medium (normal) clay or try a new clay cloth.

CarPro or Autosmart sell the blue edged ones. I've been very impressed.

detarring as much as necessary then ix as much as necessary.

Im just after removing any stubborn bits the TARdis/ix missed/didn't remove. On the past three cars I've done which have never had a good clean, the clay I have really didn't want to pick up any stubborn bits. (Stray bits of tar, sap, general crap)

I've been wary of the clay cloths, are they better than the clay bars? Do they need any more care/special storage etc etc? And can they be 'emptied', can you see what's been picked up?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
As Dave said. Those little MF apps are the key to de-tarring, they are safe but offer bite. Paintwork feels smooth even just after that.

Clay cloth used with a good lube and snowfoamed car feels much safer and quicker than conventional clay.

You simply wash the surface of the clay cloth to remove anything from it. Store mine in a food bag.

^ sure have. Really nice product. Spreads nicely, removes effortlessly but most importantly it pulls so much dirt from the paint. You'll be surprised how dirty your applicator is after a few panels. It also leaves a nice base for a wax to bond to.

I really like it and I'd recommend it.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
^ sure have. Really nice product. Spreads nicely, removes effortlessly but most importantly it pulls so much dirt from the paint. You'll be surprised how dirty your applicator is after a few panels. It also leaves a nice base for a wax to bond to.

I really like it and I'd recommend it.

Mint! Think I'll go for that then and a pot of essence wax :)