ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

No I haven't. I've heard it's pretty good so I'm sure it will be just fine.

When it comes to lube I just use a strong shampoo mix in a spray bottle. It does the exact same thing as a dedicated clay lube but it will save you a few quid.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
No I haven't. I've heard it's pretty good so I'm sure it will be just fine.

When it comes to lube I just use a strong shampoo mix in a spray bottle. It does the exact same thing as a dedicated clay lube but it will save you a few quid.

Good point, cheers fella :)

sgoGbBF.jpg

Yay. :).

Went for Meguiars in the end (typo from last post), now bring on the weekend!

Lots more reading/watching to do beforehand so I'm fully ready.

Also - anyone got recommendations for cleaning/maintaining the R steering wheel? aucky ? Not sure what to use on it yet, but I think it could do with a clean now!

sgoGbBF.jpg

Also - anyone got recommendations for cleaning/maintaining the R steering wheel? aucky ? Not sure what to use on it yet, but I think it could do with a clean now!

DA is my next big investment

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
You shouldn't really be relying on the clay to remove the contaminants TBH. A mist of tat remover left to dwell, as it starts to dry mist again. Then mist a MF applicator and wipe down each panel. On cars that have never been touched before this has always worked well and a fine gentle clay will remove the remains

I don't just rely on the clay to remove the contaminants, I use tar and iron removers beforehand to remove as much as possible, the clay just picks up bits they missed/can't remove.

Ive saturated blue roll with tardis and left it to dwell on spots on chi's mps but they still needed a pass with clay to remove properly

As Dave said. Those little MF apps are the key to de-tarring, they are safe but offer bite. Paintwork feels smooth even just after that.

Clay cloth used with a good lube and snowfoamed car feels much safer and quicker than conventional clay.

You simply wash the surface of the clay cloth to remove anything from it. Store mine in a food bag.

Cheers for that :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Clay isn't for removing tar though. Little blue MF will leave no tar.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I just love my clay mitts now, I think I'd hate going back to a normal clay bar, Was the most tedious part about decontaminating a car.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
What I was getting at is you shouldn't need anything more than a mild clay. I'm currently using the AF clay and even on cars I've never touched before that's enough to remove the last of the debris. Therefore you should be looking more at your early decon stage rather than the end clay use

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The CarPro clay cloth is well worth trying. Snowfoam the car before using. Out of the sun usually best!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I have the chemical guys clay mitt and was most impressed until it left almost like flatting marks on my golf and not used it since. On a well maintained car traditional clay is still the best option IMO. The ADS and Carpro cloths seem highly thought, as do the halfords G3 mitts

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I'm more than happy with my G3 mitt but then I've not tried any others.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
sgoGbBF.jpg

Just a damp cloth tbh, very weak soapy/apc solution it needed.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Hex logic still the choice pad??

Mainly just for glazes and cleansers.

I have Green, White and Black.... What colours could my small arsenal do with adding?
I'll be getting into correcting but got a few cars to do soon that just need tarting up to sell so will be done with a glaze via DA.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Black would be ok for glazes. And either black or white for cleansers. I found white really showed a load of dirt being pulled from the paint, and used with something like like prime or rejuvenate that has a little abrasion to it will work very well

Hex logic still the choice pad??

Mainly just for glazes and cleansers.

I have Green, White and Black.... What colours could my small arsenal do with adding?
I'll be getting into correcting but got a few cars to do soon that just need tarting up to sell so will be done with a glaze via DA.

From my reading, orange and white were the most recommended - hopefully this hasn't changed as I've now got 3 of each!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Need to order some more bits so may throw in some Orange ones if nobody comes up with other colours.

Love it Scott.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Orange would only be used for heavy cutting on major swirls or hard paints like VAG. Green was a lot more versatile with the right compound.

Is is this for the cleansing and glazing you mentioned? If so I wouldn't use anything heavier than white

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Orange would only be used for heavy cutting on major swirls or hard paints like VAG. Green was a lot more versatile with the right compound.

Is is this for the cleansing and glazing you mentioned? If so I wouldn't use anything heavier than white

Yeah just found my pic of the pad colours, Blue may be a good compromise? Black is good but a bit soft it seems

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I love Rejuvevate.... Pulls so much crap from the paint even after a thorough Decon.

Yeah just found my pic of the pad colours, Blue may be a good compromise? Black is good but a bit soft it seems

I use blue for glazes and pre wax cleansers. It works well but if you've already got white and black I'd just use either of those depending on what your wanting to achieve.

I love Rejuvevate.... Pulls so much crap from the paint even after a thorough Decon.

Me too! Brilliant product. Aio's and glazes can't pull dirt from the paint like a proper pre wax cleanser like rejuvenate can.

Is that the emulsion smelling paint cleanser? I lost track of all of their 'r' product names.

If so I didn't see much point in it with having some of their other products which lay down a base for waxes

I can't remember what it smells like I bought it when it first came out so they could of changed the formula by then.

It's hidden away somewhere in my garage I think.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Blue and red Hexlogic are they glaze and LSP pads but are very soft with no bite, softer than black so would be very little benefit in using anything over white or black IMO.

Rejuvenate pre wax cleanser is always in my collection. Lifts out loads of dirt, removes old waxes and sealants leaving a nice new base, and I love the finish it leaves. I'd even consider using it after machine polishing. Use with a MF applicator seems to draw out the dirt, a firm foam pad like the tri foam / German applicators for an extra little bite on dull or oxidised paint

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Lime Prime vs Rejuvenate?

I currently have half a bottle of LP left, but I keep reading these fantastic reviews on Rejuvenate. Is it worth the switch?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
2 totally different cleansers. Read my sticky on the top of the section.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I went to rejuvenate after finishing lime prime and keep buying more, but always consider trying like prime again. I guess it depends on what you're hoping to get from it or use it for

rejuvenate cleanses better I think with a more LSP friendly base.

Lime prime maybe a deeper finish with its oils, and can have better bite if used by machine

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Whats a good leather cleaner guys? Not looking to spend loads. Just need rid of this shiny crap the previously owner has used..