ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Thats what i really dont want, i want something pure like water, but with some lubricants so i can test just how long shield will last.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I was talking to a mate and he asked 'if you clay, will it remove any protection i.e wax, sealant or just any fallout/crap?'

what is the answer to this? Will it only remove contaminants from ontop of any protection or will it be 'stripped back' to the lacquer?

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Try Megs Last Touch diluted with RO/0PPM water 1:1.

Cheers JD, excuse my ignorance/ lack of knowledge but what it RO/0PPM water? Is it just deionized water?

Also, cheeky question but does anyone have some last touch (small sample) that i could buy so i dont have to buy a 5l tub to see if i like it.

Thanks

I was talking to a mate and he asked 'if you clay, will it remove any protection i.e wax, sealant or just any fallout/crap?'

what is the answer to this? Will it only remove contaminants from ontop of any protection or will it be 'stripped back' to the lacquer?

Back to the lacquer. Sealants, fillers and waxes are technically contaminants on your paint surface.

Cheers JD, excuse my ignorance/ lack of knowledge but what it RO/0PPM water? Is it just deionized water?

Also, cheeky question but does anyone have some last touch (small sample) that i could buy so i dont have to buy a 5l tub to see if i like it.

Thanks

Bang on, de-ionised water.

More than happy to. However, it is in my cupboard in the NW at the moment. If you can wait, I can get a sample across to you in two weeks (Friday 2nd Nov post date).

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
That would be awesome JD, how long are you in the NW? and where you based. Theres a Detailing meet at shinearama on the 4th it would be good to see you there if you could make it?

That would be awesome JD, how long are you in the NW? and where you based. Theres a Detailing meet at shinearama on the 4th it would be good to see you there if you could make it?

Technically in the NW for a week and a half, but will be based in Cumbria for most of it. Popping up to Alderley Edge for the night on Thursday, then drive to the Lakes, so won't be around unfortunately.

I'll PM you closer to the time. I have about 1l left - how much would you like?

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Enough to go round the care once when diluted would be ideal if you don't mind.. I can then decide and buy a large tub..

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I just threw the rotary over a section of bonnet on the MX5, PO85 on a Scholl finishing pad for about 30 seconds and its almost fully corrected. Soft paint ftw!

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Will do, its getting some respray work done over winter if the worst happens lol.

I think it was mostly the 16year old hazy unpolished surface on the clear coat which makes a big difference on the 50/50.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I'll post what I achieve tomorrow. I planned to spend the night on it but tripped and fell onto a bottle of Jamesons.

Considering when I first saw it I thought it was just 'burghundy' and my gf said it was 'brown' its getting quite exciting in a nerdy detailing way to see what it could become. Its really flakey underneath it all :D

Plan:
- 80% correction (save clearcoat for summer)
- W.Prime strong
- Bouncer's 22
- POP!

and FK1000 on the crinkle effect lower half of the doors.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Are you looking to get the correction from prime strong?

Not a bad idea IMO, slight cut pad (white hex) too could achieve good results and not too dangerous for the soft paint

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Not not at all.

AFAIK it doesn't contain abrasives?

I usually apply by hand. It's got great cleaning abilities (good for 16yr old stone chipped paint) and is a solid base for LSP.
In my experience it also enhances flake pop.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
What to try next or stick to what I know. Car shampoos.

Was going to buy 5l of af lather but fancy something new. Wasn't wowed by btbm, liked gwash. Like the britemax shampoo too. Any other big hitters, z7 is all I can see I'm missing but don't hear too much about it

Ps, anyone interested in a 2nd hand pot of Glasur? Think the time has come as i need the money and it'll pretty much pay for the tax on the motorbike. Will more than likely put up a for sale thread tomorrow evening :dead:

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Was going to buy 5l of af lather but fancy something new. Wasn't wowed by btbm, liked gwash. Like the britemax shampoo too. Any other big hitters, z7 is all I can see I'm missing but don't hear too much about it
It must be a water hardness issue (I'm sure you've played with different concentrations) because I really can't understand why anyone wouldn't get on with BTBM, its literally a perfect shampoo for me.

Having said that, I'm very lucky to have North Wales water

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member

Ps, anyone interested in a 2nd hand pot of Glasur? Think the time has come as i need the money and it'll pretty much pay for the tax on the motorbike. Will more than likely put up a for sale thread tomorrow evening :dead:

I'd be interested in glasur, I regret selling mine!

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Give wolfs white satin shampoo a go!

I love it!!! 40ml is enough to make 25ltrs

I do however feel myself going back to lather though, especially with the well priced 5ltr version

Last edited:
  Golf GT & A4 Avant
playing with BTBM I found I was using an aweful lot more per bucket to get the similar slick feel, but the increases concentration started to make it quite sudsy.

the bulk buy lather works out to be £7 per litre which is only rivalled by hyper wash and cleanmax. but I'm never going to get through 5litres.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
saw it advertised but not had time to look into it. Not heard anything about the range. I can't keep up with all the new sealants coming out this year

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Pb posted a showroom thread of a Porsche wearing this stuff, it was listed on their site shortly after

They are confident that its better than the rest, I tend to believe what they say. I think they are a decent honest retailer

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
In testing it wasn't as good as original C1 but the fact they don't make it anymore makes it the best on the market at the moment for amateur use. Cquartz Finest I believe would be it's nearest competitor.

Miss old C1 going to get some on the TT for the Winter, need to speak to Craig! Some old bottle knocking around. :eek:

Not not at all.

AFAIK it doesn't contain abrasives?

I usually apply by hand. It's got great cleaning abilities (good for 16yr old stone chipped paint) and is a solid base for LSP.
In my experience it also enhances flake pop.

Correct, no abrasives, purely a chemical cleaner.

I am still going through my Hyper Wash. Wax safe, bulk buy, works in the foam lance and as a general cleaner (not as good as some degreasers out there of course). All round good buy in my eyes.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Alright guys.. I want to get the RB ready for the winter weather..

Just need to know if I have everything needed...

Iron x
Tardis
Clay Bar (The Paintwork is horrific!)
SRP (anything better to reccommend?)
DoDo Juice Rainforest Rub, will this last a harsh winter or will something better be needed? I can probably get hold of some R222 if thats any better?

I have no shampoo... What would you reccommend? Iv seen DoDo Juice Born To Be Mild thrown around alot would this be the stuff to go for?

In my head I feel im missing something :dapprove:

If you want to reccommend anything please do :eek:

Golf GT & A4 Avant
not sure on the rainforest rub as I found orange crush to last about 3months.

Have you got a QD for top ups? maybe look into one that adds a little of it's own protection to extend the durability

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
not sure on the rainforest rub as I found orange crush to last about 3months.

Have you got a QD for top ups? maybe look into one that adds a little of it's own protection to extend the durability

Iv used it on the car before but I never paid attention on how long it lasted :eek:

Quick detailer is what im missing... What would you reccommend?

ITB BG 182
After just ordering myself a decent jetwash, Nilfisk C120, what snow foam is good to use with it but wont arse rape me price wise? Also is it alot better to get the snowfoam sprayer attachment? Or is it just as good with the sprayer it comes with?

After just ordering myself a decent jetwash, Nilfisk C120, what snow foam is good to use with it but wont arse rape me price wise? Also is it alot better to get the snowfoam sprayer attachment? Or is it just as good with the sprayer it comes with?

The supplied sprayers are usually dross, John. They will give you a soapy solution over the car, but won't provide the shaving cream consistency you're after that clings to the paint.

It depends what you're after - there are decent cleaners out there and there are basic snow foams. Valet Pro are a good starting point, but I always come back to Megs Hyper wash. My car never got dirty enough to require anything too strong, so two squirts of Hyper Wash, brimmed with warm water, was enough. Cheapest around too.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Agree with hyper wash

The supplied foam attachment usually requires pure solution and is empty after half a car so not cost effective at all

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Go for the Autobrite offer on DW think it's £40/45 best buy, all the foamers are exactly the same. The foams are different. Magifoam is a pretty good one. A tad thick though but adjustable.

Hyper wash is a great shout though as JD says, lasts forever.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
It really depends on what you expect it to do and when you plan to use it.

for example, got stuck on site and the car was covered in mud. snow foamed one half and used AF citrus power the other half, then pressure washed off. after a few minutes the side with CP the mud was falling off. the side snow foamed was slowly trying to dissolve it and running off with the foam but nowhere near as quick.

for winter washes in wet muddy conditions I will snow foam and rinse and leave it. I'd use citrus power if I want to do a proper wash as combined with a pressure rinse after it clears a lot more dirt