ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It's well known that SF is a little bit of a gimmick though. It helps to a point. CP is a different beast.

Agreed. Which is why I want Tobias to hurry the f**k up and review Avalanche properly. Perhaps when he's not banneddedded.

ITB BG 182
for winter washes in wet muddy conditions I will snow foam and rinse and leave it. I'd use citrus power if I want to do a proper wash as combined with a pressure rinse after it clears a lot more dirt

This is what I am thinking, doing a SF wash over the winter months and having as little contact as possible with the car. I would have a brush just to go around the edges and inbetween bits then come next year out comes the lemons to be used with the snowfoam.

The car would be in the shade while being cleaned, so I could leave the snow on for alot longer than normal.

JD - I will do that, thanks!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I lol when I saw the post he got banned for, seems he was getting more and more angry the older he got! Thought he was going to be selling off samples of avalanche as he got 5l. I'm Curious to know how similar it is to CP, but must admit although you can use CP through a lance it still doesn't work as well as spraying it on manually. Probably works as well as a normal snow foam IMO.

SF has it's place, but as for removing large amounts of dirt, CP and other citrus pre rinses and pressure washer rinse will give better results. With good protection underneath, I plan to just SF and rinse and not touch at all on a weekly basis through winter, or take CP to a local car wash and use there pressure washer when freezing is a risk. Then wash properly once a month with citrus power.

Well protected car, SF is useful and CP works wonders.

Poorly protected car, SF really does nothing (unless it's full of APC/Degreaser), but CP manually sprayed can make a world of difference.

This is why Avalanche is interesting. If it doesn't have the same effect as manually spraying CP, it's missed the mark.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I find AF citrus diluted 50:50 to be more effective than foam but I tend to use both, sometime together (citrus, dwell, foam over the top).

Golf GT & A4 Avant

Poorly protected car, SF really does nothing (unless it's full of APC/Degreaser), but CP manually sprayed can make a world of difference.

This is why Avalanche is interesting. If it doesn't have the same effect as manually spraying CP, it's missed the mark.

Completely agree but still people think SF works wonders and I just don't see it. There has been only a couple of reviews on avalanche and pretty mixed. Compared to other snow foams it seems fine, compared to citrus power I have my doubts at the moment.

I find AF citrus diluted 50:50 to be more effective than foam but I tend to use both, sometime together (citrus, dwell, foam over the top).

agreed also, works well with a dusty car

Anyone have Toby's number, should harass him for some samples

1.8 Civic EX
quick couple of z2 questions....

is it ok on glass/perspex? (thinking panoramic roof and lights)

how long do you leave it before buffing off? One pannel at a time or apply to the whole car then buff off?

Not a 320d
Agreed. Which is why I want Tobias to hurry the f**k up and review Avalanche properly. Perhaps when he's not banneddedded.

TLDR; Its s**t, buy G101 or CP instead.

In a nutshell its s**t and I dont think it'll actually work unless its been well protected and is kept that way. G101 in a sprayer or just a blast off with the pressure washer will sort surface dirt as the LSP will be doing its job.

You'd be much better off buying G101 and using a light mix with hot water in a spray bottle and dousing the car in it. Would have better cleaning effects and wouldn't harm the LSP as much. or CP.

Funny, I said the same thing to Yellow Dave earlier on DW, seems to me that Avalance is completely f**king useless on an unprotected car; 3 time Ive used it, my mums C class estate was filthy on the boot area and after soaking it with a strong mix (2/3) of Avalanche through the snow gun it didn't remove much if any dirt. On my own car, which never really gets properly dirty in the summer months, I used as directed twice and again didn't really see much benefit. Zymol carbon was on its last legs mind, and have been topping it up with Z6 for the past month as Ive not had time to give it a reet good going over for winter.

Then again I needed a snowfoam as id run out of i4d Citrus SNF, will be good for removing bugs in a spray bottle in the spring and summer and will also be useful for a post machine polish wash. I hope.

Protected the car yesterday, good decon (Clay pulled off loads of shite!!), Tripple by hand (Love this s**t, pulled off even more s**t!!) and 3 coats of Fk1000p over 24 hours, will be adding another coat over the next 2 weeks. So I might go over it again with Avalanche if it gets dirty and see if it does its job then, but Im still not impressed with it.

Dave youre welcome to a sample as I said in my PM.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
you have a lovely way of putting things, no wonder admin decided to slap those wrists. :rasp:

if you have a spare 250ml/ 500ml/ 1l bottle I'll buy some off you?

ITB BG 182
So in the snowfoam list, Avalanche is not that highly rated compared to some lemon snowfoam? But also megs hyper is meant to be good? (I will wait till next weekend JD, thanks)

What about this offer on DW for a lance with some of the magifoam, is that much cop?

I think £40 for a lance for a Nilfisk sounds good but I dont know what your lot would say, I am just trying to take the cleaning side of my car more serious now days specially as doing it best first time means doing it less.

Im even buying a carpro mitt with some little brush's and grit guards now to keep it looking as good as possible!

Not a 320d
you have a lovely way of putting things, no wonder admin decided to slap those wrists. :rasp:

if you have a spare 250ml/ 500ml/ 1l bottle I'll buy some off you?

As youre not a nob head youre welcome to a bottle of it. Think the spare empty bottle ive got is about 500ml but I might be wrong. Don't want anything for it.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
the autobrite deal, where you can buy additional snow foam, either magnifoam and super snow foam or something like that?

If so I used that group buy and pretty pleased, couldn't find anything cheaper. the lances are all pretty much the same but the snow foam seem to be as good as SF gets. I'd opt to buy more snowfoam as well as it works out a little cheaper than normal still. I still rate spraying citrus power has more cleaning power than most snowfoams still

ITB BG 182
the autobrite deal, where you can buy additional snow foam, either magnifoam and super snow foam or something like that?

If so I used that group buy and pretty pleased, couldn't find anything cheaper. the lances are all pretty much the same but the snow foam seem to be as good as SF gets. I'd opt to buy more snowfoam as well as it works out a little cheaper than normal still. I still rate spraying citrus power has more cleaning power than most snowfoams still

Thats the one, the thing on DW. I will anyway when they activate my damm account again. I have some cirus stuff already but never used it due to not having a pressure washer.

I would only use the cirtus for the 4x4 when its gunked up in god knows what and then the snowfoam for lighter cleaning every few weeks on both cars, if this seems ok?

M2 Comp
What about this offer on DW for a lance with some of the magifoam, is that much cop?

In my expereince even at a relatively low dilution, if left to do its stuff for say 15-20 minutes, it will pull the majority of dirt off. I then give anything that's left over a hit with AF Citrus Power. This combo for me at least has proven very effective.

Only downside for me is that Magifoam can be a pain to clear due to how thick it is.

ITB BG 182
Right, I have some of the CQuartz stuff left over, what else could it be used on? Or how long does it last with the cap fully on?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Winter prep'd our Focus today using AF tripple and tough coat. Haven't used these all summer and I'd forgotten how nice and simply they are to use, and I used so little I couldn't resist putting on a 2nd coat. Really pleased with the finish, gave the blue a really nice deep glossy finish. feels so slick to touch, pleasantly surprised and will be making more of an effort to use it

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Right, I have some of the CQuartz stuff left over, what else could it be used on? Or how long does it last with the cap fully on?

Wheels, exhaust tips, plastics, trim, headlights, rear lights etc.

Not a 320d
Winter prep'd our Focus today using AF tripple and tough coat. Haven't used these all summer and I'd forgotten how nice and simply they are to use, and I used so little I couldn't resist putting on a 2nd coat. Really pleased with the finish, gave the blue a really nice deep glossy finish. feels so slick to touch, pleasantly surprised and will be making more of an effort to use it

Did mine for winter, was really impressed with tripple, my first time using it. Will defo be using it again. Ive got 4 bottles of brand new SRP, Rejuvinate, Prime Nuba, Prime Strong and SW Cleaner Fluid and I rekon tripple s***s over them all.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Thoughts on using tripple/other via machine as a cleaner prior to polishing?

The old mazda paint really seems to drink the polish making it dry out a bit too quickly.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Can work well via DA, I struggle to get it working nicely with rotary though. Think dawn got good results with it on her flamer. Check out her recent thread in media.

I've got to the point where I prefer to use cleansers via machine than actually correct because I'm lazy and do.t like doing it

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah pretty much mate, if you want to be thorough ipa wipe down also. :) G101 and then a dry should be fine.

Golf GT & A4 Avant

Which one shall I order? has to be one of those two types. I've used the i4d uber towel (presumed same as the PB luxury towel) and was happy with it, but tempted by the mammoth

Don't like the waffle weave towels so only ever use them for cleaning glass now.

Ps. Glasur now for sale

Not a 320d
Oh right sorry mate. I'm using Mammoth at the moment, Ive used PB or i4d yellow for years (not 100% if exactly the same but I always buy the PB). I'd say the mammoth was better, plus you get more coverage with it, but there's no way id use the thing to dry my wheels with as its so expensive so have my old PB yellows to use for that.

I go through about 8 of the PB towels a year and the Mammoth Ive only been using for 2 or 3 months now.