ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Not a 320d
So you say tripple would never correct, but yellow dave says "I've watched people burn through clear coat with a DA with a light polishing pad and polish"

Well yeah..........

Tripple is not an abrasive corrective polish. It cleans paintwork, fills swirls and lays down a layer of protection. I used to about 2 hours ago in fact.

If you want to remove swirls completely then you need a machine polish er like a DA, Flex or Rotary and an abrasive polish/pad combination, like Megs 105/205 Gtechniq P1 etc. What you're essentially doing with an abrasive polish is removing clearcoat. The amount you remove depends on the polish or compound and pad you decide to use, based entirely on your own judgement. If there's only 2 microns of clear coat left and you machine polish that particular spot until 2 microns are removed then youll burn through to the paint itself. Thats what Dave was getting that. You need to start at the bottom in terms of pad and polish combo and work up wards from there until you get to combination of pad and polish which removes the swirls without removing more clearcoat than necessary.

If polishes and pads worked on a scale of 1-5 (5 being the most abrasive), and it took a combination of 3-3 to remove the swirls in your paintwork, yet you jumped the gun and went straight to 5-5 then youd be removing more than necessary, producing worse results and risk going through the clearcoat if certain areas are low. Its about getting the right balance. it doesnt take long.

Theres a guide somewhere by Dave KG (Maybe stickied) that explains all that.

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
Ooops stupid iPhone.
I never said that comment, it will correct to an extent of course, but it's not a proper polish. A pad with water 'could' burn through on certain paints.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Clart, think you need to take a step back and relax. know one here is having dig in any way, just trying to best advise on a car that none of us have looked at to polish, and not knowing your level of experience. At the end of the day we don't wannt you burning through your clearcoat.

To start, tripple isn't a proper polish, nor is SRP (super resin polish). although they do contain the lightest of abrasives, considerably less than a finishing polish. and any real correction is very unlikely, although some experienced users have seem some marring and light swirls reduced (not removed) when using with machine. these products are more for hiding and masking.

The problem with just going in and removing clear coat with a heavy combination may remove swirls but it will significantly reduce the clear coat you have left. And lets face it, however careful you are we all inflict swirls one way or another. that means when it needs correcting again you are doing it with higher risks as there is little clear coat left before you burn through.

Start of with the softest pad and lightest of actual polishing compound, not glazes, cleansers, AIO's that contain polish. if this doesn't work slowly work up the abrassiveness. once you've done a car once, you're in a much better position to determine level of cut and compound required. It really is a guessing game until to have a go at it. Toby can tell you how annoying it is to go through the clear coat!

Can I ask, without sounding rude, what actual experience you have with machine polishing?

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I have very little experience, i'm asking advice, hence posting in this thead. I never said i know anything about it, i'm just trying to work out how to make the most of the paint. Don't get me wrong, its pretty good condition, but i just want to make it as good as i can.

Not a 320d
Maybe you start with simply a light polish and do the whole car that way, rather than go for full correction. Itll give you some time to practice and get good results without worrying about ultimate correction. Be an easier option too.

Do you have rotary or DA?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I'd suggest starting with Tripple via DA on a finishing pad. Leaves an excellent finish and goes some way to hiding a lot of swirls and marring when used with DA. gives you a good chance to get the hang of machining without the added risk of damage.

I personally highly recommend the finish let with something like Tripple or a pre wax cleanser when used via DA. Worlds apart when comparing the finish to hand application.

Not a 320d
Does he actually want to remove the swirls though? Sure tripple would look great.

While I dont want to encourage you to ignore the possibility that you might burn through, I wouldnt worry too much. Just so long as you know the problem is there.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Do i need a wax over the top of tripple? Ive also got some blackmax, which is a glaze right? Does that come after the polish, but before the wax? Or should i just do 1 product at once for now?

Not a 320d
polish first. Glaze second. Polish will remove glaze. Glaze not necessary if polishing. Polish Not necessary if using glaze although i guess results would be better. Wax or sealant to "seal" in your hard work and give decent water repellent.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Tripple and blackmax are similar, apart from tripple will add a little protection on top so use one or the other. Use them after the proper polishing stage.

The protection left by tripple will be past its best after 6weeks so best to seal in your hard work with a sealant or wax over the top. If using tripple it's best to use a wax or sealant like toughcoat or werkstatt kit as tripple contains a little wax itself.using blackmax will be fine under most sealants or waxes other than nano sealants

BMW E46 330i Touring
I'm tempted to get the GTechniq G1 kit but am weary that temperature seems to play an important role in application.

Am I better off waiting until Spring?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Winter is the time when you'll see more benefit from G1 though. Even if you don't get the best adhesion it will still see you through winter.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Provided you do it on a warmish day the temps at the moment, certainly in Essex, aren't low enough to affect it it. It's more the moisture levels so do it around midday

BMW E46 330i Touring
Cool, cheers. Have ordered the kit so will give it a go on Saturday weather permitting.

A few people seem to be complaining of smearing following application. is there an established way to avoid this (ie is it user-error in application) or is it just bad luck if it happens?

Not a 320d
Nope. Just accept that it'll be hazy for the first week before you wash. Might also judder.

Id invest in some IPA based glass cleaner. 3M or AF Crystal. Also wipe your wiper blades down when you clean your wind screen with the cloth and glass cleaner. Each time I re apply G1 I remove most of the residue with G2, then go over the glass with AF Crystal to remove anything thats left. Doesnt affect longevity.

it'll also last longer if you regularly clean your wind screen.

Make sure you prep the glass properly. Clay, polish properly well then wipe down multiple times with undiluted IPA if you have any.

BMW E46 330i Touring
I can cope with judder as long as visibility isn't hindered in the meantime.

I haven't got any IPA but will have a small amount of G2 that comes with the kit so will use that thoroughly. I also have AG Fast Glass which (I think) is alcohol based so assume it'll have a similar cleansing effect?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
LP is very good. I've really got back into using it recenty after 12 months without touching it.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Knuckles, bring your car round the corner to mine and we'll amigo it.
C
Or if you want flake, prime, tough coat, bpuncers'ss 22 IMO

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
I'm thinking about buying a DA, are the kestrel ones ok? Im new to using one so looking to use it to apply af tripple ect to start with then build up to correcting as I get to grips with it. Are any of the starter kits worth while?

BMW E46 330i Touring
Oh yer fast glass is too IIRC, used to love that stuff.

Just give it a wipe over once youve finished.

Cracked on and applied the G1 today and all seemed to go okay, apart from a shower that wasn't forecast... Found it a real PITA to apply the G2 and 'immediately' buff off as it dries so quickly and leaves smears. A quick spray of Fast Glass sorted that out though.

Now to wait for some rain and give it a go!

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
I'm thinking about buying a DA, are the kestrel ones ok? Im new to using one so looking to use it to apply af tripple ect to start with then build up to correcting as I get to grips with it. Are any of the starter kits worth while?

Anyone?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
The kestral das6 from i4detailing or clean your car are fine. Keep an eye out for a 2nd hand one as there pretty hardy. Using tripple on a soft finishing or glazing pad gives awesome results. By hand it still gives great results but that's another level.

A great combo for both beginner and experienced users.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Cheers Dave , are any of the kits worth while or better getting things individually?