ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Golf GT & A4 Avant
got round to trying out AF Avalanche today. car was treated to tripple and toughcoat 3 to 4 weeks ago and not washed since.

now i didnt get that much dirt run off in the foam as it was well stuck on, initial once over with the pressure washer didnt really touch it either. what it did do is really soften the dirt a lot more than i typically find with magifoam. i guess working more like citrus power

not a bad product overal but would benefit from a little longer cling time to really get to work on thicker dirt as its quite a watery consistency over the shaving fom type of others

Clio 182, Astra Sri
That's what puts me off, but could the dilution be stronger to give better cling, or would it be too strong then

Really wanna try CG no touch

Golf GT & A4 Avant
for those with a cheapy basic PW like my C110 Nilfisk it probably works better as the pressure isnt quite high enough to create that thick foam that the really good washers create. but i still got the cleaning power.

would i use it over CP, probably not but i think i can see myself using it over the autobrite foams at least until i upgrade to a decent washer

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
What are peoples thoughts on the Gilmour foamaster? and what foam would you recommend with them?

Not a 320d
What are peoples thoughts on the Gilmour foamaster? and what foam would you recommend with them?

Aside from the fact I think snowfoam is a total gimmick (Why anyone wouldn't just walk round the far with a spray bottle/pump sprayer filled with G101 and hot water I don't know) I think its a bit crap TBH. You do need a pressure washer to produce thick foam. In which case you should be either looking at investing in a pressure washer or a snow foam lance for one. Or just save your money and dont buy any lance, and buy G101.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
I have a pressure washer but unfortunately cheap black and decker one that as far I know doesn't take a lance. Was just looking at cheaper option rather than buying a new one plus lance.

Not a 320d
Why do you want snowfoam exactly? Im not having a dig, I just dont want people to waste their money.

I still use my snowfoam lance and buy snowfoam after 5 years of ownership. But only to clean my caravan or conservatory. Occasionally I will use snowfoam to rinse a car after a machine polish to remove dust or oils.

If I want a pre wash, I mix a light ratio of G101 with hot water (Its a degreaser when hot) and spray it on with a sprayer, then pressure wash it off again.

Not a 320d
Very. Just use a light dilution.

remember that any shampoo or cleaner will degrade the wax finish some what, but you can safely spray g101 (diluted) on a fresh coat of wax to shift some initial buildup and find it still sheets and beads really well. G101 really is great stuff. probably one of my favorite products.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I'm having a discussion on another forum with a guy who claims that;
-if an LSP adds to the finish, you've done something wrong in the prep/polish stage
-if polished correctly, LSP is simply for protection, not looks
-therefore wax is wax is wax.

Ermmm?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah he's trying to be smart. 90 odd % of the finish is in the prep but a wax/sealant/ceramic can add to the finish.

Even a glaze can darken paint on a perfect surface.

Tell him to keep buying poundland wax as it doesn't matter. Or Collinites 476 because it last longer than Zymol Royale.

People forget there are so many different attributes to a wax over durability and looks.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I've done a 50/50 on a bonnet with old C1 on my Frp (no pics) and believe me, it darkens/deepens the paint.

I know a couple of people have applied af tough coat over tripple, so was just wondering how long its lasted?

I applied tc on bare paintwork all over bar the boot where i tried tripple under and the bonnet had amigo applied via da. Now the car is still beading a month later bar the boot, which seems unprotected after a couple of weeks? Any ideas?

I too have found that TC doesn't last that long on top of tripple. Tripple gets a lot of love on here but I'm not a fan of these AIO products.

Shower glass currently wearing G5, mirrors in RainX AntiFog, kitchen surfaces in C1/4/5 incl taps and sink, fabrics wear i1... need I go on ;)

172 cup
Hope this is the right place to ask... I am considering buying a DA polisher but after a bit of research am wondering if in need a paint thinkness gauge before I consider touching my car with one?

if so where is the best place to get a fairly cheap one from?

Not a 320d
Hope this is the right place to ask... I am considering buying a DA polisher but after a bit of research am wondering if in need a paint thinkness gauge before I consider touching my car with one?

if so where is the best place to get a fairly cheap one from?

You might get a second hand on on Detailing world. They get snapped up quick though.

Most people dont use one. Its bad advice for me to say don't bother because you never know how much clear your car has - they all vary and some repair or previous polishing work could have been done by previous owners leaving you with minimal clearcoat to play with.

Its up to you basically. If youre going to undertake heavy correction with wool pads or a heavy cut/compound pad then I think it could be worth investing. You could always sell again and accept a loss of a few quid. If youre just after removing some light swirls and marring then personally Id say f**k it and just do it.

172 cup
You might get a second hand on on Detailing world. They get snapped up quick though.

Most people dont use one. Its bad advice for me to say don't bother because you never know how much clear your car has - they all vary and some repair or previous polishing work could have been done by previous owners leaving you with minimal clearcoat to play with.

Its up to you basically. If youre going to undertake heavy correction with wool pads or a heavy cut/compound pad then I think it could be worth investing. You could always sell again and accept a loss of a few quid. If youre just after removing some light swirls and marring then personally Id say f**k it and just do it.

How much should i pay for a secondhand one? 100-150?

Im not going to use anything to aggressive on my car, but then if I did get a DA would probably use it on my bro M3 and MPS so might be worth getting one.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Hello chaps. Going to order some AF Tripple today, as well as a few other goodies. Would I see any benefit in applying Amigo afterwards, followed by my LSP? Or just go from Tripple to the LSP?

Fanx x

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I would just go Tripple then Lsp mate, they have glazing properties anyway. Amigo will add to it slightly and make it slicker but it's an extra step.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Cheers Kev. As you know, I'm no serious detailer, so would buying Tripple almost make my bottle of Amigo redundant?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Not really, it's just a really modern SRP so on another occasion ie better weather a nice coat of Amigo and Lsp would be cool.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Sweet. Are you impressed that I'm using detailing acronyms?

Just hoping that the weekend is rain free now!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols! Very impressed! I'll reply to your text in a bit! :eek:

Not a 320d

Im not going to use anything to aggressive on my car, but then if I did get a DA would probably use it on my bro M3 and MPS so might be worth getting one.

I cant remember, check the sale threads out on DW mate youll get an ideal. once youve got one youve got one.

Its as black and white as my previous post mate. i dont own a gauge, and ive polished numerous cars and only ever fucked my own up, because i was wet sanding. Also, I rarely have to deal with paintwork thats properly fucked and usually Gtechniq P1 and a lake country green pad is enough to sort anything out.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG

Be careful with the MPS they have very thin paintwork.

James has been suitably clever and paid CS to sponsor this section. Good move. But only because I work in advertising and like his style :cool:

Edit; that's a guess by the way, I don't know anything about the cost/deal/if there was a cost etc

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I need to buy more AF stuff. Well impressed with what I've tried so far.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I ordered a few AF bits a few months back and all i've used so far was the metal polish and I wasn't that impressed :(

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Yep microfibres, also used it with a bit of wire wool and high grade paper on something too.

No different to any other metal polish i've used if i'm honest.