ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Compound until the most of the clear coat scratches have gone, the finger nail test should be able to give you a good insight as to what scratches you will be able to remove, obviously just be careful not to strike through although as its already damaged it won't be the end of the world.

172 cup
well in all honesty I am not expecting to get most the sracthes out, just didnt want to leave a patch! I do have a PD8 so could try and test the area compared to another panel if this seems worthwhile?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Got any pictures of the damage mate? A pdg will always be handy mate. Use it to test how many many microns you're going through with each pass, then judge when you should stop.

172 cup
Got any pictures of the damage mate? A pdg will always be handy mate. Use it to test how many many microns you're going through with each pass, then judge when you should stop.

I will try that, when its delivered and figure how to work it! Think I will be on the carefully side as I dont want my B*****ks removing by the other half!

cheers for you help, I am going to need a lot more of it in the future!!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
No problem, I'm sure a few more people will be along shortly with more advice. What car is it btw?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Argh detailing world is annoying, for example i'm asking a fe questions about a new wax not yet released after seeing pictures so ask what we could compare the durability to and what it was applied on top of. All I get is a thanks post instead of any information, no one else asks quiestions they just bum lick!!

172 cup
No problem, I'm sure a few more people will be along shortly with more advice. What car is it btw?

Its a Silver Yaris, will be doing my cup and bros M3 & MPS6 first so should have the hang of it by then

As for DW, I have joined there and find it hard to make head or tail of it there are so many different catagories. Dont really know where to ask my questions on there so find people on here much more helpful!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Haven't done any details on Toyotas yet so can't comment on paint quality/thickness. However Japanese paint seems to be a bit thin on the ground...

Too many idiots on there mate, after seeing some of the techniques certain 'professionals' on there use i'd much rather ask my questions here as they are always answered honestly and correctly and if someone does answer wrong other people are not shy in putting them right.

Just got C1 through, lol at how tiny it is! :D

It makes you feel a tad underwhelmed doesn't it. You will be very happy once its on though !

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Lol, it's all the same :eek:

You should just be proud that gradually, all of my Halfords Autoglym stuff is being replaced. I have a good feeling about AG HD on campovola grey though.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Nothing actually wrong with AG stuff though tbh.

I want my bloody parcels but have to wait until Saturday :(

What's the paint like on the Fiat anyway Luke, any swirls sanding marks etc?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
It seems pretty good tbh mate, other than a few stone chips on the bonnet and some very light swirling it seems ok. It's a very flat colour, so will be interesting to see how glossy I can get it looking. Might need to take a trip to yours soon for some tips! Lol, that'd be unusual, coming to yours in a car that doesn't need fixing :eek:

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Lol, really looking forward to seeing it mate!

How big are the chips? might be able to sort those :)

Flol at Gally and I calling Luke a tard within 20 mins of each other. Good thing he's thick.

Last edited:

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Lol, really looking forward to seeing it mate!

How big are the chips? might be able to sort those :)

You'll like it mate. It's not 'fast' per say, but because of the torque (I'm used to revving the nuts off stuff to make it move) it makes it a right giggle!

Not too bad tbh mate. Tbf, I haven't had chance to have a proper look at the paintwork, I'll report back on Saturday :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Yep I've got it. I've used it via da, but personally I think it would be better by rotary!

Just go for it. It's fairly nice to use tbh. Good results from it so far aswell

Got round to trying power seal via rotary today. Very impressed with the finish. good flake and gloss. and the panel feels so slick. doesn't need much working into the paint either, so much so I thought there has to be more to it than that. Will be testing it alongside AF new prototype wax so interesting to compare their performance

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Got any pics?

I haven't tried it by rotary, but I will be next time. Didnt seem right by da. Autofinesse themselves used a forced rotation da in the application video. Which is best of both worlds

Golf GT & A4 Avant
no pics buts looks very nice. rest of the car is wearing tripple topped with toughcoat, cleaned so well i put down another layer. did the rear door with power seal and front door with their prototype. power seal was by far the best looking finish.

there youtubes vids looked like they used a normal DA and then rotary, what didnt you like about it via DA. i had to hardly work it at all, then there was absolutely nothing to remove

Used it over the top of tough prep, didnt think it was half as good as rejuvenate

Golf GT & A4 Avant
it did seem very buttery, but i rubbed the pad around the panel first and seemed fine. I just hope the finish stands the claimed 6months, as it all seems too easy for it to perform that well

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I did mine with PS via my DAS6 went on fine and have to agree the finish was excellent.

Although I used it more for winter protection durability rather than looks.

Plan to top up with a coat of TC next week and that's it then until the new year.

172 cup
Sorry guys another question from me! I am going to be buying a snow foam lance this weekend however I have seen Karcher do their own brand which is being sold on ebay with a ltr of snow foam for £25 delivered. Thats at least half the price compared to most of the ones sold on detailing sites. are they any good?

172 cup
No, they really are kak

They don't foam up much and run out in seconds

It's worth paying 40-50 for a proper one

thought it might be a case of you get what you pay for, think I am going to pop into Elite car care as I found out they are 1 min away from me and buy a load of stuff. anyone used them for stuff?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Well impressed with Tripple! Applied with a finishing pad via DA and topped with HD. Gives a flat colour a suprisingly awesome glossy finish.

Will finish it off with z6 and get pics tomorrow, too dark now.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I've just given the car its 4th wash since CSS (4 months) and its first in about 2 months (now sitting on the drive instead of the garage).

It was pretty shitty tbf, and apart from the boot/bumper the protection still seems to be there :)

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Good question

I personally use mf applicators for trim dressings and spray and wipe sealants

Or to spread glass cleaner, then I use a mint merkin to buff them

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Foam is better for spreading most products, whereas an MF applicator give you the ability to work a product a bit more.

For example, I use a foam applicator for wax, and an MF app for Werkstat Prime.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I've just given the car its 4th wash since CSS (4 months) and its first in about 2 months (now sitting on the drive instead of the garage).

It was pretty shitty tbf, and apart from the boot/bumper the protection still seems to be there :)

I flew round it with Z6/Jett Carnauba/Z8 to freshen it up, really looks great now.

Some signs of swirls are beginning to show though, it has afterall been 11 months since it last saw polish. Hopefully I'll be able to do some winter prep this month and glaze/fill the f**k out of it and polish in the spring.