ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I bought separately, not used the pads in the kits, and only ever used menz polishes.

I'd maybe use autofinesse's own pad with tripple, or a 3m blue, or hexlogic black or red. Once you've got hand with the polisher step up to something like rejuvenate or a finishing polish like menz 106fa with a white or green hexlogic or yellow 3m.

Just had a thought pop into my mind, re polishers. I may finally get a Rotary. Any decent brands or ones that people recommend?

I'm currently rolling with a Meguiars G220, but thinking about it, I may have outgrown that now.

Not a 320d
Just had a thought pop into my mind, re polishers. I may finally get a Rotary. Any decent brands or ones that people recommend?

I'm currently rolling with a Meguiars G220, but thinking about it, I may have outgrown that now.

Get the EP.

Avoid the larger S1M 180 or Kestrels or whatever the f**k theyre called. Theyre a little...how can we say....heavy.

Not a 320d
Cracked on and applied the G1 today and all seemed to go okay, apart from a shower that wasn't forecast... Found it a real PITA to apply the G2 and 'immediately' buff off as it dries so quickly and leaves smears. A quick spray of Fast Glass sorted that out though.

Now to wait for some rain and give it a go!

Yep!

Soon as the water behavior starts to fade away get another coat on. Wipe it down with IPA first as Im assuming you did when prepping properly then itll bond to the existing layer.

Make a habbit of keeping your winscreen clean. Keep the glass cleaner in the car with some cloths. Wipe down the wipers when you do it too.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Yeah I gave it a good wash and clay and then polished with G4 and wiped a little bit of G2 over it before applying the G1.

A little bit smeary whilst motorway driving today but I think that's probably more a case of a lot of motorway grime and me being reluctant to use screen wash! Fun watching the beads roll up the screen though...

Not a 320d
But the water behaviour should be present for up to 2 years

If you want it to last, you need to clean the glass regularly, preferably with IPA based glass cleaner. It removes any particles which could end up acting like sand paper between your screen and wipers.

I bought a largle bottle of G1 and Apply once before winter, and once in Spring time in order to maintain the beading.

Not saying itll completely disappear, just needs looking after.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
If you want it to last, you need to clean the glass regularly, preferably with IPA based glass cleaner. It removes any particles which could end up acting like sand paper between your screen and wipers.

^ This

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
What would be recommended for best results after a good machine polish, AF tough coat or natty's blue?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Not used nattys, but tough coat is VERY simple to use, can apply to a whole car and then remove in less than 10minutes, gives good water sheeting and reasonable beading, lasts approximately 3months.

The look / finish would be determined more by the base under it. Are you going straight from machine polish correction to wax or sealant? Or using anything inbetween

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member

Does anyone use a weak dilution of IPA instead of class cleaner on a regular basis?

Clio 182, Astra Sri
That's a nice little kit tbh

Not the most popular da though. I think they had some issues.

Checkout the das6 deals

Might sound stupid but what make was that? Is it even a make, I've seen a Kestrel one on eBay but guessing that isn't it or is just the same as the one I linked earlier

BMW E46 330i Touring
The brand is Dodo Juice, not sure who makes them for DJ but it's certainly good enough to go with if you can find a bargain like that.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
They're all the same machine mate, kestral, das-6, DJ etc.

The plus is different.

Mental 172 Cup
Right detailing peeps..

I have a 2005 E46 BMW 330cd in Black, not metallic. It has swirl marks but not very much more then that other then a few tiny little marks, anyone know of a good pad/polish combo to make it look amazing and also good products and a step by step procedure for a winter clean, wheels and tyres etc, I want to keep it protected during the cold months with salt all over the roads

Thanks in advance..

Corsa Van. Meh.
I currently have G5 on my windows. What should I clean he glass with when washing the car? I have AF Crystal.

Should I just clean the glass as normal with AF Crystal and then re-apply G5 or will Crystal not strip it?

Bit confused how to prolong the G5's life.

Cheers for the help guys. Will do a bit more reading up before I go with one then, all I know is the car could do with getting its shine back

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I currently have G5 on my windows. What should I clean he glass with when washing the car? I have AF Crystal.

Should I just clean the glass as normal with AF Crystal and then re-apply G5 or will Crystal not strip it?

Bit confused how to prolong the G5's life.

I use G5 and find after a week of poor weather it isn't as effective, however after a quick clean with Crystal it brings it back to life and carries on.

I applied 5 layers over the space of 2 weeks back when we had a dry spell and now i haven't needed to apply it for 2-3 months.

Corsa Van. Meh.
I use G5 and find after a week of poor weather it isn't as effective, however after a quick clean with Crystal it brings it back to life and carries on.

I applied 5 layers over the space of 2 weeks back when we had a dry spell and now i haven't needed to apply it for 2-3 months.

Excellent. Thanks for that.

Not teaching you to suck eggs, but this is the same for all "hydro-phobic" products (waxes, sealants, metal sealants, glass sealants, etc). It's simply the dirt particals providing a rough/high friction surface, meaning water will not bead as well. My G1 has lasted over 18 months, but seems to lack after a motorway drive in wet/dirty conditions. A quick wash or clean with a specific glass cleaner brings it back to life.

f**k, replying to your post has just reminded me about my No16 Megs Last Touch offer :( completely forgot mate. Apologies. I do have some left, I will be up North over Xmas in Alderley Edge so would have the time for a meet and greet with the detailing lot?

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
f**k, replying to your post has just reminded me about my No16 Megs Last Touch offer :( completely forgot mate. Apologies. I do have some left, I will be up North over Xmas in Alderley Edge so would have the time for a meet and greet with the detailing lot?

No worries mate, I forgot myself to be honest.

Fire me a pm or ill send you one depending who remembers first lol.

Oh and in reply to the other post ill come back after I think the 3 months gtech say it will last and see if it is still going strong after weekly cleaning or whether I need to re apply.