ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Clio 182, Astra Sri
After not using it for 4 years I forgot how good optimum QD is

Gave the mrs Clio and my dads other r26 a maintenance detail today and the QD really is a good'un

22F9ACC3-A841-4BEB-AE57-411E87369706-15100-00000C2175274D69.jpg

A68713E6-BD51-4895-8D53-2412E99A2F67-15100-00000C217D35F083.jpg

Also picked this glass cleaner up from tesco the other day, for £3 it was worth a try, smells really clinical like a dentist too which is nice. Worked brilliantly too! No streaks etc.

9FB221EB-ADAD-405D-BEF7-C6DDE1BA9ED5-15100-00000C216B1646E4.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lols! I could ask about a Black but he did mention White to me.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Was disappointed with g1 this morning

Many people say its easier to remove ice when g1 is applied. I didn't find it easier at all. Had to scrape it off :(

Might slap some repel over the top.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Yeah I've found that ice/frost melts away with my blowers on much quicker than it did before. Frosts up quite easily though.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Many people say its easier to remove ice when g1 is applied. I didn't find it easier at all. Had to scrape it off :(

Why did you use a scraper! :( Water!!!!!

ITB BG 182
To the powers that be.

Citrus Wash stuff - is it all literally the same as long as buying from a proper detailing place? Autobrites is £16 for 5ltrs, yet Armadillo Detailing are offering it me for a fiver?
Same with the shampoo stuff with wax in it and ph neutral etc etc?

And finally tyre shine, waterbased stuff? Is there really a huge difference?

What are you after with the citrus stuff, John? A traffic film remover (TFR)?

Shampoo wise, GWash, Dodo Born to be Mild (BTBM) and Meg's Hyper Wash/Shampoo Plus are my go to products. All wax friendly, none leave anything (measurable) behind, which is what I'm after (that's what a QD is for).

Water based will wash away more easily (look at AG Tyre Shine). Stick with Meg's endurance or look at Blackfire.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3

I've actually been pretty impressed with g1 so far, there seems to be sod all ice on the screen compared to cars nearby. Yesterday, for example, after work I get to my car to see two of my colleagues either side of me scraping away. No ice on the 500 :cool:

ITB BG 182
What are you after with the citrus stuff, John? A traffic film remover (TFR)?

Shampoo wise, GWash, Dodo Born to be Mild (BTBM) and Meg's Hyper Wash/Shampoo Plus are my go to products. All wax friendly, none leave anything (measurable) behind, which is what I'm after (that's what a QD is for).

Water based will wash away more easily (look at AG Tyre Shine). Stick with Meg's endurance or look at Blackfire.

JD, I was going to use citrus wash before the snowfoam to give it some extra grime busting power. So yea like a TFR.

The Megs tyre shine seems messy via a brush, was looking at buying AB's tyre gloss stuff.

An shampoo, well im running out of turtles and AG stuff so need to get some thing to replace it all...

But wax safe, right? If so, Citrus Power is my new fav product. Works so well, but will get expensive.

If Megs is messy, you're using too much product chap. Same with most detailing processes, more product = more mess (polishes, trim products, wax, etc).

BTBM is really the best answer here, in my eyes. See no reason to change.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I find it takes alot longer to freeze over with a windscreen sealant on, however when it does its just as bad as non sealed windows.

172 cup
Right Guys, I have a got all the cleaning stuff I need so am going to wash and clay my car this weekend. As I wont have time to correct the paint till the new year I was going to put on some 476 wax to protect it until then. Hwoever would it be a good idea to go over the car quickly with something like prime lime before I put the wax on?

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Wouldn't be a bad idea, although LP is quite oily so you'd need to strip the oils off with dilute IPA / Ereaser before waxing.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
476 is a solvent heavy hybrid wax, so whatever you put underneath it is likely be partly removed by 476, causing it to possibly affect the durability. but to be honest it is getting to affect it all that much that i wouldnt use anything underneath it.

alot of people say that a wax adds nothing to the finish, well 476 has the potential to take away from the finish if youre not careful

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Question regarding wheels if I may?

The 500 has some optional diamond cut wheels:

8238452758_3373fd2170.jpg

I currently use Bilberry Wheel cleaner and sealed them with AG HD (I had no wheel seatant :eek:)

Anything I should be doing different, with them being diamond cut?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
id look into proper long lasting nano sealants, cquartz, GTechniq C5 etc then all youll need is whatever shampoo you use to wash the rest of the car

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
GT C5 or similar. Don't bother with wax type sealants on wheels.

Diamond cut wheels are risky in winter, the lacquer on the sharp edges doesn't seem to adhere very well compared to flat surfaces (understandable). It the lacquer fails due to a stone chip/similar the salt gets underneath and f***s up the finish. Makes it look like you've got cobwebs over the weels.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Another wheel question... before I seal my alloys I need to remove some ingrained brake dust that has accumulated over a couple of weeks. Bilberry wheel cleaner, even when neat can't remove it. What product is best to get this dust off?

Cheers.

ITB BG 182
Another wheel question... before I seal my alloys I need to remove some ingrained brake dust that has accumulated over a couple of weeks. Bilberry wheel cleaner, even when neat can't remove it. What product is best to get this dust off?

Cheers.

Wash the wheel down as you normally would, try claying it aswell, then finally use Iron-X but do it in the shade and leave it for 5 minutes.

I have a freelander that has never really had its wheels cleaned since 1998, iron-x just killed everything stuck to them and now they are alot brighter silver...!

ITB BG 182
OK to the pro's that be.

Carpro's Ceri Polish with Gtech's G5 after OR Autobrites GP with Repel covering?

Which ones more recommendable?

I have a 1998 Freelander with spiderweb marks across the windscreen.

As above re polish with cut versus just a cleaner, but would go for the smaller of the two polishing discs. It requires air of time and effort, John. Budget a good 6 hours for front and rear glass. Keep checking your temperatures as well.

ITB BG 182
So which of the discs are better to get with the ceri polish? 6 hours, not a problem as I will take as long as is needed.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
Ive seen that people can get good results from ordering cerium oxide powder off eBay and making it into a paste with water

Then using a rayon disc via da. Much cheaper

Was gonna try it myself