ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Detailing Chat & Questions Thread

Golf GT & A4 Avant
as said you don't need to clay everytime you wash, only when you want to re apply a new wax or sealant and the previous has failed and allowed for plenty of bonded contaminants.

I typically give it a give going over each spring and it lifts very little from the panel providing my wax or sealant has been relayered or replaced before its durability passes

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
First post in this thread, hoping for some advice on some potential purchases.

Since having a de-cat fitted the exhaust tips are coming in for a pounding, so I'm after some detailed advice on what products to use, and how to use them/in what order.

Having done some searching my initial findings suggest picking up some #00 wire wool along with AutoFinesse Mercury.

- First pass use the w/wool with a small amount of AF Mercury, focussing on small areas at a time.
- Second pass use a microfibre cloth, again with small amounts of AF Mercury to finish.

Will this give me shiny tips?

Secondly, I've never dressed tyres properly and it's about time I did. Again, general consensus suggests Meguiars Endurance is a good place to start, but is their gel the same as the spray, and is one significantly better/easier to apply?

Also, can someone give me a bullet-point step-by-step guide for how to dress tyres, including what products and equipment is best to use. Top tips & tricks gratefully accepted!

Thanks in advance

First post in this thread, hoping for some advice on some potential purchases.

Since having a de-cat fitted the exhaust tips are coming in for a pounding, so I'm after some detailed advice on what products to use, and how to use them/in what order.

Having done some searching my initial findings suggest picking up some #00 wire wool along with AutoFinesse Mercury.

- First pass use the w/wool with a small amount of AF Mercury, focussing on small areas at a time.
- Second pass use a microfibre cloth, again with small amounts of AF Mercury to finish.

Will this give me shiny tips?

Secondly, I've never dressed tyres properly and it's about time I did. Again, general consensus suggests Meguiars Endurance is a good place to start, but is their gel the same as the spray, and is one significantly better/easier to apply?

Also, can someone give me a bullet-point step-by-step guide for how to dress tyres, including what products and equipment is best to use. Top tips & tricks gratefully accepted!

Thanks in advance

I'd try Mercury with a MF before the wool, see how it goes!

The Endurance spray is brilliant if you don't want to use an applicator and just want to take 30 seconds doing it. Lasts around 2 weeks as opposed to the gel lasting a month for me.

They are both very good products though.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Make sure the tyres are properly clean and dry. A really good apc like g101 scrubbed in then dry.

Buy the gel. So much easier to use. Cut a german applicator in half. Keep it in a thick small parcel bag, keep re-using the same applicator and it will load with product and you'll need less and less everytime.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
From the reviews i've seen Dave it's not great. Hence why Russ etc went back to Tardis/IX combo.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I couldnt find much on it, had an order pending with I4d and don't want to buy 5l of a tar remover, not that Tardis is currently in stock. Trying to stop making multiple orders and stick to one firm but it never happens

Golf GT & A4 Avant
You can but it is posted illegally, due to its substance it should be kept in controlled circumstances, ie the tins autosmart supply it in. Plus how do you k ow it's not been watered down

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Tardis typically leaves a film on the paint so a rinse doesnt always remove it fully, but nothing needed inbetween the two processes

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
So with a possible imanant purchase of a red motor car what products do people recomend for it not to go pink lol

Clio 182, Astra Sri
I think most sealants and waxes have nowadays have 'uv protection'

Which I'm sure helps prevent it

Is the paint single stage or has it got lacquer?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols. It's only a car. You've mentioned it a million times.

It's a gorgeous colour btw. Sadly it has issues.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
What's the best product to use to get rid of white marks on black plastic trim (rear bumper insert, exhaust surrounds, wing mirror mounting plates etc)? I've tried some AG stuff, which works for a few minutes then as it dries the marks return, no matter how many coats are applied.

I'm assuming the marks were as a result of some previous wax/sealant?

Last statement is correct, Tim. You need to clean the plastics, rather than covering - as you've found out, they'll only cover for a limited period of time.

Clean using APC, Linseed Oil, WD40, peanut butter or a pencil rubber - all should remove the white marks. Then clean properly, IPA wipe down to remove oils from washing, then apply a trim product.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's perfect mate. Don't make it too strong. Fairy liquid aswell works great.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Last statement is correct, Tim. You need to clean the plastics, rather than covering - as you've found out, they'll only cover for a limited period of time.

Clean using APC, Linseed Oil, WD40, peanut butter or a pencil rubber - all should remove the white marks. Then clean properly, IPA wipe down to remove oils from washing, then apply a trim product.
Thanks JD

Audi A5
Ok so I want to do a paint correction an seal on my 182 as once it's washed and its in the sun I can see lots of swirls, now I'm quite keen to get to grips with this machine polishing malarkey, so as its my first time I'm looking to get a DA so as you know I shouldn't burn the paint.

Now what I'm abit confused about is waxes/sealant/abrasive cutting compounds etc

If their a product out their that does everything? So I could wash the car, clay bar it, apply product via da, wipe down with microfiber cloth an I'm done? Or and I going to have to use two products? One for cutting an one for finishing?

What products do people recommend to beginners for a correction an seal?

And where's the best place to buy a DA and products from?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Before correction, you need to look at your wash technique so you're not inflicting more swirls.

Then before correcting you should cleanse and decontaminate the paintwork properly. There is more than just clay for this to do it properly.

for a start, get looking through the products available on i4detailing, cleanyourcar etc etc. You will see the vast array of different products correcting the swirls, then protecting. There is little need to use both a sealant and a wax as both will protect the paint.

There are all in one products, but these typically have very little cut, will mostly fill and hide swirls, and provide minimal protection. look at SRP or tripple type products.

Audi A5
Thanks for the reply Dave,

As for washing technique, I usually jet wash first to get excess dirt off them apply shampoo via a mitt using the two bucket method, then rinse off with jet wash again and then dry with a shammy.

What else do I need to use to cleanse over than a clay bar?

Ill have a look on them websites now

Cheers bobby